1080p 5-incher phone? Yes.

Although it's by a chinese/thai company, it's going to be available.

http://www.androidauthority.com/oppo...y-bean-113277/

Now I dont really think that kind of pixel density is going to be useful for most people, but the specs are extremely impressive.
    A 5 inch screen, followed by a thickness of 6.65mm(!) and a krait s4 pro chipset, which's running 4 Cortex A15 cores. It'll also have a 2500 mAh battery, which is quite alot, considering the small form factor.

Sadly it looks like it took some design ques from longphone, but either way, it seems to be an impressive device.
    Also HTC will also be releasing a phone with the same screen, but unknown sofar specifications.

Discuss.
    "Marketing is what you do when your product is no good."

Am I the only one that things phones are just getting way too big to the point of cumbersome? A 3.5" screen with a 720p resolution would be ideal for me. 5" is like having a psp in your pocket. I can't even imagine how quickly that phone would eat through the battery.

This phone is fairly ridiculous. I can easily see it being in my pocket in the near future. Seriously, 1080p on a phone? This thing's a realllllly tempting purchase. The other specs on it look pretty damn good too:

http://android-sale.com/de/oppo-find-5.html

100~150 hours standby, 4-6 hours talk-time.

Edit: Looking again at the details in the link I posted, not 100% sure they're all the actual stats, some seem off.
    Last edited by Shinzai; 2012-09-26 at 12:07 AM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Every time I've seen someone with a galaxy note, i laugh a little bit. 5" is absurd for a phone. Also anything over about 300 ppi is a gimmick, as there's no way for the human eye to see it during normal use.

Quote Originally Posted by Maharishi View Post
    Also anything over about 300 ppi is a gimmick, as there's no way for the human eye to see it during normal use.
    They demonstrated this in the article:

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by yurano View Post
    They demonstrated this in the article:
    And if you view your phone through a macro photography lens, that might be a meaningful photo. But you probably view it from at least 10 inches away, at which point the human eye can't distinguish anything over 300 ppi.

There is no reason for HD or anything near it on small screens like that.

Quote Originally Posted by Maharishi View Post
    Every time I've seen someone with a galaxy note, i laugh a little bit. 5" is absurd for a phone. Also anything over about 300 ppi is a gimmick, as there's no way for the human eye to see it during normal use.
    I found the screen on the gNote to be extremely useful when i played around with it. It's just so big you can display all of the things at once. It all depends how much you actually use your phone though, there's no reason to get this behemoth if you're only going to get it out for a hour a day.

Quote Originally Posted by Papalenin View Post
    Am I the only one that things phones are just getting way too big to the point of cumbersome? A 3.5" screen with a 720p resolution would be ideal for me. 5" is like having a psp in your pocket. I can't even imagine how quickly that phone would eat through the battery.
    5'' is just the PSP's screen. The PSP also has controls and a huge bezel, not to mention it weighs a ton. This thing barely has a bezel and is 7mm thick.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Keller View Post
    I found the screen on the gNote to be extremely useful when i played around with it. It's just so big you can display all of the things at once. It all depends how much you actually use your phone though, there's no reason to get this behemoth if you're only going to get it out for a hour a day.
    I won't deny the use case, but it just looks so absurd I'm not sure I'd ever do it. I just use my tablet if I need mobile computing.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Papalenin View Post
    Am I the only one that things phones are just getting way too big to the point of cumbersome?
    I'm kind on that line of thinking too. The whole tablet thing as well they are so big like why not just have a more powerful laptop? They are getting so light weight and thin and have much better processing power. IDK.....

15+ Year Old Account
    This side of an imaginary line in the sand
    Anything over the case size of the Galaxy Nexus IMO is starting to get in the realm of too large. Honestly, I find the Nexus a bit over the top in size as well. 5" is just... no.

The PPI however is nice, especially in China. It's a bit worthless for roman character sets, but it sure looks handy for Kanji.
    red panda red panda red panda!

Quote Originally Posted by Asera View Post
    Anything over the case size of the Galaxy Nexus IMO is starting to get in the realm of too large. Honestly, I find the Nexus a bit over the top in size as well. 5" is just... no.

The PPI however is nice, especially in China. It's a bit worthless for roman character sets, but it sure looks handy for Kanji.
    i'd say that the thinness and bezel...lessness will compensate for it and it will feel like a nexus . A very large downside i see on it though is the lack of an audio jack.

15+ Year Old Account
    This side of an imaginary line in the sand

That just makes it completely worthless.
    red panda red panda red panda!

Quote Originally Posted by Keller View Post
    i'd say that the thinness and bezel...lessness will compensate for it and it will feel like a nexus . A very large downside i see on it though is the lack of an audio jack.
    http://i78.photobucket.com/albums/j1...0808530802.png

Infracted. Don't post memes.

Since the picture I posted was infracted, I'll put it in words: I loved the idea of using that phone as a gaming/media device on the go without being as huge as an iPad or the like, but the sheer fact that it doesn't have an audio jack pretty much lost its selling point for me.
    Last edited by Shinzai; 2012-09-26 at 06:08 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Might as well start making phones the size of tablets.

Dreadlord
    10+ Year Old Account
    my phone is 4.7" so it really isnt that much bigger, although i dont think i want it any bigger really. you people do realize the galaxy sIII is 4.8"??
    Intel i5-2500k@4.4ghz
    Gigabyte Z68X-UD3H-B3
    Gigabyte N560OC 1gb gpu
    Corsair 2x4gb
    Antec v2 Two Hundred
    Razer Blackwidow Ultimate
    Razer Naga

phone without an audio jack ? how are you gonna use it as you know, a phone? or for gaming ? or for anything ? that has to be wrong information.

Deleted
    I agree, a smartphone without an audio jack is like surfing without waves.

It has audio jack a la HTC dream - you plug an adapter into your microusb port. I dont know wether or not the oppo 5 wont have an audio jack, but if they keep the same size, they'll have to avoid it, since they couldnt really fit one into the first oppo, which was the same thickness.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by jmacphee9 View Post
    my phone is 4.7" so it really isnt that much bigger, although i dont think i want it any bigger really. you people do realize the galaxy sIII is 4.8"??
    Actually bought the Galaxy s3 a week ago and I can't say that the 4.8" screen is too big.

At least not for me (fits great in my hand).
    Last edited by nalle; 2012-09-26 at 09:01 PM.