Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    I don't see the expansion as game changing' I just see it as a continuation of what Trion has been doing for 18 months now.
    As far as expansions go it doesn't seem revolutionary at all, new zones, new questing styles, new dungeons, new souls, etc, etc isn't anything remarkable. The remarkable part is the pace and the high base upon which this expansion is being developed. What really boggles the mind is that the pace of content delivery on LIVE far surpasses any other game, regardless of genre, whilst simultaneously producing this enormous expansion. That is what is revolutionary.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Arothand View Post
    The only fault I have with Rift is: A) My computer barely plays it, and B) All the people I know play WoW and won't switch (or switched at launch and didn't like it). Thus, I remain with WoW although I really want to abandon it entirely, it's just hard going from a game where you are friendly with people to a game where you know pretty much nobody.
    I'm quite positive this is the major reason WoW is still doing so well today and I have the same "problem" as you all my gaming friends just refuse to try anything else for some odd freaking reason, not that it's impossible to make new gaming buddies but some you've had for years and like to keep in touch with.

Quote Originally Posted by Digglett View Post
    You know, I never did get to try out Instant Adventure, so that might help me a bit.
    On top of IA and questing there are other viable leveling paths. It is actually completely viable to level entirely through PvP. You get a very decent amount of XP in PvP and know several people who have leveled to 50 almost entirely via PvP never touching IA. Dungeons are also a very good way to level. It's been a few months since I hit max level, and was before the lower level IAs so that was not an option for me until 45. I ran a lot of dungeons though and was able to get a level every dungeon or two. Que times are not bad at lower levels, there are a lot of new players leveling right now and a lot of old players leveling alts to try out the new souls when SL comes out or just because they are bored. Either way the ques are not bad at any level for dungeons and you can que for a dungeon, then join IA while waiting for que now.

In short, if one leveling path bores you, there are others to try.

Quote Originally Posted by Digglett View Post
    I tried, I really did. The leveling was just too boring and uninspired, I didn't care about the quests, and the zones were just.. boring. I wanted to hit level cap to try out raiding, I just never had the drive.

I kind of wish I did get to try out raiding, Trion seems to be doing very well in terms of content amount, and getting it out.
    Yea, Rift's questing scheme is sorta... terrible. The world is sorta drab too.

As I said, there are definitely stylistic choices in the game that can put off some players more than others. Seems pretty reasonable & common with any game really.

I feel like the only silver lining to the questing system in Rift was that it was fast. Really, really fast. Like /played 30 hours to hit cap before they added all these boosters. Even faster now with Instant Adventures and cross realm LFG. Though that doesn't make it any less dull.

Wish more games went Secret World route of no levels. I honestly am sick of leveling up in games to play the parts I enjoy/interested in. Rift is pretty boring in that regard, yea. Agreed.

Quote Originally Posted by Fencers View Post
    Yea, Rift's questing scheme is sorta... terrible. The world is sorta drab too.
    If the SL quests are anything like they were on Ember Isle, they'll be pretty awesome. The old world quests are overwhelmingly "meh" to me, but EI was actually pretty awesome.

I agree though, I really don't like the leveling in games with an end-game focus. Feels like a super long, drawn out tutorial. Would definitely like it if they either just cut it down dramatically, or allowed you to power through it MUCH faster for alts (like, a matter of hours rather than double digit time investments).

Quote Originally Posted by edgecrusherO0 View Post
    If the SL quests are anything like they were on Ember Isle, they'll be pretty awesome. The old world quests are overwhelmingly "meh" to me, but EI was actually pretty awesome.

I agree though, I really don't like the leveling in games with an end-game focus. Feels like a super long, drawn out tutorial. Would definitely like it if they either just cut it down dramatically, or allowed you to power through it MUCH faster for alts (like, a matter of hours rather than double digit time investments).
    One thing I really enjoy about EI is the "Protect this area from invasions". I find those to be extremely fun. Almost like a RTS mixed with RPG.

Quote Originally Posted by notorious98 View Post
    One thing I really enjoy about EI is the "Protect this area from invasions". I find those to be extremely fun. Almost like a RTS mixed with RPG.
    Yeah, they're a nice little break from normal questing. That whole zone was spectacularly designed IMO. The random one off quests you find around the zone, the storyline quests that don't "force" you into lore madness but makes it very easily digestible even for people who don't give a hoot about lore (me), the MUCH improved zone events. It's just really well made.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Tharkkun View Post
    So basically, you were playing a game for 5+ and moved on? In 5 years when people start to move on from Rift you can reference this post. The fact that Wow is going strong after 8 years is a testament to it's staying power. I'm bored of Wow but I don't make up excuses as to why. It's just old.

There are 81 zones on the two continents. All but one were re-designed in Cat. Rift has about 3 expansions to go to catch up imo.
    That's a bit of an absurd analogy. What matters in an mmo is "current" content. As it stands right now, Rift has more content than Cata had at end of it's life cycle.

Honestly don't want to get in to a This-game-vs-that-game, but please... no-one really gives a crap about old content except a few people.

What is it with people and their damn blind infatuation with a game like you are in love with and trying to win the affection of the same damn woman? Sheeez. It's a game. You are allowed to like and play more than one. One can be better than another, some people can prefer one of the other.

Feature for feature, Rift has more stuff than WoW Cata and Rift SL will by all appearances be bigger and probably have more to do than WoW MoP. If you like WoW, fine. GW2 added things that both WoW and Rift don't have and does things differently. It's okay. Nothing is going to happen. You can play whatever you want. Just stop the damn blind infatuation. Sheeez.

You can "move on" from an mmo at any time. No-one is going to hate you for it. WoW, "she" will forgive you. So will "Rift" and "GW2".

Quote Originally Posted by theWocky View Post
    Feature for feature, Rift has more stuff than WoW Cata and Rift SL will by all appearances be bigger and probably have more to do than WoW MoP. If you like WoW, fine. GW2 added things that both WoW and Rift don't have and does things differently. It's okay. Nothing is going to happen. You can play whatever you want. Just stop the damn blind infatuation. Sheeez.
    But....but....Rift won't have pokemon....and in WoW, you can no longer screw up your spec and have a bad build!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Lathais View Post
    But....but....Rift won't have pokemon....and in WoW, you can no longer screw up your spec and have a bad build!!!!
    Gameboys are so hard to come by. I have to open my desk drawer and select one of my collection. ;P

As for MoP's talents, they make me sad when i used to think i could be a hybrid shaman, or a hybrid class and general.

Deleted
    It just came to my knowledge they are adding cloaks in rift, I was a nutter for wardrobes, I have to check this out!

Quote Originally Posted by Tankendog View Post
    Gameboys are so hard to come by. I have to open my desk drawer and select one of my collection. ;P

As for MoP's talents, they make me sad when i used to think i could be a hybrid shaman, or a hybrid class and general.
    Can't do that anymore because, why should you be able to build the class however the fuck you feel with whatever talents you so choose, right?

Keep it on Rift guys. WoW's got it's own forums if you want to discuss the new talent system.

The Unstoppable Force DeltrusDisc's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by paxx0r View Post
    Trion is the gaming market equivalent to Apple, quality, innovation/innovative improvements and good service <3
    There are many many many people, who would whole-heartedly disagree, because Apple does not innovate and from what I can tell, their service is less than satisfactory. Quality? Depends on what you think is quality. I personally build computers and hate Apple for what they try and force onto people and how much they charge for stuff that shouldn't charge a third of said cost.

Anyways, that's not on-topic, I really suggest you not make such statements on the internet, you're asking for flaming.
    "A flower.
    Yes. Upon your return, I will gift you a beautiful flower."

"Remember. Remember... that we once lived..."

Quote Originally Posted by mmocd061d7bab8 View Post
    yeh but lava is just very hot water

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by paxx0r View Post
    Trion is the gaming market equivalent to Apple, quality, innovation/innovative improvements and good service <3
    One little problem: No one's ever heard of them. At least not the masses. Are the masses necessary for a successful game? Of course not, but this is a thread about redefinition of a time-tested concept; expansion packs. How influential does it have to be for this to be considered a redefinition? Does anyone but Rifts' niche even notice?
    Mountains rise in the distance stalwart as the stars, fading forever.
    Roads ever weaving, soul ever seeking the hunter's mark.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Tankendog View Post
    Id really like to do podcasts of my own, maybe with new players and those of old here, say a MMO-Champion Rift Series Podcast.
    I'd really like to do something like this too, perhaps a Skype thing recorded for YouTube or w.e, I'm very interested. Maybe we could start a thread on here seeing who would like to get involved! Kind of like "Game Station" or w.e the thing is, that DevoLore is apart of.

---------- Post added 2012-09-27 at 12:30 AM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Manekk View Post
    I'm quite positive this is the major reason WoW is still doing so well today and I have the same "problem" as you all my gaming friends just refuse to try anything else for some odd freaking reason, not that it's impossible to make new gaming buddies but some you've had for years and like to keep in touch with.
    Is it really so odd? People don't like change, naturally. It just all comes down to if and when they get sick of whatever they have been playing. I frankly got sick of playing WoW in summer 2011, then got a full-time job and was getting ready to go back to college, so I was like, lol well screw this then! Then I got let go from the job, was like, I need something to do, didn't want to return to WoW, was like, hmm, maybe I'll give Rift a try.

Have not at all regretted that decision to the day, and it's been over a year.

Keeping in touch with friends is where I think people aren't being totally honest, they can EASILY keep in contact with friends from old guilds and shit nowadays. Phones, EvilBook, email, etc, they just want to keep playing games with the same people. That's what people really mean.
    "A flower.

Quote Originally Posted by Ryngo Blackratchet View Post
    One little problem: No one's ever heard of them. At least not the masses. Are the masses necessary for a successful game? Of course not, but this is a thread about redefinition of a time-tested concept; expansion packs. How influential does it have to be for this to be considered a redefinition? Does anyone but Rifts' niche even notice?
    Redefining something doesn't have to be noticed by the masses. It just needs to redefine. Trust me when I tell you that Blizzard and Bioware notice. The MMO developing community notice. Those are the only people that matter. Many things in life redefine something without being noticed by the masses. It isn't until a more renowned name copies it for their own and pushes it out that it gets recognition.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by notorious98 View Post
    Redefining something doesn't have to be noticed by the masses. It just needs to redefine. Trust me when I tell you that Blizzard and Bioware notice. The MMO developing community notice. Those are the only people that matter. Many things in life redefine something without being noticed by the masses. It isn't until a more renowned name copies it for their own and pushes it out that it gets recognition.
    It'll be redefined when and if these companies you're claiming have noticed actually change something.

In the mean time, it seems to be the popular standpoint to market: "If it aint broke, dont fix it."
    Mountains rise in the distance stalwart as the stars, fading forever.
    Roads ever weaving, soul ever seeking the hunter's mark.

10+ Year Old Account
    It'll be redefined when and if these companies you're claiming have noticed actually change something.

In the mean time, it seems to be the popular standpoint to market: "If it aint broke, dont fix it."
    Why do you honestly think both Blizzard with WoW and Bioware with SWTOR, are trying to say, "ZOMG WE ARE GOING TO PUSH OUT CONTENT FASTER TRUST US LOLZ!!!!"

I can tell you, it's not from some mere change of heart.

They see the threat that is Rift, and they see what it's done over the last 18 months. They are scared.
    "A flower.

Quote Originally Posted by DeltrusDisc View Post
    Why do you honestly think both Blizzard with WoW and Bioware with SWTOR, are trying to say, "ZOMG WE ARE GOING TO PUSH OUT CONTENT FASTER TRUST US LOLZ!!!!"

I can tell you, it's not from some mere change of heart.

They see the threat that is Rift, and they see what it's done over the last 18 months. They are scared.
    To be fair, Blizzard already made that promise before Cata and failed to deliver. It may have been a death knell for them, but we'll see.

---------- Post added 2012-09-26 at 11:49 PM ----------

Of course they notice. Blizzard notices many things being done by the competition and then uses it in their own game. For example, AOE looting. Another example, scenarios. Both come from games that aren't played by the same number that play WoW, but it's noticed nonetheless. Will it redefine what an expansion should be? Possibly. But just because the masses don't see it doesn't mean the industry doesn't. In fact, I guarantee you that Blizzard keeps its eyes on the other games, looking for ways to improve their own product. If Storm Legion pulls subscribers from WoW by introducing an expansion with massive amounts of content, Blizzard will take notice. If that leads them to put out an expansion packed with content, we'll know why.

As for "If it ain't broke....", I believe Blizzard has seen that it may not be broke, but it's definitely breaking. That means a fix is definitely in order.