10+ Year Old Account

Final Build Check

Just got some money in and will be ordering this probably later this week. Would like to save where I can, and was hoping to get under $1000, but it is what it is. I also need to get a case, which I may do locally. I also opted for the 660TI over the 660 or something lesser because I don't think I NEED that much power, however it comes with borderlands, which I was going to buy anyway soon.

If I can get Win7 at school for cheaper, I may do that.

I pretty much only play WoW, D3, Borderlands 2, Skyrim. I run dual 24" @ 1920x1080. Games on left, everything else on right. I may overclock the CPU, but only as much as the stock retail cooler will allow.

Mobo: MSI Z77A-G41 ($89 - 10 MIR)
    CPU: Intel Core i5-3570K ($229.99)
    VGA: MSI N660Ti PE 2GD5 GeForce GTX 660 Ti 2GB ($299.99)
    RAM: CORSAIR 8GB (2 x 4GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 ($36.99)
    SSD: Crucial M4 CT256M4SSD2 2.5" 256GB SATA III MLC ($199.99)
    PSU: SeaSonic M12II 520 Bronze 520W ($69.99)
    OS: Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium SP1 64-bit - OEM ($99.99)
    CD: LITE-ON DVD Burner ($16.99)

Total after Shipping: $1050

Sounds pretty legit. I just ordered a slightly lower end system i5 3550 and hd 7870. Best of luck man, my worst fear is something coming doa and I have to sit there with an entire system EXCEPT for like one important part lol.

I'd prefer this card, Sapphire 7950 over the 660Ti, otherwise it looks very solid.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by dogman View Post
    I'd prefer this card, Sapphire 7950 over the 660Ti, otherwise it looks very solid.
    I considered the 7950, but I wanted to get Borderlands 2, as well as I've had issues in the past with a lot of game development and ATI drivers.

10+ Year Old Account
    Great build overall, would recommend shelling out a bit more for an ASRock Z77 Pro3/Pro4 mobo...that MSI Z77 G41 looks shady.
    WoW Character: Wintel - Frostmourne (OCE)
    Gaming rig: i7 7700K, GTX 1080 Ti, 16GB DDR4, BenQ 144hz 1440p

Signature art courtesy of Blitzkatze

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Xuvial View Post
    Great build overall, would recommend shelling out a bit more for an ASRock Z77 Pro3/Pro4 mobo...that MSI Z77 G41 looks shady.
    I actually was planning on getting the Asrock when I first planned this build a couple months ago, and saw that the MSI was cheaper.

I personally love MSI and the quality of their products is fantastic. I've been using (and selling) them for 8 years, and their warranty is top notch. I've never bought an Asrock, and I know people love them for the "Good/Cheap" combo, but if I can get an MSI for the same price or cheaper, I'll definitely go with MSI.

I guess I should ask, why does it "look" shady?

10+ Year Old Account
    A combination of personal preference a minor bias against MSI products based on what I've read around, it's nothing more than an opinion and you're totally in your right to have your heart set on MSI

But still, pay a bit more premium for an MSI board with better OC features. You've got a $1k build and a CPU/GPU with tons of OC headroom. An $88 mobo (it's like the center of your build) just doesn't seem...fitting.

Also I just read you'll only OC as high as the stock cooler will allow. I wouldn't OC at all with stock cooler, or even use the stock cooler with an i5 3570K. WoW and Skyrim love high CPU clocks so I would atleast get a CM Hyper series or Xigmatek Gaia cooler to allow enough wiggle-room for 4.4ghz+.

10+ Year Old Account
    An $88 mobo (it's like the center of your build) just doesn't seem...fitting.
    Honestly, I have never once found a 'more expensive' motherboard to provide anything beneficial, unless it's got something I want specifically, like more RAM slots. Usually when buying a board, I go by Brand > Requirements (4 Ram, 6+ USB, 4+ SATA) > Price, and just find the cheapest that fits those categories.

Also I just read you'll only OC as high as the stock cooler will allow. I wouldn't OC at all with stock cooler, or even use the stock cooler with an i5 3570K.
    From everything I've read on here, people have said that the 3750 has no problems going to 3.7-3.8 on a stock cooler.

While I do understand that WoW and whatnot benefit from CPU, I haven't heard a compelling case that overclocking an extra 200-300mhz is worth the $30 in cooling. Personally, I'm not a huge fan of overclocking, since it increases the risk of damage in the event of fan failure, but that's more paranoia than anything. I just don't see the need to excessively OC. If in fact, that 3750 can't OC on stock, and what I'd read is wrong, I think I'd rather just not OC at all.

10+ Year Old Account
    Might want to check up on those numbers because i5 3570K turbo's to 3.8ghz at stock (i.e. by default), when we say "OC" around here with those chips it's more in the region of 4.4ghz+ :P

But I understand where you're coming from. Enjoy your build

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Xuvial View Post
    Might want to check up on those numbers because i5 3570K turbo's to 3.8ghz at stock (i.e. by default), when we say "OC" around here with those chips it's more in the region of 4.4ghz+ :P
    A quick google actually shows people OC'ing with the stock cooler to the 4.0-4.2 range safely, so... I mean even more so to the point.

I'm upgrading from a Core 2 Duo E7500 and GeForce 460.. so.. yeah.