Thread: Mouse Help

Mouse Help

Several months ago, I came here to ask for help finding a new keyboard. I ended up with the Sidewinder X4 (which has mostly been good), and now I'm returning because my mouse has failed. I was going to go with my backup mouse, but it actually went bad within 10 minutes of using it (it was boxed up for several months). At first, I had a Logitech M500, but it had something happen--I don't remember what. After that, I got a cheap, black Logitech (the backup that went bad the other day) as a stopgap until I got the Logitech MX518 (which my dad has used without issue for probably a couple of years).

The MX518 has been cutting in and out a lot, until it just finally stopped wanting to do anything of use last night or so. I got the random black backup out, and it immediately wasn't working. I'm using my cousin's mouse for the moment (he has a laptop and a mouse). This all means that I have no working mouse of my own now, and I need to find a new one.

I am not sure if I want to go with Logitech again, but I am certainly willing to listen. I've had 3 go bad, but I am rather rough with them (the MX518 has fallen from my bed onto the hard floor on MANY occasions). My only real concern for features is that it is a 4-button (left-click, right-click, forward, and back) mouse with a wheel and decent dpi (admittedly don't know what is a solid dpi, but the 518 was at 1,800). I'd like to keep it under $75 for sure, maybe under $50, if possible. I don't have a brand preference by default, so as long as it funstions and has 4 buttons, I'll consider it.

Thanks in advance for any input.

10+ Year Old Account
    Logitech G400, it's the successor of MX518 (mostly discontinued now) with a slightly improved opitics and texture/grip.

Either that MX518 was already dying or you need to learn to be atleast *slightly* more careful with your mice, because if you managed to break an MX518 then I would be hard-pressed to name a mouse you wouldn't break lol. As some others have said it's the Half Life 2 of mice.

If you've been turned off Logitech, I suppose could recommend a Mionix Naos.
    Last edited by Xuvial; 2012-09-24 at 08:06 AM.
    WoW Character: Wintel - Frostmourne (OCE)
    Gaming rig: i7 7700K, GTX 1080 Ti, 16GB DDR4, BenQ 144hz 1440p

Signature art courtesy of Blitzkatze

10+ Year Old Account
    I use 2 different Logitechs that are very similar. The Performance MX which I've had for about a year and a half and is kinda my backup now. And the G700 which I've had for roughly 6 months now. I got the Performance MX back when it was like $120 and was so bitter when I 1st bought it cuz of the price. But to be honest, i'd buy it again for that price. They both share a similar body and fit great in your hand. They have this nice little angle to them so you can use them for hours and your hand never cramps up. The only reason I upgraded to the G700 is because I wanted just a few more buttons on my mouse. The main difference between the 2 are the G700 has about 6 more buttons and glides a lot better on my mouse pad. It is also all black. The only negative is the battery life in the G700 is only about 8 hours. Which isn't to bad if you get in the habit of plugging it in every night. The Performance MX battery life seems to last FOREVER. I was pissed at the G700 at first because I was so used to only having to plug my Performance MX in once a week. But you get over it once you feel the smoothness and having the extra buttons. The other thing about the G700 is I read a lot of complaints about the texture of it rubbing off on newegg. I do graphic design for work and WoW for play so I spend anywhere from 8-14 hours a day in front of a computer and in 6 months my G700 is as good as new.

Other thing is both these mice go for about $80 so a bit over your price range. But to be honest, you won't regret spending that much on either. I would go for the G700 over the Performance MX if I personally had to chose just one.

Hope I help ya and good luck!
    Don't dish it if you can't take it...
    WotLK was/is the best expansion. It is not up for debate, just accept it.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Akiliez View Post
    I got the Performance MX back when it was like $120
    That's hilarious. Logitech overprice their crap way worse than even Apple.

Quote Originally Posted by Akiliez View Post
    I use 2 different Logitechs that are very similar. The Performance MX which I've had for about a year and a half and is kinda my backup now. And the G700 which I've had for roughly 6 months now. I got the Performance MX back when it was like $120 and was so bitter when I 1st bought it cuz of the price. But to be honest, i'd buy it again for that price. They both share a similar body and fit great in your hand. They have this nice little angle to them so you can use them for hours and your hand never cramps up. The only reason I upgraded to the G700 is because I wanted just a few more buttons on my mouse. The main difference between the 2 are the G700 has about 6 more buttons and glides a lot better on my mouse pad. It is also all black. The only negative is the battery life in the G700 is only about 8 hours. Which isn't to bad if you get in the habit of plugging it in every night. The Performance MX battery life seems to last FOREVER. I was pissed at the G700 at first because I was so used to only having to plug my Performance MX in once a week. But you get over it once you feel the smoothness and having the extra buttons. The other thing about the G700 is I read a lot of complaints about the texture of it rubbing off on newegg. I do graphic design for work and WoW for play so I spend anywhere from 8-14 hours a day in front of a computer and in 6 months my G700 is as good as new.

Other thing is both these mice go for about $80 so a bit over your price range. But to be honest, you won't regret spending that much on either. I would go for the G700 over the Performance MX if I personally had to chose just one.

Hope I help ya and good luck!

One thing that I should have mentioned is that I want a wired mouse. I'm still paranoid enough to not want to trust wireless peripherals much. I got one of Microsoft's $80 wireless mice back in 2009, and it didn't last too long before the USB stick malfunctioned, and now it's been sitting in a drawer for probably more than 2 years. I am also not a big fan of wireless because of the charging, as there are definitely days I coudl stay in front of the computer for 5-8 hours straight, which would be an issue with batter life on the G700.

---------- Post added 2012-09-24 at 01:58 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Xuvial View Post
    Logitech G400, it's the successor of MX518 (mostly discontinued now) with a slightly improved opitics and texture/grip.

Either that MX518 was already dying or you need to learn to be atleast *slightly* more careful with your mice, because if you managed to break an MX518 then I would be hard-pressed to name a mouse you wouldn't break lol. As some others have said it's the Half Life 2 of mice.

If you've been turned off Logitech, I suppose could recommend a Mionix Naos.
    Yes, I was extremely rude to that mouse, not even going to lie. It's fallen to the floor, which is a hard surface, on probably mroe than a dozen occasions. My bed's about 3 feet above that surface, so it was getting a decent shock anytime it fell. That's why the malfunctioning of it doesn't turn me off to Logitech--I was excessively abusive towards the thing, so I don't blame Logitech. My dad's had one of them for probably 2 years or more without fail, which is part of why I got it.

Also, what is with the naming scheme of Logitech that a G400 succeeds an MX518?

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by zeophor View Post
    That's hilarious. Logitech overprice their crap way worse than even Apple.
    Just like with Razer.

In all seriousness, you're getting one of the best mice in the market for $40. (G400, as unbreakable as the MX518)

Quote Originally Posted by Lilfrier View Post

Also, what is with the naming scheme of Logitech that a G400 succeeds an MX518?
    Says "The new MX518!" on the box, and I must say it feels like having a MX518 when holding the G400.
    Last edited by inux94; 2012-09-24 at 04:18 PM.
    i7-6700k 4.2GHz | Gigabyte GTX 980 | 16GB Kingston HyperX | Intel 750 Series SSD 400GB | Corsair H100i | Noctua IndustialPPC
    ASUS PB298Q 4K | 2x QNIX QH2710 | CM Storm Rapid w/ Reds | Zowie AM | Schiit Stack w/ Sennheiser HD8/Antlion Modmic

Armory

Quote Originally Posted by inux94 View Post
    Just like with Razer.

In all seriousness, you're getting one of the best mice in the market for $40. (G400, as unbreakable as the MX518)
    Yeah, and I managed to abuse the MX518 until it broke, haha. I'm way too careless with my mouse.

Quote Originally Posted by inux94 View Post
    Says "The new MX518!" on the box, and I must say it feels like having a MX518 when holding the G400.

I agree that it looks just like the 518, except with different coloring. I just thought that they would have a consistent naming scheme for their products, since you see them sold as "M," "MX," "G," and so on. I would expect the MX518's successor to be called the MX600 or MX618 or something, not the G400. I would expect the G400 to be the predecessor to the G500, which admittedly looks more like a successor to my first mouse, the M500.

10+ Year Old Account
    G is for gimmicks (ie. the keyboards with LED's)

Stay away from the G500, it's goddamn awful.
    i7-6700k 4.2GHz | Gigabyte GTX 980 | 16GB Kingston HyperX | Intel 750 Series SSD 400GB | Corsair H100i | Noctua IndustialPPC
    ASUS PB298Q 4K | 2x QNIX QH2710 | CM Storm Rapid w/ Reds | Zowie AM | Schiit Stack w/ Sennheiser HD8/Antlion Modmic

Armory

If the "G" is for "gimmicks," then I should also avoid the G400, right? What SHOULD I get then?

Also, I have a Sidewinder X4 keyboard with LEDs, and they're not a gimmick. They're incredibly useful for typing at night, when I am unable to see my keyboard.

Seriously if youre that prone to breaking mice you should probably just get a $30 Microsoft Intellimouse from Walmart .
    CPU:i5 4670k@4.3Ghz GPU:Gigabyte GTX760 WF3 Mobo:Asrock Z87E-ITX RAM:8Gb GSkill Ares@1600MhzCase:Atomic Orange Bit Fenix Prodigy Cooling: Corsair H100i HDD:1Tb WD Cav Black SSD: Samsung 830 128Gb PSU:Seasonic M2II620 KB:Razer Black Widow Mouse:Razer Naga 2014

A bit more serious and less trolling would be helpful.

Logitech G-series means they are the gaming-brand. In difference to other gaming-branded peripherals, a select few of Logitech's selection are fantastic.
    The G400 is arguably one of the absolute best budget-gaming mouse there is.
    The Saitek Cyborg R.A.T. 3 might be interesting.
    Or the Razer Deathadder.
    Or the Microsoft Sidewinder X3.