Poll: Would you prefer a Totalitarian society or an Anarchistic?

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst
... LastLast
    Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Reeve View Post
    I'm using it in the sense that an attempted anarchistic society would likely become Somalia pretty damned quick. A society ruled by the strongest and most brutal.
    Sounds like a totalitarian regime to me. And the situation in Somalia seems to me like many regimes (many of which are totalitarian) fighting eachother. A bit like World War II, but in a much smaller scale. I'd suggest that no such thing as an Anarchistic Society even exists.

Anarchy is the absolute last thing I would ever want to see. We would see human nature exposed at its worst. Laws are necessary.

10+ Year Old Account
    Would you rather live in a Totalitarian regime (something like the regime in 1984, A Handmaid's Tale, or Brave New World), or an anarchistic society (something like modern Somalia, complete with local warlords)?
    I was a good little henchman for Mr. House. Professional henchman sounds like such an awesome job.
    http://steamcommunity.com/id/PizzaSHARK
    Quote Originally Posted by Ryan Cailan Ebonheart View Post
    I also do landscaping on weekends with some mexican kid that I "hired". He's real good because he's 100% obedient to me and does everything I say while never complaining. He knows that I am the man in the relationship and is completely submissive towards me as he should be.
    Quote Originally Posted by SUH View Post
    Crissi the goddess of MMO, if i may. ./bow

Deleted
    Well, if I can be part of the totalitarian regime, and be under the radar, I guess I would be fine.

Deleted
    I don't like either. Anarchy in theory might work, anarchy in Somalia is actually totalitarianism at warlord level rather then state level. So from this point, the Somalian anarchy is worse then totalitarianism since you not only oppose the "leader" but also the other totalitarian regimes.

Quote Originally Posted by Baiyn View Post
    Couldn't we have the Anarchism of the Spanish Revolution as our option for 'Anarchy' instead? >.<'
    I'll take that thing.

Totalitarianism is cool. You just have to prove yourself useful while living quietly.

The Lightbringer Rend Blackhand's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Totalitarianism. I mean both would undoubtedly suck a serious sack but at least you'd be ok in the totalitarian state if you kept your head down and your mouth shut.

well Anarchists are against organization so you could never really have a country run through anarchists because there's organization >.>

sooo totalitarianism

10+ Year Old Account
    I would rather see the entire universe explode before anarchy. Anarchy is the worst thing that could ever happen to anyone. Plus, totalitarianism isn't that bad, in fact, it would actually be quite beneficial to the world if the government focused on scientific and technological progress. Anarchy, however, results in lots of needless deaths and no progress socially, scientifically, or any other way possible. Anarchy is bad and anything anarchist should be censored so no one ever gets any ideas about it.

15+ Year Old Account
    No. You're an average citizen.
    So like a Beta?

Then BNW for me it is
    Theron/Bloodwatcher 2013!

Quote Originally Posted by Alsompr View Post
    Teasing, misdirection. It's the opposite of a spoiler. People expect one thing? BAM! Another thing happens.

I'm like M. Night fucking Shamylan.

Deleted
    If I'm choosing between a war torn divided country and Airstrip One or Stalinist Russia, I'd probably go with Somalia or Sudan. The latter maybe brutal, but at least not everything is written in stone, I could try to help out even if it's only doctoring the wounded or something. If you mean choosing between totalitarianism and anarchy in general that's a harder dilemma.

10+ Year Old Account
    I'd take the totalitarian society. Military and government employees usually get special treatment in those. In anarchy, I'd just be shit out of luck.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Kalyyn View Post
    I'd take the totalitarian society. Military and government employees usually get special treatment in those. In anarchy, I'd just be shit out of luck.
    You'd probably be eaten alive by the degenerates that anarchy would bring.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Decagon View Post
    You'd probably be eaten alive by the degenerates that anarchy would bring.
    And that. I have a strong aversion to being eaten.

Neither would be good. Anyone telling themselves differently is delusional.

Deleted
    No, he's using the concept of "anarchy" that actually exists in the real world instead of fantasies that ignore how humans actually behave.
    What anarchy that exists in the real world? How are the battles between Somali warlords different than wars between large states? They differ only in size. There are PLENTY of states in Somalia, and thus no anarchy.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Palmatum View Post
    That's not the question. It's a scenario where you decide which would be less bad.
    'Twas a cutlass swipe or an ounce of lead
    Or a yawing hole in a battered head
    And the scuppers clogged with rotting red
    And there they lay I damn me eyes
    All lookouts clapped on Paradise
    All souls bound just contrarywise, yo ho ho and a bottle of rum!

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Palmatum View Post
    I don't think anyone is saying either are good. But I certainly prefer one over the other.

I don't think anyone is saying either are good. But I certainly prefer one over the other.
    In which case I'd choose Anarchy, because I'd have more control over my own fate and those around me.

Deleted
    A society where there is no legal possibility for coercive aggression against the person or property of any individual sounds pretty good to me.

---------- Post added 2012-09-28 at 09:40 PM ----------

How is totalitarianism at all different in practice from anarchy in the way the terms are being defined in this thread? Both seem to involve violence. Under totalitarianism, such violence is simply carried out by a gang of thugs calling themselves "the state". Under anarchy, such violence is carried out by another gang of thugs who choose not to bother with creating an illusion of legitimacy.