10+ Year Old Account

Buying a new desktop

Hey guys I'm new here and I'm looking for some help and advice on what computer I should buy.

I know pre-mades are expensive, but I really do not want (nor am I able) to build my own computer so here are the parameters of the computer I want to buy:

My total budget: 1,400$. Shipping from the US to my country costs 10$ for the first half kilogram and 9$ per additional half kilogram for shipping. (1KG=2.2lb) so please keep the weight in mind for the total budget.

Additionally, I'll need a monitor and a keyboard (the 1,400$ budget applies to all shipping costs and the keyboard and the monitor).

I saw a (I think) decent monitor at a retail shop near my house for about 136$. It was from "BenQ". 21.5", LED 1080p resolution and 16:8 widescreen.

I haven't decided on a keyboard but I'd like it to be mechanical, looks sleek and sexy, preferably backlit and looks really "gamerish". So far I've found a 2013 Razer BlackWidow Ultimate for 130$. I really, really like it and I am 90% sure that I am buying that keyboard but I am open to other suggestions (I love Razer products in general and have never encountered any problems with any of my Razer products unlike what some people complain about. I have a Razer Naga Epic, Razer Vespula mousemat, Razer Megalodon Headset, and a Razer Nostromo gamepad.)

Due to the budget and the weight-factor, I was looking for some Small Form Factor Desktops and asked my friends. A friend of mine has an Alienware x51 which he says is really good (it weighs 12 pounds) and runs World of Warcraft and Battlefield 3 for him really well.

I was wondering what you guys think about the Alienware x51 and is there any Small Form Factor pre-made desktop alternatives on a budget? The Alienware x51 on their US website has an i5, 8 Gigs of RAM, and a 1.5GB GDDR5 GTX 660 for 1049$.

If I were to go with what I've said so far, it would be: 1049$ for the desktop + 108$ shipping + 130$ keyboard + 136$ monitor to equal about 1400$.

Any ideas, guys?

An additional reason to why building my own computer might actually be more expensive than this: The shipping charges for every thing I ship in. I'll get charged 10$ for every half-kg of every individual item I bring in. That adds up pretty quickly.

---------- Post added 2012-09-23 at 07:53 PM ----------

Bump. Been up for a half hour and nobody has clicked on the thread :<
    Last edited by Ripox; 2012-09-23 at 03:23 PM.

Deleted
    shipping where to ?
    also pre-built or building self? (not really clear)

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by shroudster View Post
    shipping where to ?
    I know pre-mades are expensive, but I really do not want (nor am I able) to build my own computer so here are the parameters of the computer I want to buy:
    Shipping from the US to my country
    Doesn't matter where I live, I mentioned the shipping costs already. I can order from the US or UK.

The Alienware x51 on their US website has an i5, 8 Gigs of RAM, and a 1.5GB GDDR5 GTX 660 for 1049$.

If I were to go with what I've said so far, it would be: 1049$ for the desktop
    I was wondering what you guys think about the Alienware x51 and is there any Small Form Factor pre-made desktop alternatives on a budget?
    ....Alienware x51 ... pre-made desktop ...
    ...pre-made desktop...
    Quote Originally Posted by shroudster View Post
    shipping where to ?
    I was wondering what you guys think about the Alienware x51 and is there any Small Form Factor pre-made desktop alternatives on a budget?

It's OK mate I don't think I'll need you on this one. Rather have someone actually read my post first.
    Last edited by Ripox; 2012-09-23 at 05:05 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Shipping alone can cost up to $400 from prebuilding sites, so if you honestly want help then list your country.

You also have to take in account for VAT & other goverment payments for import.
    i7-6700k 4.2GHz | Gigabyte GTX 980 | 16GB Kingston HyperX | Intel 750 Series SSD 400GB | Corsair H100i | Noctua IndustialPPC
    ASUS PB298Q 4K | 2x QNIX QH2710 | CM Storm Rapid w/ Reds | Zowie AM | Schiit Stack w/ Sennheiser HD8/Antlion Modmic

Armory

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by inux94 View Post
    Shipping alone can cost up to $400 from prebuilding sites, so if you honestly want help then list your country.

You also have to take in account for VAT & other goverment payments for import.
    I live in the United Arab Emirates. Almost no websites directly ship there. I have a PO BOX / Mailing Address in both England and New York (USA) for Shop-And-Ship. The charges I listed is what I am charged for bringing something from my New York address to my country. (I use the NY one primarily. Never once used the England one)

So I put my NY address for shipping and then it comes here

Deleted
    well if pre-built is the only option i'd suggest http://3xs.scan.co.uk/ShowSystem.asp?SystemID=1266.
    they offer premium parts compared to alienware , while keeping a very good price for their products.
    It is perhaps a bit higher then your budget but since you wanted to pay that much for shipping i figured you might be interested in this one.

10+ Year Old Account
    £1000 rounds up to $1600, Shroudster.

http://www.dinopc.com/shop/pc/config...idproduct=1064
    8GB DDR3 1333mhz

1TB S-ATAIII
    OR
    Corsair 120GB Force3 if you can reuse your harddrive from your previous rig.

Leaves $100 for shipping, taxes, VAT etc.
    i7-6700k 4.2GHz | Gigabyte GTX 980 | 16GB Kingston HyperX | Intel 750 Series SSD 400GB | Corsair H100i | Noctua IndustialPPC
    ASUS PB298Q 4K | 2x QNIX QH2710 | CM Storm Rapid w/ Reds | Zowie AM | Schiit Stack w/ Sennheiser HD8/Antlion Modmic

Armory

Deleted
    they got more models it just was the only link left in my browser history :P

10+ Year Old Account
    Gonna need better help than that.

Anyone care to offer their two-cents on the x51?

Its an overpriced $1000 dollar piece of garbage. Just my 2 cents tho.

I5 3570k $239
    Asrock Z77 pro 3 $94
    Asus DC2 7850 $187
    Corsair Vengeance 8Gb $38
    Samsung 830 128Gb $119 (currently)
    WD Cav Blue 500Gb $69
    NZXT Source $44
    Seasonic 520w modular $69
    Samsung DVD burner $16
    Windows7 64bit $99

Total ~$975 USD

That should leave you plenty of room for your shipping needs since all your parts should be elgibile for cheap or free shipping to New york youd only pay for your shipping to your country. The 7850 performs on par with a 660 but the 660 in that machine will be a no name 95% of the time, You would be getting an SSD in this build, better CPU, Mobo, PSU, name brand video card. And being cheaper over all. Also just went and checked shipping cost to your country was about $260 USD for about 50lbs of packages which is over estimating lol.
    Last edited by demonskies; 2012-09-24 at 07:34 PM.
    CPU:i5 4670k@4.3Ghz GPU:Gigabyte GTX760 WF3 Mobo:Asrock Z87E-ITX RAM:8Gb GSkill Ares@1600MhzCase:Atomic Orange Bit Fenix Prodigy Cooling: Corsair H100i HDD:1Tb WD Cav Black SSD: Samsung 830 128Gb PSU:Seasonic M2II620 KB:Razer Black Widow Mouse:Razer Naga 2014

10+ Year Old Account
    I really cba building my own computer, though. + I'd be paying more overall due to shipping charges to my country by going with that build.

I have an x-51 and love it. I have never had an issue with it and it handles WOW on ultra for me just fine. WoW is all I play though some of the better games may not be as great. If you call them instead of ordering online, the sales person will get you a better deal, I started building one online and then decided to call because the website was acting funny and ended up getting 10% off that wasn't listed online, plus upgraded to 2 day shipping and I had it with-in the week.

Lots of people hate on the X51 because its pre-built....and you COULD make something better if you pieced it together and did all the work yourself, but I consider my time to be worth more than the small amount of savings, I would have gotten had I parted it out and then built it. Plus there is a warranty! even though its not great its better than nothing.