Page 1 of 7
... LastLast
    Deleted

Already BiS Exotic Gear

Heyy i already have my BiS exotic gear !
    So most of you who are reading this and comes from "other games" must be thinking.. nice just few days for the expac and you are over with GW2 good job.
    But let me tell you one thing, now actually starts the fun.

Yeah i have my Power > precision > critic % gear exotic full exotic jewelled (maxed dps for my class) and what should i do now ?
    Hmmm i kinda like grouping up with almost anyone and luckily i have the abillity to play anything so i will try and get my next full exotic gear set probably for surviving. (ENDGAME)

This will kinda take me as long as the other one. When i am done with that one i will get a condition dealer exotic gear obviously i will need for the skin to be drastically different from previous two gear i have.. so i will get them doing a different dungeon. "The ONE i like most" i am never ever going to be pressured by anyone to do it ontime or doing it during a period. (ENDGAME)

Yeeey gr8 now i have two/three gear sets and i have been playing almost 2/3 months.. and i realize that the gear i most like and oftenly use is surviving gear cause it actually makes me get into nice groups and i have loads of fun playing with it. So i decide to get a kinda legendary piece of gear for it what is actually going to make me feel different. (ENDGAME)

So i wake up next morning and lookup for all the stuff i need to get the legendary set/weapon and OMG it asks for loadz of things.. kinda list them one by one :
    Precursor weapon specific to the legendary (ENDGAME)
    500 Dungeon Tokens specific to the legendary (ENDGAME)
    Two level 400 crafting professions specific to the legendary (ENDGAME)
    200 Skill Points (ENDGAME)
    525,000 Karma (ENDGAME)
    120 gold (ENDGAME)
    100% World Completion (ENDGAME)
    500 Badges of Honor (ENDGAME)
    250 Globs of Ectoplasm (ENDGAME)
    250 Vicious Fangs
    250 Vicious Claws
    250 Vials of Powerful Blood
    250 Elaborate Totems
    250 Armored Scales
    250 Ancient Bones
    250 Piles of Crystalline Dust
    250 Powerful Venom Sacs

So i will start by.. doing some dungeons killing mobs and exploring for the 100% World Completion while at the same time gathering some materials i will need for my legendary (ENDGAME)

This will obviously going to take me from weeks to months to get them all... (ENDGAME)

When i finally have my legendary i will still want to make new stuff for different gear sets i already have (ENDGAME)

So probably after getting to the obvious point where people says there is no ENDGAME i have been playing a ENDGAME for almost few years...
    and not mentioning expansion and more open world is on the way...(I GUESS MORE ENDGAME)

So I need a carrot on a stick that makes me feel a donkey and get gear for 1 month ? or i should get gear for years and years of fun ?

Quote Originally Posted by Kenas View Post
    carrot on a stick that makes me feel a donkey
    stay away from those carrots man.

Farming is endgame now? Farming with diminishing returns, no less?

Does max DPS gear really make you useful in explorable Dungeons? I always see people trying for max DPS gear but not getting the theoretical max DPS because they have been downed by a mob and spend more time needing a rez than someone in gear that has toughness or vitality on it that can actually stay alive and damage the mob.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by LordofBones View Post
    Farming is endgame now? Farming with diminishing returns, no less?
    I am sorry i didn´t know what farming is till i played "other games", i am just having fun playing a game i enjoy.

Quote Originally Posted by carnifex2005 View Post
    Does max DPS gear really make you useful in explorable Dungeons? I always see people trying for max DPS gear but not getting the theoretical max DPS because they have been downed by a mob and spend more time needing a rez than someone in gear that has toughness or vitality on it that can actually stay alive and damage the mob.
    I didnt meant to make this thread as for tunning up builds and gears, but i will answer anyways.
    I am really happy having a great dps build and gear, i am sure downed sometimed but this actually makes me get more into the game and party up with people who do actually other stuffs like shield bashing, breaking, stunning, fearing, blinding, crippling.. and so on..
    I am happy to know that when its needed i can actually give my best on dps even if it´s for few secs.
    I would happily want to try other builds, specs, gears and so on.. to decide.

10+ Year Old Account
    Yup looks like you got a lot of grinding to do (endgame)

Ps what is a legendary but a carrot on a stick making you farm and grind to get it..

---------- Post added 2012-09-21 at 06:54 PM ----------

I didnt meant to make this thread as for tunning up builds and gears,
    Na its a flamebait, mainly the way its been written in a condescending manner.

10+ Year Old Account
    Heyy i already have my BiS exotic gear !
    Congratulations!

I'm more of a "stop and smell the roses" kind of gamer, so who knows when I'll ever earn it.
    Sir Robin, the Not-Quite-So-Brave-As-Sir-Lancelot.
    Who had nearly fought the Dragon of Angnor.
    Who had almost stood up to the vicious Chicken of Bristol.
    And who had personally wet himself, at the Battle of Badon Hill.

Quote Originally Posted by carnifex2005 View Post
    It makes you more of a liability to your group if you're pugging, and it pigeon holes what groups you can become a part of in more organized groups. For every second that you’re in a downed state, you’re not doing damage, and anyone helping to revive you isn’t as well.

I run a power/vitality/condition gear build (elementalist) and rarely go down in dungeons unless I tunnel vision something. Being able to take the random un-telegraphed hit without immediately having to run away and heal is more important to me.

If I was melee, I’d absolutely run vitality/toughness/power since mobs tend to aggro melee over ranged for the most part.

10+ Year Old Account
    Yup looks like you got a lot of grinding to do (endgame)
    And thats bad why....?

Because it's not wrapped in fancy foil like WoW where the same grind exists?

So essentially run more dungeons which you have already been doing? I have to say that sounds like terrible end game...........
    Last edited by Darkfrosty; 2012-09-21 at 06:14 PM.

It's only a grind if you look at it as a number to be reached.

Some people like the rewards and see the acquisition of them as an obstacle to overcome. Those people grind.

Some people play the game to play it, and eventually earn enough of whatever they need just by playing the game. These are the people that are going to enjoy GW2 the most.

Of course, it would be nice if the game didn't punish you for focusing on what you enjoy to the exclusion of everything else, but that's a different argument altogether.

Quote Originally Posted by Darkfrosty View Post
    So essentially run more dungeons which you have already been doing? I have to say that sounds like terrible end game...........
    Just like to point out that this is EXACTLY what you do in other games that have "successful" endgame.
    Last edited by rhinomatic; 2012-09-21 at 06:21 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Why does everybody look at all this stuff to do and then go "oh god, so much grinding/farming!" and insert some sarcastic remark as if it counters what the OP is saying? Why do you view grinding/farming as some kind of punishment?

Endgame is always grinding or farming. It's that way in WoW, Rift, SWTOR, Aion, it was that way in City of Heroes... it's that way in every MMORPG. If you hate grinding/farming, you're playing the wrong genre, and you need to go back to LoL or CoD. What do you expect to find in the design of an endgame? Even if there was proper "raiding" in this game, which really will never happen, you'd still just be "grinding" or "farming" out boss kills or progression gear. There is no difference.
    I hope you haven't forgotten my role in this little story. I'm the leading man. You know what they say about the leading man? He never dies.

If you give in to your impulses in this world, the price is that it changes your personality in the real world. The player and character are one and the same.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by DrakeWurrum View Post
    Why does everybody look at all this stuff to do and then go "oh god, so much grinding/farming!" and insert some sarcastic remark as if it counters what the OP is saying? Why do you view grinding/farming as some kind of punishment?

Endgame is always grinding or farming. It's that way in WoW, Rift, SWTOR, Aion, it was that way in City of Heroes... it's that way in every MMORPG. If you hate grinding/farming, you're playing the wrong genre, and you need to go back to LoL or CoD. What do you expect to find in the design of an endgame? Even if there was proper "raiding" in this game, which really will never happen, you'd still just be "grinding" or "farming" out boss kills or progression gear. There is no difference.
    Thank You !!

Well if there were no grinding or farming, there would be an end. If you reach an end in an MMORPG, you stop playing. Thus, by Drake's suggestion, there has to be. The alternative is endless new content produced at such a rate beyond what we've seen, which will be possible once there are so many developers at a company to make that possible.

The alternative is a D3-dungeon-style MMO, whereas the dungeons done are randomly generated, and there are zones like that too. Actually, that's a great idea.

So half of the dungeons are set/fixed, and then there are others set in specific regions giving randomly named bosses and mobs, with random puzzles inserted as well as random events. When this is possible or added to GW2, I will officially name it the greatest MMO ever made.

Imagine, combining the endless dungeon crawling variety with tactics-based dungeon play? Obviously there will be known mechanics to certain types of mobs so people won't be completely unaware...and traps will be similar just set in different ways. Then random events or what not can appear. Yeah, I don't know if it's possible, but that's why people keep playing D3...for the "better gear" and the fact that dungeons are kind-of new every time, so it doesn't feel like you're stuck in the same exact path each time.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by WorldofWorkcraft View Post
    So half of the dungeons are set/fixed, and then there are others set in specific regions giving randomly named bosses and mobs, with random puzzles inserted as well as random events. When this is possible or added to GW2, I will officially name it the greatest MMO ever made.
    Capital idea, good sir! I would really like something like that too.
    Sir Robin, the Not-Quite-So-Brave-As-Sir-Lancelot.
    Who had nearly fought the Dragon of Angnor.
    Who had almost stood up to the vicious Chicken of Bristol.
    And who had personally wet himself, at the Battle of Badon Hill.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Thyr View Post
    And thats bad why....?

Because it's not wrapped in fancy foil like WoW where the same grind exists?
    I didnt say it was bad this guy did though -

" I've never seen anything like that.' In most games, you go out, and you have really fun tasks, occasionally, that you get to do, and the rest of the game is this boring grind to get to the fun stuff. 'I swung a sword. I swung a sword again. Hey! I swung it again.' That's great. We just don't want players to grind in Guild Wars 2. No one enjoys that. No one finds it fun" Colin Johanson

I dont care about grind, Ive done kurenai rep on 4 different characters for the hell of it, grind is inevitable. People just assume because I made a sarcastic comment I think its a negative, however looking at what is on offer for [endgame] just looks really grindy which was suppose to be against guild wars design philosophy. Apart from UO I havent played a mmo without grind, but I also never played one that said they would avoid it.

All I hear is "I'm trying to incite flaming and making myself a fanboy in the process." Don't understand why people feel they need to express why they are playing a game and how it's so much better than other games. Why don't you just quietly play it for the sake of it entertaining you?

Got my exotic greatsword and rifle. Now I'm obliterating people super hard in WvW and enjoying myself. That's my endgame for now.

Waiting for a proper Flamethrower (and other Engineer kit buff) to roll something different.
    "Why do all supposed 'centrists' just sound like right wingers?"

"Also, can I just say that I think AOC would absolutely fucking annihilate Greene if Greene ever dared take an actual swing at her?" -- The state of the MMO-C circlejerk.

Quote Originally Posted by DrakeWurrum View Post
    Why does everybody look at all this stuff to do and then go "oh god, so much grinding/farming!" and insert some sarcastic remark as if it counters what the OP is saying? Why do you view grinding/farming as some kind of punishment?Endgame is always grinding or farming.
    Grinding and farming is not end game. You grind and farm at every level from first to last. End game usually refers to things you can only do at max level. Creating a legendary could be considered end game but grinding and farming countless mats is not something I would call end game.

Mechagnome
    10+ Year Old Account
    What is BIS exotic gear?
    Case: Thermaltake A60
    MB: ASRock Z68 Ext3 Gen3
    CPU: i5 2500k, Windows 8.1 64 Bit
    GPU: HIS 6870 1gb
    PSU: Corsair GS 600
    SSD: Crucial M4 128g