Wanting to start Rift, just a few questions.

Hi All,

I just have a few questions regarding rift as I am serious about giving it a go. For the last couple days I have tried out another game (Don't want to mention the name) but it's become too easy for my liking and apparently rift actually offers challenges outside of raiding. Very similar to burning crusade.

1) Where can I find out the storyline/lore behind rift?
    2) I used to play enhance shaman/warrior in wow, which souls would you recommend that fits that type of playstyle.
    3) My friend has a rift account and also wants to get back into the game, does trion offer a 7 day pass (or something similar) if you have an existing account?
    4) I am also looking for a EU realm where raiding is still thriving as I want to do endgame.(Mainly for the xpac)
    5) What other sites can you recommend where the rift community normally hangs out.

Thanks to those who take the time to read and answer the questions.

Quote Originally Posted by Nimitzles View Post
    Hi All,

I just have a few questions regarding rift as I am serious about giving it a go. For the last couple days I have tried out another game (Don't want to mention the name) but it's become too easy for my liking and apparently rift actually offers challenges outside of raiding. Very similar to burning crusade.

2) I used to play enhance shaman/warrior in wow, which souls would you recommend that fits that type of playstyle.
    3) My friend has a rift account and also wants to get back into the game, does trion offer a 7 day pass (or something similar) if you have an existing account?
    4) I am also looking for a EU realm where raiding is still thriving as I want to do endgame.(Mainly for the xpac)
    5) What other sites can you recommend where the rift community normally hangs out.

1) the wiki is okay.
    2) cleric maybe? shaman druid and like... justicar i think. I've started to play that recently and ZOMG. too much awesome.
    3) Not sure. He could try the free trial though.
    4) Don't know. But look for the largest one. I know there's only 1 really big pve server in the EU. Apparently its awesome. (icewatch I think?)
    5) We are cool enough for you.

Can I refer a friend you???

You get bonus exp trinket, a bunch of items, and a title.
    Last edited by Bardarian; 2012-09-27 at 01:54 PM.
    (Warframe) - Dragon & Typhoon-
    (Neverwinter) - Trickster Rogue & Guardian Fighter -

Honestly mostly ingame. Each zone has a story quest, relating to that particular zone usually but it gives you a good feel of what is going on. There are also a lot of collectible books ingame that offer short pieces of stories that together flesh things out some. There are bits on the official website too.

Overall though the lore in RIFT is not as deep nor as detailed as WoW. The game is far newer with no existing franchise, so while there definitely is some it may seem sparse in comparison.

Warrior! Not only do you get all the warrior souls, but in the expansion (7 weeks time!) you'll be getting a new soul called Tempest which allows the warrior to gain ranged lightning based attacks, in addition to some fire damage stuff they already have. So definitely warrior. They're also very OP in PvP and very competitive in PvE right now, plus they make the best tanks for taking the hits.

Yes, it's called Ascend a Friend, tell your friend to access his account and find his referral code, using that you get 7 days free and he will get a free month, if you subscribe for long enough.

Icewatch is the busiest server by far, sometimes a little too busy (laggy), but it does have the most guilds to choose from. Blightweald is a good raiding server too I hear with more progressive guilds, though the population is lower overall.

The official website actually is the best place, tons of good guides, discussions etc. This forum is good for news, we have a few regulars that are OCD when it comes to ferreting out the latest news about what is new in RIFT. ZAM has a good database and talent calculator too, rift-mmorpg.com is good for raid guides.

1) By doing quests and stuff. Mostly in game. I think telarapedia may have some lore info on the specific zones and also has the quest texts available in most cases too. Rift.zam.com may have some too. Alot of the info on those sites is outdated and not a lot of comments on anything, but for lore info it may have what you want. If there is something else out there I am unaware of it, but I am not really a lore buff anyway.

3) Well, Warrior has several melee DPS souls, some 2H and some DW. It also has Tank souls and a Support soul. Though the current support soul is not used they are reworking souls in the expansion and they will have a true support soul. The expansion is also adding Tempest soul which is a ranged soul that throws lightning. Riftblabe currently uses lightning as well, those does not have as much range associated with it. I'm not really an expert on warriors though, so I cannot recommend a specific soul or build, but I will say you can have up to 6 specs, so you got room to play around. Most players find that they need to use at least 3-4 of depending on what they are doing at the time. So there is not really one build you will pick and use all the time like WoW. I find myself switching specs 3-4 times a night. If I am out doing dailies, I have a spec for that, go to run a dungeon, I have a spec for that, do a little PvP, I have a spec for that, go raid and they nee a bard, I have a spec for that.

3) They occasionally offer free weeks or weekends for returning players. Nothing going on right now that I recall though. Other than that, they have Rift Lite, free to level 20.

4) Blightweald is the server I think the EU players that post here always mention, that or Icewatch. They will come along and say at some point.

5) In my experience, when I need info on specs or have a specific question, unlike with WoW, the Official forums are actually a good resource. Other than that, alot of third party sitex existed, but have out of date and un-updated data. Riftjunkies.com was a good source, but the dungeon guides have info before they merged the expert tiers and is wrong in a lot of cases, not current standard practice. The build data they have is kinda old. bluedots.org does have some good spec advice for most classes that I think is mostly up-to-date, at least as of 1.8.

Hi All,

While most of the questions have been answered, I'd also add the Riftjunkies.com is a nice resource with editorials and advice every so often, they also touch on lore and have class/raiding guides.

I'm on Blightweald EU, not as populated as Icewatch, but there are many social guilds running tier 1 and tier 2 content (which is ideally what you would want to run once you hit max level)

Enjoy your time in Rift, and be sure to mix up your levelling using Instant Adventures. Just hit (.) once you are level 10 and have a blast.
    {I disapprove of what you say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it. }

10+ Year Old Account
    We already know the other game... Mists of Pandaria. Take a look at the challenge modes if you want hard.

Quote Originally Posted by MMOTotal View Post
    We already know the other game... Mists of Pandaria. Take a look at the challenge modes if you want hard.
    He/she didn't say so and we didn't assume it. if you notice, he/she also said: "offers challenges outside of raiding"; which is a more holistic view than just a single feature.

Don't derail threads like this to be game vs. game, its Rift's Sub-Forum and not WoW's.
    {I disapprove of what you say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it. }