Page 1 of 4
... LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account

Self-Driving Cars Now Street Legal in California

http://www.latimes.com/business/mone...,4332330.story

The California Governor has signed a law making Self-Driven Cars legal to drive on public roadways. The law requires there to be a human at the wheel ready to take over if necessary.

What does everyone think? A critical step in the evolution of driving, or a disaster waiting to happen?
    'Twas a cutlass swipe or an ounce of lead
    Or a yawing hole in a battered head
    And the scuppers clogged with rotting red
    And there they lay I damn me eyes
    All lookouts clapped on Paradise
    All souls bound just contrarywise, yo ho ho and a bottle of rum!

10+ Year Old Account
    Czech Republic, Euro-Atlantic civilisation
    I must say that the current implementation seems to be the worst of both worlds, I cant imagine being behind the wheel constantly alert and do nothing, I am afraid people will stop being 100% aware soon.
    Also I presume that the driver is still responsible for any accidents/rule violation, I am getting nowhere near an automatic car until I have no liability for its actions and of course great safety record.
    Quote Originally Posted by b2121945 View Post
    Don't see what's wrong with fighting alongside Nazi Germany
    Quote Originally Posted by JfmC View Post
    someone who disagrees with me is simply wrong.

Quote Originally Posted by Reeve View Post
    What does everyone think? A critical step in the evolution of driving, or a disaster waiting to happen?
    a healthy mix of both. an important and inevitable step, but the first step can have bad results

My first reaction was that this was dangerous. Then I thought about my opinion of human drivers and realized that I far prefer a computer.

It shouldnt be that hard to implement electronic lanes in big cities and then program the cars to drive to destinations by themselves... Sounds lovely but i wouldnt trust the prototype :P

10+ Year Old Account
    There's something in the water... Florida
    Now I know what state Im moving to when I get out of here.

I don't know... People driving exactly the speed limit tend to piss me off. And raging against an emotionless machine just isn't as fun. :P

10+ Year Old Account
    300,000 miles without an accident. I doubt many human drivers could boast the same.
    When survival is the goal, it's into the spider hole!

California seems to be the most progressive state in US.
    With it's laws on marijuana, and now self driving cars.

Deleted
    A good and necessary step to increase efficiency of fuel consumption, and reduction of accidents due to speeding, lane splitting or roadrage.
    And nice for long trips, to take a nap.

Can't wait for the lawsuits the first time someone dies in a car crash while it's being driven automatically.

Hopefully they will be mandatory in the next few decades.

The vast majority of people should not be allowed to operate a motor vehicle. OT, what is with all the lazy shits who can't be assed to use an indicator when switching lanes or turning?

Quote Originally Posted by Arkhias View Post
    Hopefully they will be mandatory in the next few decades.

The vast majority of people should not be allowed to operate a motor vehicle. OT, what is with all the lazy shits who can't be assed to use an indicator when switching lanes or turning?
    If you invented a device whereby you could flip a switch and have the risk of death or injury reduced and the risk of hundreds or thousands of dollars of damage to your car reduced, people would probably be pretty happy.

And then they don't use their turn signal.

Quote Originally Posted by ptwonline View Post
    If you invented a device whereby you could flip a switch and have the risk of death or injury reduced and the risk of hundreds or thousands of dollars of damage to your car reduced, people would probably be pretty happy.

And then they don't use their turn signal.
    Meh, even if they use their turn signal, it always seems like people wait until the last second to get into the turn lane anyway (assuming there is one).

Quote Originally Posted by Zoranon View Post
    I must say that the current implementation seems to be the worst of both worlds, I cant imagine being behind the wheel constantly alert and do nothing, I am afraid people will stop being 100% aware soon.
    Also I presume that the driver is still responsible for any accidents/rule violation, I am getting nowhere near an automatic car until I have no liability for its actions and of course great safety record.
    People are already far less than 100% aware. It happens to everyone, you go into a daze on a long drive, tired, on drugs, kids distracting you, some idiot cutting you off and the list goes on.

The fact is probably 90% of accidents are completely avoidable if everyone was paying attention to what they're doing and driving defensively.

There will be many accidents, not right away because there still won't be many of these cars on the road for quite a few years, but in the long run it's a horrible idea at this stage in the development.
    Apply blizzards model to any other subscription service,you'd be outraged:
    Netflix adds no new movies for a year, you click a new movie, there's a $5 fee.
    You're in an accident, click your onstar button, but there's an addition $20 fee for them to help.
    You turn on your tv only to find all you get are the infomercial channels. Every other show is pay per view.
    See how dumb that model is?

Deleted
    As a motorcyclist i'd never, ever ride an automated motorcycle but perhaps something like this would make the road a safer place seeing as well over 90% of the car drivers out there only look for other cars when making a move. They never expect a motorcycle.

10+ Year Old Account
    There's something in the water... Florida
    These cars are gona be the drunk frat boys best friends XD

would have been far more marketable as a black T/A

Quote Originally Posted by Vizardlorde View Post
    These cars are gona be the drunk frat boys best friends XD
    Medical marijuana patients

10+ Year Old Account
    Isn't this suppose to be for blind and disabled people?

I know it allows it in general, but I'm pretty sure I heard back in the day about making it so blind people can "drive".
    There are no bathrooms, only Zuul.