Thread: Is Rift good?

Is Rift good?

Not a bashing thread I swear, but here goes.

Not too long after Rift initially launched, I remember people calling it the worst MMO in a long time, and made endless fun of it's tagline that mocked WoW. After that, I didn't hear from the game ever again. However recently, between all the discussions about GW2 and WoW, there is alot of positive talk about Rift.

How is the game as of now in your opinions?

I don't recall anyone calling Rift the "worst MMO in a long time". The game was mostly praised in the press and had one the industry's smoothest launches. Also Rift's content updates and news flow are rather rapid. The most of any current MMO I can think of sans Guild Wars 2.

Without offense intended, it seems your POV was simply limited &/or myopic. Obvs. this is a World of Warcraft fansite. So you will not see much news here on Rift.

Rift is without question the most robustly updated and supported modern MMO on the current market. Whether you like the style of gameplay is another matter. Though Trion and Rift have been profitable to the point of releasing an expansion this fall. Unlike other recent MMOs- Rift has not yet needed to go F2P.

[Personally speaking, I have not played a better or more complete MMO in years. That isn't to say I believe Rift to be the best MMO. But I haven't see an MMO do it better in overall completeness. However, this is sorta just opinion and not really worth a whole lot.]
    Last edited by Fencers; 2012-09-25 at 04:08 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Salandrin View Post
    Not too long after Rift initially launched, I remember people calling it the worst MMO in a long time, and made endless fun of it's tagline that mocked WoW. After that, I didn't hear from the game ever again. However recently, between all the discussions about GW2 and WoW, there is alot of positive talk about Rift.

How is the game as of now in your opinions?
    It's likely all the bashing was from WoW players who hadn't tried the game. I gave RIFT a shot when a Slipmat (who posts here often and also plays RIFT still) got me into beta which was about two months after Cataclysm launched. I was instantly hooked. The updated visuals, the huge possibilities offered by the talent trees, everything that goes on in the world with the Rifts and Invasions, those got me hooked.

What has kept me playing is firstly the awesome raiding here in RIFT - one level of difficulty: challenging! And there are separate ten and twenty man raids, which is also awesome. Secondly it's Trion themselves. They are a hardworking and fantastic company to interact with, everything from their own forum interactions to their developer diaries to their customer service oozes player orientated focus. They're clearly gamers making a game they would want to (and do) play.

Right now we're in a nice lull before the expansion (though not a contentless year long desert like certain other MMOs...) which is cool, because it let's us kinda finish off everything in the vanilla era of RIFT, and prepare for the first expansion (I've still not cleared the current raid tier, I've got one of every class, stockpiling money for the expansion).

A lot of people are trying for the first time and seeing the product of ten patches of content over the last 18 months (yes, that's one patch roughly every two months) and getting excited by the cool stuff that is coming in Storm Legion. Here's a couple videos that I always find are a really good demo of what we have and what we're getting:

And for Storm Legion:

Simply put, Rift is the best kept secret in the MMO world. Some players took offense to the WoW reference around release time, others weren't impressed with the art direction (subjectively, or due to low computer specs), and some just didn't want to play "a WoW clone".

As far as service to the playerbase is concerned, there aren't any other companies putting as much time and effort into content creation/release. Read some of the previous threads in this forum, you can find links to all the patchnotes. When you see how much content has been released (in 10 patches in 1.5 years), you realize Trion is a stand-up developer and has a reputation for being the most service-oriented game developer in the industry.

I'm a self-acknowledged fanboy, so take my opinions with a shaker of salt, but just do some google searches for opinions on Trion or Rift. Filter out the reactionary fanboys for either side, and you should find a middleground with a high approval rating for both the game and the developer.

Straight up opinion of Rift? Fucking rocks, and doesn't get the attention it deserves.

Quote Originally Posted by Acquiesce of Telara View Post
    Straight up opinion of Rift? Fucking rocks, and doesn't get the attention it deserves.
    Not to be greedy here, but I am kind of ok with how the game population looks now. I wish more servers were high pop of course. It seems the bigger the game the more the community just completely goes down hill.

I like the idea that you have people sitting over in WoW paying subs and getting content once every 6-9 months while Rift players bitch when we go a month with a new content patch on the pts. It is a pretty damn sweet irony if you ask me.

Quote Originally Posted by Fencers View Post
    I don't recall anyone calling Rift the "worst MMO in a long time". The game was mostly praised in the press and had one the industry's smoothest launches.
    That's true. I remember one of the biggest things going for it, at the time, was that it was considered a finished product unlike launches like WoW and TOR.

---------- Post added 2012-09-25 at 11:42 AM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Puremallace View Post
    Not to be greedy here, but I am kind of ok with how the game population looks now. I wish more servers were high pop of course. It seems the bigger the game the more the community just completely goes down hill.

I like the idea that you have people sitting over in WoW paying subs and getting content once every 6-9 months while Rift players bitch when we go a month with a new content patch on the pts. It is a pretty damn sweet irony if you ask me.
    We may not usually agree on much, but this we do agree on. I prefer to keep the terrible community over there and not here.