Page 1 of 2
LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account

Question Has this ever happened to you?

Where you would buy a game not knowing too much about it but you're pretty hyped up to play it having a lot of hope for the game only to find out it's a huge disappointment and a let down that it makes you not want to play it anymore, even after like 5 min of playing it. But since you only played it for a little bit you decide to give it another try weeks or months later and it turns out you actually like the game.

Just recently I tried out the first Borderlands again after not liking it the first time and I ended up actually liking it. It happened to a couple of other games I played too most of them were older games like PS2/Gamecube.

Has this ever happened to you? If so which game was it?
    - "If you have a problem figuring out whether you're for me or Trump, then you ain't black" - Jo Bodin, BLM supporter
    - "I got hairy legs that turn blonde in the sun. The kids used to come up and reach in the pool & rub my leg down so it was straight & watch the hair come back up again. So I learned about roaches, I learned about kids jumping on my lap, and I love kids jumping on my lap...” - Pedo Joe

10+ Year Old Account
    Dead Island. Got it, hated it. Came back a year later, started to like it. Even though I got bored pretty fast I realized its actually a pretty good game.

15+ Year Old Account
    Not really. 5 minutes into a new game is all I need to judge whether the game is for me or not. I've tried coming back to games later on, but it never catches with me.
    DISCLAIMER: Reader discretion advised. The above post is entirely fictional and purely for entertainment purposes only. Any similarities to real life events, animals, humans, persons, politicians, or any other form of entity, living, dead or in any other state of existence, is purely coincidental. The author cannot and will not be held accountable for such similarities or any other parallels that are imagined and/or drawn by you, the reader, between the above fictional work and real life events.

Neverwinter Nights 2, spent 2 weeks playing the first 2 hours of it, then proceeded to play close to a hundred of hours in the next couple of weeks or so, Oblivion, quite the same and TERA.

15+ Year Old Account
    Back in the day, when I was a kid, you used to go to the store (usually Toys R US) and look at the big board of games available and had to pick. At the time I didn't have a Nintendo Power subscription and wasn't looking at any other game magazines, internet was still 10 years away, so I would just have to go off of what was on the box.

Suffice to say I bought some real stinkers.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Ibbi View Post
    Not really. 5 minutes into a new game is all I need to judge whether the game is for me or not. I've tried coming back to games later on, but it never catches with me.
    Five minutes? The opening cinematic wouldn't even be over!

That's part of the reason I don't do that. I have to play it for at least a couple hours before I decide I don't like it. So to answer the question, no, I don't think that's happened to me.

10+ Year Old Account
    Had that with Old Republic, ended up loving it, but forced to quit cause the lack of friends playing it.
    Jugg Death's Demise - Impetus Norvegicus - Kazzak EU

Uh, this has happened to me, I can't think of the game. Pokemon White I wasn't even going to buy because I thought it was going to be garbage after Gen 4, however, I bought it, and it's my favorite Pokemon game so far, and now I love the series again for more than nostalgia.
    Last edited by Digglett; 2012-09-24 at 11:23 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Played a beta for a little game-mod called Counter-Strike back in 1999 and didn't like it very much since I preferred HLDM, buut I picked CS up again at version 1.1 which then turned into a 6 year addiction untill I discovered WoW

Wasn't much a fan of Wind Waker at first for some reason(no idea why, really). Skelington got to the fortress at the beginning and didn't play it for a month or so after, but now he likes it.

The GBA Fire Emblem he thought was just some stupid garbage-quality game that his brother bought until he finally played it about 2 years later. Now he loves the series.

Probably going to happen with Chrono Trigger in a few weeks or months. Not even out of the festival and Skelington just got tired of it.

Mortal Kombat 4.

Deleted
    99 nights. Got it because I played the dynasty warriors games and it seemed similar, didnt like it at first, tried again about a month later and loved it, funny how it works like that sometimes.

Deleted
    Had this with Dead Island and Diablo 3 so far. So disappointed by those games.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Geminiwolf View Post
    Where you would buy a game not knowing too much about it but you're pretty hyped up to play it having a lot of hope for the game only to find out it's a huge disappointment and a let down that it makes you not want to play it anymore, even after like 5 min of playing it. But since you only played it for a little bit you decide to give it another try weeks or months later and it turns out you actually like the game.

Just recently I tried out the first Borderlands again after not liking it the first time and I ended up actually liking it. It happened to a couple of other games I played too most of them were older games like PS2/Gamecube.

Has this ever happened to you? If so which game was it?
    Welcome to the phenomenon known as "did not do the research." I basically don't buy games at full price, so I'm able to wait for reviews and even let's plays (always with sound off) to see what the game's actually like, versus what trailers and hype want me to think.

Of course, sometimes you get screwed due to impatience. I just blew $8.99 on Anna, and it's quite possibly the worst "game" I've played in the past ten years.
    http://steamcommunity.com/id/PizzaSHARK
    Quote Originally Posted by Ryan Cailan Ebonheart View Post
    I also do landscaping on weekends with some mexican kid that I "hired". He's real good because he's 100% obedient to me and does everything I say while never complaining. He knows that I am the man in the relationship and is completely submissive towards me as he should be.
    Quote Originally Posted by SUH View Post
    Crissi the goddess of MMO, if i may. ./bow

10+ Year Old Account
    Mass Fucking Effect. The first few hours of ME1 is awful, I put the game down after that and didnt come back for months. When I did come back however, I was glad I did.

Quote Originally Posted by PizzaSHARK View Post
    Of course, sometimes you get screwed due to impatience. I just blew $8.99 on Anna, and it's quite possibly the worst "game" I've played in the past ten years.
    Oh god Anna was awful.
    Quote Originally Posted by Asphyxes View Post
    Taco dinner, movie at my mancave then I'll surprise her with a TCG tabard and tell her I love her.
    Quote Originally Posted by Lazuli View Post
    my gf left me, should i Just go gay?
    Xothic - Prot Paladin

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Xothic View Post
    Mass Fucking Effect. The first few hours of ME1 is awful, I put the game down after that and didnt come back for months. When I did come back however, I was glad I did.

Oh god Anna was awful.
    Yeah. We had a brownout and my computer lost power just long enough to reboot. Fire up Anna again, and... wat. No autosave? Seriously? Then I looked at a guide and saw I had like 5 minutes left to play and I was like "alright w/e fuck this shit."

I swear that game has every single thing wrong about adventure games in it.
    http://steamcommunity.com/id/PizzaSHARK
    Quote Originally Posted by Ryan Cailan Ebonheart View Post
    I also do landscaping on weekends with some mexican kid that I "hired". He's real good because he's 100% obedient to me and does everything I say while never complaining. He knows that I am the man in the relationship and is completely submissive towards me as he should be.
    Quote Originally Posted by SUH View Post
    Crissi the goddess of MMO, if i may. ./bow

Deleted
    My first real MMO. Dark Age of Camelot. Bought it, played it for a couple of days, wasnt at all impressed and at that time thought "Internet should be free, and I will never pay for a sub". Was tricked back by a friend when the Shrouded Isle expansion released. Have payed for at least one subscription ever sense (Dark Age of Camelot, Planetside, World of Warcraft, SW:TOR and TERA).

10+ Year Old Account
    Only one that comes to mind is Bayonetta. I tried the demo and hate it. Years later I read how it had aged better than DMC and that some of the guys that worked on God Hand worked on Bayonetta, so I decided to give it another go (it was under $10 used on Amazon). I had a blast and really enjoyed the game.

Deleted
    No, because i'm not that stupid to buy games that I don't know nothing about...

Deleted
    WoW. My friend gave it to me to try out. I didnt have a clue what it was about. played it till lvl 8-10, told my friend what garbage it was. then after a week or so I didnt have anything better to do so I started playing and played a good 3-4 years :P