Page 1 of 20
... LastLast

Never speak to the police.

No lawyer or even police officer will tell you it's a good idea. And I don't mean "if they bring you in for questioning, don't speak". I mean "Just straight up never fucking talk to them." Here's a law school professor and police detective to tell you why!

Basically it boils down to "You don't know if you're a person of interest and while anything you say can be used AGAINST you, nothing you say can be used FOR you as it boils down to hearsay."

So it's pretty much our job as citizens to make their jobs as difficult as possible lest we run the risk of incriminating ourselves.

Anyone who is not braindead knows this already.

Offtopic: We should find a different name for "Justice System". Because "justice system" has nothing to do with justice. Its a play without script, but a play nontheless, truth here does not matter and only thing of consequence, is whether the viewers are in your side or not.

Quote Originally Posted by artemishunter1 View Post
    Anyone who is not braindead knows this already.

Offtopic: We should find a different name for "Justice System". Because "justice system" has nothing to do with justice. Its a play without script, but a play nontheless, truth here does not matter and only thing of consequence, is whether the viewers are in your side or not.
    Some people get it in their heads that they should behave like people on Law & Order. They will speak to the police if they come knocking on their door asking about a crime because "Hey, I had nothing to do with it. I shouldn't have anything to be afraid of."

Well the truth is you DO have plenty to be afraid of. 5 minutes into that video he gives a perfect example of why you should NEVER talk to the police even if you have nothing to hide.

10+ Year Old Account
    FUCK THA POLICE

Infracted - Contribute to the discussion when you post.
    Last edited by Dacien; 2012-09-24 at 05:39 AM.

10+ Year Old Account
    I'm a Police Officer and I enjoy speaking to the public, people are very friendly and I enjoy meeting them. I would never do anything like what is suggested in the video.

I'm a person too you know, I'm not a bad guy :/

10+ Year Old Account
    A good example of this is if a police officer pulls you over and asks "how fast do you think you were going?" or "why do you think i pulled you over"

you don't have to answer. just be polite and ask him to tell you, public officers of the law have to answer you, don't incriminate yourself.

Quote Originally Posted by The EagleOwl Mage View Post
    I'm a Police Officer and I enjoy speaking to the public, people are very friendly and I enjoy meeting them. I would never do anything like what is suggested in the video.

It's possible that you wouldn't, but the fact is that there's no way speaking to the police can help anyone. It can ONLY hurt.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Bombino View Post
    A good example of this is if a police officer pulls you over and asks "how fast do you think you were going?" or "why do you think i pulled you over"

you don't have to answer. just be polite and ask him to tell you, public officers of the law have to answer you, don't incriminate yourself.
    I don't ask that, I tell them why.

Quote Originally Posted by Bombino View Post

I agree with this entirely. I once had a police officer ask me that and when I said "How fast?" he said "I clocked you going 51 but you were probably doing about 60 around that corner."

But he was forced to give me a ticket. For doing 51 in a 50. I'm not kidding. Answering his "innocent" little question could have doubled or tripled my fine.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Laize View Post
    It's possible that you wouldn't, but the fact is that there's no way speaking to the police can help anyone. It can ONLY hurt.
    Asking witnesses is very helpful.......

10+ Year Old Account
    I don't ask that, I tell them why.
    That's good then. Don't worry, I'm not attacking police officers or anything. Just giving info to the public that I didn't know until years after I had my license.

10+ Year Old Account

Do you agree with every single law that has been written by your government? This is the reason I could never be a cop. Not attacking you, but I could never submit to the state in such a way.

Keep up the good work though dude *seriously*.

Asking witnesses is very helpful.......
    Nope. Without some sort of immunity I don't care if I witnessed a murder. You can never know whether or not you're a "person of interest" and therefore should never attempt to help the police.

Deleted
    Too bad this only applies to the US

In Finland you have to answer in many situations.

The Patient
    10+ Year Old Account
    That is patently the worst advice ever. If you've committed a crime, you probably shouldn't talk to police, since it's their job to arrest you. If you haven't, the police can't do their job to help the general public without the help of the general public, and they know that. Not talking to the police helps absolutely nobody.

So go ahead, don't talk to the police, and don't expect the police to be able to actually help and protect you. No law professor actually thinks it's a bad idea to talk to the police unless you've committed a crime.

Quote Originally Posted by Kangodo View Post
    Yes, if you want to live your entire life being paranoid.

Well, duuh.Ofcourse you aren't going to answer with "Because of the one pound cocaine I hid in my trunk?", but never talking at all is just some tin-foil-hat material.
    The law professor in the video gives VERY good reasons and perfectly valid factual examples of why it's not paranoia.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Medieve View Post
    Not talking to the police helps absolutely nobody.
    It helps yourself. Even if you've done nothing wrong, you expose yourself to unnecessary risks. Unless you feel you're willing to take those risks to help solve the crime, it's better to STFU.

Police are supposed to be public defenders, but the only thing they're good at is collecting money.
    Whenever I see a police officer sitting off the side of a road waiting to catch someone going 5mph over the speed limit I feel relieved, because that means every murderer, robber, and gunman has been caught.

Well I agree. You never know what info they're fishing for or who they're thinking is a person of interest.

Quote Originally Posted by Medieve View Post
    That is patently the worst advice ever. If you've committed a crime, you probably shouldn't talk to police, since it's their job to arrest you. If you haven't, the police can't do their job to help the general public without the help of the general public, and they know that. Not talking to the police helps absolutely nobody.

So go ahead, don't talk to the police, and don't expect the police to be able to actually help and protect you. No law professor actually thinks it's a bad idea to talk to the police unless you've committed a crime.
    No, ask ANY law professor or defense attorney whether talking to the police has been something they suggested.

Seriously, watch the video. It's not a crackpot doing a video from his bunker. It's a law professor at a Virginia University with a DETECTIVE as a guest speaker both saying the same thing.

Honestly, just watch it. I know it's 48 minutes long but the information is invaluable.