Page 1 of 4
... LastLast

Demonic Gates have too many restrictions.

I've been thoroughly testing this out in pvp recently, and it's becoming rather obvious that a lot of restrictions have been placed on this spell for no apparent reason.

First off,pvp aside, the gates follow linear pathing so using it on terrains that do not connect with the destination does not work( prevents Z axis placements in arena).

Second,the biggest issue here is not the extremely long cast time but the actual despawn range, 100 yards is too limited even for pve, I've tested this today where I would place the gates at max range possible ( 70 yards ) and would proceed to one of the gates, the first gate being 70 yards away and me standing at the second gate, now I have 30 yards left until despawn , and logically I will always stay close to the gate since I want to use it ( else why would I place it in the first place), so I'm constricted to a 30 yard radius from the second gate, this considerably cripples warlocks in pvp, I'm forced to stay in that area and even closer than that tbh depending on placement.

but the most illogical thing with this spell is, it's duration.

let's sit down and think about it for a second, If I have a 100 yard limitation, I cannot leave the area in which I need to be to use it, if I leave it despawn and that's the end of it, why is there a duration on the spell ? if we compare this to another spell like demonic circle, the duration on it is because it does not despawn even if we move very far away, the duration on circle is to ensure that the spell will fade after we move away, it shouldn't stay there permanently in the case that we do not die or log out or something.

now this works both ways, if we have a duration it could work like circle, meaning the despawn range could be completely removed, why would it matter? it has a limited duration anyways.

so you see, there are 2 restrictions here that counter each other, you only need 1 to limit this spell, I do not understand the need to have both.

But let's move onto the following issue, 10 mins duration on it is too low, this has problems for arena and will despawn after 10 mins, regardless of the effort it took you to place it in the first place, why can't the duration be increased to at least the time limit of an arena match ?I'm not even asking for a cast time reduction, I'll manage it tbh, but these things are too absurd really, even in raids, 10 mins might not be enough, if the lock places the gate a good 1-2 mins before the fight as people are getting flasked and ready, the gate might end around the end of the fight and could wipe a raid ( if they were assuming to use it to move somewhere fast only to see that their "mobility" spell is no longer there could delay people long enough to wipe them).

the other restriction, the 100 yard despawn range, for example, in a stage very similar to the fall of deathwing where the warlock places the gates between the very first platform and the platform next to it to ease movement, warlock and raid finishes fighting on first platform and successfully uses gates to cross to second platform, after second platform is cleared raid moves to third platform, gate at first platform despawns. pointless.

Anyone can provide any actual reason or data or something to convince me why this spell is not just for show ?
    Last edited by wholol; 2012-09-28 at 05:11 AM.

The reason the spell is not for show is Raids.

Quote Originally Posted by Karshda View Post
    The reason the spell is not for show is Raids.

could you perhaps provide a bit more information on that ? I've already stated why it's not that great in raids, I know the spell was made for pve, and it has too many restrictions specifically because they don't want it to be used effectively in pvp, but even for pve it's not that great, the limitations on it are also meh, though I guess it can be used a lot more often in pve than pvp ( a LOT more often ).

I just don't get why it has to be to punishing for pvp, I'm not asking for no duration or despawn range , nor am I asking for it to be insta-cast and doesn't follow linear pathing, cause then it would be OP, and too many people would cry about it, I'm just asking it to be fair, the duration is too short, and the despawn range too, just a small increase would help a lot.

It is sort of quirky for its limitations. Should not despawn if you get to far away, no reason to tether us to it.

On a side note, it's hella useful for putting at the entrance to the AH! =p

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by dredlox View Post
    It is sort of quirky for its limitations. Should not despawn if you get to far away, no reason to tether us to it.

Probably the only thing is usefull for :-)

10+ Year Old Account
    I'd get rid of the duration and make it only tied to your distance to it. But then changed how the distance is judged.

Something more like this

It should stay there just like demonic circle even if you travel far away from it. If they feel it should range despawn then it should be something like at least 500 yards, not 100.

10+ Year Old Account
    The first issue you mentioned is my main issue with it. The "no path available" error is pretty annoying for a teleport spell.
    "Terror, darkness, power? The Forsaken crave not these things; the Forsaken ARE these things."

It *should* stay there and ignore your distance from either gate.

Unfortunately, it is currently using the totem system, which forces a despawn at 100 yards.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Xelnath View Post
    It *should* stay there and ignore your distance from either gate.

Unfortunately, it is currently using the totem system, which forces a despawn at 100 yards.
    Will that intent of "should stay" be made real soon or is it more of a low priority Soon™? Not judging, just trying to get some further info

Not likely in the short term, it is very difficult to make object go past 100 yards.

10+ Year Old Account
    At risk of sounding fesicious, Soulwells, Feasts and Summon Stones all exist beyond that.

Correction: if you are OK with your gateway being used by both allies and enemies, allowing it outside of 100 yards is cake

---------- Post added 2012-09-27 at 05:12 PM ----------

Gateways are creatures, like totems, not objects, like soulwells.

I also agree with the OP. I am VERY disappointed with the spell currently, which is a bummer as I was really looking forward to it.

I will burn your soul.

Quote Originally Posted by Xelnath View Post
    Correction: if you are OK with your gateway being used by both allies and enemies, allowing it outside of 100 yards is cake

---------- Post added 2012-09-27 at 05:12 PM ----------

Gateways are creatures, like totems, not objects, like soulwells.
    xelnath, really ? I mean having a spell that helps our enemies is a tad over the top.

edit: by stating that , you mean you can change it easily just refuse to do so without crippling it additionally, why ?

I'm not asking for the removal of all the restrictions, just one of them is enough to help turn this spell into a more efficient tool.

changes possible :

1- make it instant or relatively very short cast time.
    2- increase ( or remove ) despawn range( if this is done ignore 4).
    3-make it work regardless of linear pathing.
    4- remove duration on the spell once placed( if this is done ignore 2).
    Last edited by wholol; 2012-09-28 at 02:06 AM.

I'm pretty against a lot of the tools we got this xpak, but I am in the minority that is actually OK with gateway (with the premise that I don't mind a situational talent that will help in arenas). Despite the cast time, it is still a very strong spell. They just need to fix the range issue (guess that might not be possible?) and, more importantly, fix the terrain thing. At least tell us we can't cast it before going through the cast time instead of at the end.

Quote Originally Posted by pokeadott View Post
    I am in the minority that is actually OK with gateway
    Um...according to what you said in your next breath, no, you're not.

They just need to fix the range issue (guess that might not be possible?) and, more importantly, fix the terrain thing. At least tell us we can't cast it before going through the cast time instead of at the end.
    See, you are indeed saying what the rest of us are.

I will burn your soul.

I dont think it needs to have its cast time reduced. The range and terrain things are coding issues. I don;t mind the design of the spell.

I dont think it needs to have its cast time reduced. The range and terrain things are coding issues. I don;t mind the design of the spell.
    indeed i would be totally fine with just having the range fixed and knowing when I cannot/ can cast it before I actually spend the time to cast.

PS: some forgotten or yet unmentioned things about demonic gates, the delay!

it takes about 15 secs from the 3 orbs flying to the gates being formed until the actual first charge starts it's 15 secs countdown, that means we have a good 30 secs of not being able to use this spell.

even more restrictions that are beyond the point, I understand it looks flashy and nice, but at least make it start charging up the moment it's cast so that once it's done constructing itself it has 1 charge .
    Last edited by wholol; 2012-09-28 at 05:07 AM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by dredlox View Post

Completely agree.

Only thing its actually useful in would be RBG's to be honest.

Unless the cast time gets changed i wont waste my time casting in arena, ever.

Even RBG's are limited, if i need to move on to another place, i'd like for my team to be able to use it.

So i guess its just a -fun- move for now? idrk