10+ Year Old Account

low power pfsense build

Before I list any part choices the reason I'm interested in building this is I have had problems with numerous routers from multiple companies being total crap and it's time to built something slightly overkill to suit my needs.

I have decided that matx is the way to go for this unless there is an all in one solution that is compatible with pfsense for around 200$ and offers similar performance. I'm not opposed to an itx solution but again it must fit the 200$ or less mark.

I already have 1 intel nic with low profile bracket that I tested as working with the latest release and will be getting another assuming the onboard network isn't supported.

CPU: Intel Celeron G465 1.9GHz Dual-Core Processor ($51.53 @ eCost)
    Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-H61M-DS2 Micro ATX LGA1155 Motherboard ($49.98 @ NCIX US)
    Memory: Crucial 2GB (1 x 2GB) DDR3-1333 Memory ($11.99 @ Newegg)
    Case: Rosewill R379-M MicroATX Slim Case w/300W Power Supply ($54.98 @ Newegg)
    Other: StarTech USBPNLAFHD1 1 ft. Panel Mount USB Cable - USB A to Motherboard Header Cable F-F ($6.99)
    Total: $175.47
    (Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available.)

As for the specifics....
    1. Will there be an ivybridge equivalent or somewhat close to the cpu I have chosen? (35watts or hopefully less @ the same price) I know the link for the cpu don't work but tigerdirect seems to have that model for roughly the same price including shipping.

2. The ram Is 1.35 volts with this cause any problems on sandy/ivy platforms? I understand that dual channel will be sacrificed by only having 1 stick but again I'm trying to keep the overall power usage on this build as low as possible.

3. Is it possible to disable the integrated graphics core without providing a discrete gpu so that I may run this machine headless after it is fully setup? If so will it reduce the power usage and by how much?

Before anyone asks I plan on running the embedded version of this off a 1gig flash drive that I have.
    I don't require wireless right away though I would prefer to have an empty pci-express lane to add one down the road so that I can't fully retire that crappy router which is currently running in access point mode.

You're going to need a switch as well, so that's going to drive the price up more. Regardless, for half the price you can get business routers from Cisco that have very, very low failure rates with tons of features:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16833150141

Also, are you able to fluently use FreeBSD's terminal by hand? This isn't like a Linux distro, it's definitely more involved managing it and setting up.
    i7-4770k - GTX 780 Ti - 16GB DDR3 Ripjaws - (2) HyperX 120s / Vertex 3 120
    ASRock Extreme3 - Sennheiser Momentums - Xonar DG - EVGA Supernova 650G - Corsair H80i

build pics

15+ Year Old Account
    Depending on the driver support, an AMD E-350 board could be an interesting alternative: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16813157228
    It won't save you much money, but the power draw is most likely a lot better. The only problem will be the expansion slots, since you plan on using 1-2 intel network cards. If you can get by with just one extra card (because the onboard nic works) then you could use a PCIe one.
    Why do something simple, when there is a complicated way?
    Ryzen 7 2700X | BeQuiet Dark Rock Pro 4 | 16GB DDR4-3200 | MSI X470 Gaming Pro | MSI GTX 1070 Gaming X 8G | 500GB / 750GB Crucial SSD
    Fractal Define C | LG 32UK550 | Das Model S Professional Silent | CM Storm Xornet

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by glo View Post
    You're going to need a switch as well, so that's going to drive the price up more. Regardless, for half the price you can get business routers from Cisco that have very, very low failure rates with tons of features:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16833150141

Also, are you able to fluently use FreeBSD's terminal by hand? This isn't like a Linux distro, it's definitely more involved managing it and setting up.
    While I do need to brush up on the console I do have an 8port gigabit switch and a 8port 100mbit switch in the event I run out of ports and happen to not need as much speed for the additional devices.

That Cisco firewall seems to have all the features I want except that people report that the management interface is slow and requires full resets for the most basic of changes which would drive me nuts. Granted my current one has that problem but being 30$ I really can't complain.