Page 2 of 11 FirstFirst
... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Darkacid View Post
    I don't usually pay attention to polls but this one I thought was interesting because some people think Obama is guaranteed to win reelection. If you thought your country was headed in the wrong direction would you re-elect the person that holds most of the blame for the direction of the country: the President of your country?!
    George W. Bush got elected twice! Your point?

The Undying
    15+ Year Old Account
    I don't usually pay attention to polls but this one I thought was interesting because some people think Obama is guaranteed to win reelection. If you thought your country was headed in the wrong direction would you re-elect the person that holds most of the blame for the direction of the country: the President of your country?!
    Congress, and specifically the GOP fililbuster/obstructionists, are to blame for where this country is heading right now (oh, don't forget the TeaBaggers - those guys who do not understand either economics or the fundamentals of math). Obama is doing what he can with his limited powers over the economy. He's signed several Executive Orders in an effort to further bolster the economy. But until people like Sen. McConnell stop preventing economic progress (recall: he is the senator who's number one goal is to make Obama a one-term president; not help the american people, not help the economy, but to further his own biased preferences).

Honestly, if Congress would just pass mass infrastructure jobs plans and increase the taxes on the rich, we would see a dramatic economic turnaround.

---------- Post added 2012-09-27 at 02:03 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by NotFunny008 View Post
    George W. Bush got elected twice! Your point?
    Precisely. Bush fucked this country three ways to Sunday, and it's going to take years, perhaps decades, to fix what he did to our economy.

(unfunded wars and tax breaks for the rich)

15+ Year Old Account
    "Is on the wrong track" is such a wide-reaching statement as to be nearly meaningless other than a general feeling.

I mean, there are people on the left who would say our country is on the wrong track and hasn't been on the right track in a long time (long-term trends of increasing inequality, layoffs, outsourcing and the destruction of the median income/working class, never-ending increase in militarism and the police state, money in politics).

There are people in the center who would say that so long as we can't get a jobs bill passed when we're at high unemployment and haven't seen a balanced budget in over a decade, we're not on the right track.

There are people on the right who obviously have real concerns, but would be inclined to answer the question based on politics, in addition to the people who wouldn't have answered it in the 'right track' direction since we left the gold standard and decided the federal government had regulatory powers.

To lay 'most of the blame' for everything relevant to the conversation on the guy who's been the executive for the last few years is silly. He's done stuff that almost everyone has disliked, right and left, there's no denying that. But I could still be unhappy with the "Track" that the US is on, evaluate two guys running for the job of conductor, and say "Yeah, I think we should probably stick with the guy we have for now".

Blaming Romney for losing won't help either. The Republican Party needs to wipe the slate and decide what it means to be the conservative party and who they're working for. The themes of 'return to when we had values' and 'tax cuts are priority numero uno (that's for you Latinos, we need you!)' don't make sense and aren't solutions to our problems, unless I'm very wrong and God did actually cause 9/11 and Katrina because of the ACLU and abortion.

10+ Year Old Account
    60% of Americans don't think America is on the right track, but they're not asking them what the "right track" is. It's one of those statistics that pretty much every side throws around to malign the other side. Which makes it absolutely meaningless.
    Human progress isn't measured by industry. It's measured by the value you place on a life.

Just, be kind.

The Undying
    15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by smrund View Post
    60% of Americans don't think America is on the right track, but they're not asking them what the "right track" is. It's one of those statistics that pretty much every side throws around to malign the other side. Which makes it absolutely meaningless.
    Yeah, it's a meaningless statistic used for whatever purposes you want to use it for. Which is perfect for a Presidential election cycle.

10+ Year Old Account
    You re-elect poor leaders when the alternative is even worse. It is called the 2 party system. That is how it works. So long as people keep playing the game, we will be stuck in mediocrity, at best.

No matter who was president, that statistic would still be around where it is. Get it below 50% and they pretty much walk on water.
    I like sandwiches

Yes, because a president is guilty of all problems that happen in his country. Previous presidents? Corrupt, power/money-hungry corporations? The people in his country? A failed system? No, obviously the president has all the blame

Cheap demagogy...

I would like to inform all who think Obama is winning by using these latest polls as proof
    Those recent polls has a 9 point democrat advantage but in reality during the 2008 election democrats had a 3 point turn out advantage in the 2010 election democrats and republicans was about even with their turn out on election day.
    Obama is ahead in those swing states between 4 and 10 points so if you use the same sample of turn out of 2008 which is highly unlikely Obama and Romney is tied or Romney is ahead. If you use the turn out sample of 2010 which is more likely Romney is winning in all those swing states

so unless you are trying to say 3 times more democrats are going to turn out come Nov then they did in 2008. but with the state of the economy, Romney wining over the independents according to the same polls, and 60% saying the country is moving in the wrong direction you are delusional to believe in those polls saying Obama is winning
    Last edited by Vyxn; 2012-09-27 at 08:32 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Vyxn View Post
    I would like to inform all who think Obama is winning by using these latest polls as proof
    Those recent polls has a 9 point democrat advantage but in reality during the 2008 election democrats had a 3 point turn out advantage in the 2010 election democrats and republicans was about even with their turn out on election day.
    Obama is ahead in those swing states between 4 and 10 points so if you use the same sample of turn out of 2008 which is highly unlikely Obama and Romney is tied or Romney is ahead. If you use the turn out sample of 2010 which is more likely Romney is winning in all those swing states

so unless you are trying to say 3 times more democrats are going to turn out come Nov then they did in 2008. but with the state of the economy, Romany wining over the independents according to the same polls, and 60% saying the country is moving in the wrong direction you are delusional to believe in those polls
    So let me get this straight. All the current polls don't matter because 2010?

10+ Year Old Account
    You're making a false premise there.

Firstly, who's to say Obama is to blame for the direction of the country? I tend to blame a financial meltdown due to deregulation among other factors, as well as entanglements in two foreign wars over the course of the last decade.

Secondly, elections are as much about the other guy as they are about your own candidate. Some voters are voting for Obama because they like Obama. Others are voting for him because they think the country would be even worse off under Romney.
    'Twas a cutlass swipe or an ounce of lead
    Or a yawing hole in a battered head
    And the scuppers clogged with rotting red
    And there they lay I damn me eyes
    All lookouts clapped on Paradise
    All souls bound just contrarywise, yo ho ho and a bottle of rum!

10+ Year Old Account
    60% percent of Americans think the country is currently heading in the wrong direction, that does not justify the republican's getting to steer it of a cliff. I'd rather be lost than doomed.
    "Stop being a giant trolling asshole." - Boubouille
    "The Internet is built on complaints about asinine things" - prefect
    "Facts became discussable when critical thinking stopped being the focus of education."- Chonogo
    "Sometimes people confuse "We Don't Understand This Yet" with "Ooga Booga Space Magic" - Chazus

When America has (a lot) more than two parties, I'll care about politics. Until then, it's pointless. The sheep will continue to vote for "their team", which is why politicians sound so ridiculous when they talk about issues and what they're gonna do about them.

Quote Originally Posted by Wells View Post
    So let me get this straight. All the current polls don't matter because 2010?
    No what I'm saying democrats never had a 9 point turn out advantage come election day the highest turn out advantage was in 2008 at 3 points
    so how in earth do you think Democrats will have 3 times the turn out in 2012 then they had in 2008 its more then likely going to be a turn out closer to the 2010 election cycle when democrats and Republicans was about equal in turn out because we have the same problems that we had in 2010 which caused the even split on turn out. nothing has changed

there are two reason why these polling agencies are inflating these polls in favor for Obama so if Obama losses they can scream election fraud because their polls showed different and to try to discourage republican turn out because they are trying to show Obama is winning so no need to waste your time to vote

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Vyxn View Post
    No what I'm saying democrats never had a 9 point turn out advantage come election day the highest turn out advantage was in 2008 at 3 points
    so how in earth do you think Democrats will have 3 times the turn out in 2012 then they had in 2008 its more then likely going to be a turn out closer to the 2010 election cycle when democrats and Republicans was about equal in turn out because we have the same problems that we had in 2010 which caused the even split on turn out. nothing has changed

there are two reason why these polling agencies are inflating these polls in favor for Obama so if Obama losses they can scream election fraud because their polls showed different and to try to discourage republican turn out because they are trying to show Obama is winning so no need to waste your time to vote
    Polling agencies have every reason to want their polls to be accurate predictors of elections. If they aren't, people stop paying attention to those pollsters.

These polls are samples of "likely" voters, meaning people who are both registered in their district and intend to vote on election day.
    'Twas a cutlass swipe or an ounce of lead
    Or a yawing hole in a battered head
    And the scuppers clogged with rotting red
    And there they lay I damn me eyes
    All lookouts clapped on Paradise
    All souls bound just contrarywise, yo ho ho and a bottle of rum!

Who's saying they will or need to have 3 times the turn out? That doesn't even make sense.
    This is the silliest nonsense.

I don't really care who the Republican Candidate is anything is better than a Democrat in office, I love all this talk of how obama lowered taxes and what not for the private sector. Well we own our own business and guess what our property taxes wend down on our house by around $200.00 yay great right? Not our business taxes went up $1500.00. So in the end still went up.

Quote Originally Posted by Reeve View Post
    Polling agencies have every reason to want their polls to be accurate predictors of elections. If they aren't, people stop paying attention to those pollsters.

These polls are samples of "likely" voters, meaning people who are both registered in their district and intend to vote on election day.

If polling agencies believe in accuracy then why are they using a 9 point democrat advantage in reality the best democrat turn out in recent history was only 3 points
    when it comes closer to election day those polling agencies will be more accurate but now they will skew the polls in favor of either their agenda or who is paying them

For example Gallup had Romney and Obama tied then the DOJ threaten to sue them over some billing practices and the next week Obama went up by 4 points on Gallup

If polling agencies believe in accuracy then why are they using a 9 point democrat advantage in reality the best democrat turn out in recent history was only 3 points
    What are you talking about?

And accusations of bias and corruption can diaf with no proof to back them.

Can you please link said poll?

Middle-class income and wealth fell in last 10 years, survey shows
    http://www.trbimg.com/img-503541e9/t...120822-001/600

By Walter Hamilton

August 22, 2012, 1:47 p.m.
    The vast majority of middle-class Americans say their financial well-being has been crimped over the last 10 years by sagging home values and dreary job prospects, according to a new survey.

About 85% of middle-class people say it’s tougher now than a decade ago to maintain their living standards, according to the Pew Research Center report.
    http://www.latimes.com/business/mone...,4728951.story

---------- Post added 2012-09-27 at 09:37 PM ----------

Voters say they’re worse off after four years of Obama, so why is Romney struggling?

.By Chris Moody, Yahoo! News 9/19/2012

In the twilight of President Barack Obama's first term, many polls, including a new Quinnipiac University tri-state survey of likely voters, show that most Americans say they are not better off than they were four years ago. But in those same polls, the president retains his edge over challenger Mitt Romney.

That's not normal, says Quinnipiac University pollster Peter A. Brown.

"Most times if voters think things haven't gone well, they say, 'Let's think of somebody else.' But at this point they're not saying that," Brown said. "Clearly they think [Obama] is more in tune with their lives."

http://news.yahoo.com/blogs/ticket/v...-election.html
    Why? Because the US is controlled by the Feds. They control the media and election machine. They select the politicians to control the government. That's why even Clinton did a good job in his last term, Bush won the election. What the Feds needed was not a good economy, they need war and the Patriot Act. Several month after his election, 911 happened which satisfied what the Feds needed.

This time, Obama will give the Feds something Romney can't give. So you saw Romney is under the fire of media despite the life of Americans is worse off after four years reign of Obama.