Packet losses and high ping!

Hello.

Last week i started getting high ping and wierd spikes while playing any online game.

So i pinged google.com while playing TF2, WoW, Red Orchestra 2 and Killing Floor and found out i had major packet losses and spoky ping, it jumps from 50-2000 and every 5 or 10 is a packet loss. This only happens while playing games.

I have googled for days now and i cant find a fix at all, im starting to think its my network card, but find it wierd it just randomly starts like this.

Anyone have a idea how to fix this?
    Thanks.
    Last edited by Tueland; 2012-10-01 at 03:24 PM.

1. Do a tracert to wherever (in the command prompt type: "tracert google.com" without the quotes) and take note of the very first IP address, that's your router.

2. Take that IP address and type again the command prompt without quotes: "ping -t whateveryourrouterIPis" and let it run.

3. Play your games, and when you start getting major packet loss, tab into the command prompt and see if you're getting timeouts or higher than 1-3ms pings to your router.

This will tell us whether or not your problem is on your end with your network card or router.
    i7-4770k - GTX 780 Ti - 16GB DDR3 Ripjaws - (2) HyperX 120s / Vertex 3 120
    ASRock Extreme3 - Sennheiser Momentums - Xonar DG - EVGA Supernova 650G - Corsair H80i

build pics

Quote Originally Posted by glo View Post
    1. Do a tracert to wherever (in the command prompt type: "tracert google.com" without the quotes) and take note of the very first IP address, that's your router.

2. Take that IP address and type again the command prompt without quotes: "ping -t whateveryourrouterIPis" and let it run.

3. Play your games, and when you start getting major packet loss, tab into the command prompt and see if you're getting timeouts or higher than 1-3ms pings to your router.

This will tell us whether or not your problem is on your end with your network card or router.

~32 ms - ~130 ms before i start to play, is this normal?
    http://i47.tinypic.com/34qo1vo.png

http://i48.tinypic.com/x1hgk4.png

forespørsel avbrutt = timeout
    Last edited by Tueland; 2012-10-01 at 04:57 PM.

I did what GLO suggested a few weeks back and found out my Modem was bad. Thankfully my provider came out and replaced it for free and I went to an A+ from a D on the pingtest.net meter.

Quote Originally Posted by Taotaisei View Post
    I did what GLO suggested a few weeks back and found out my Modem was bad. Thankfully my provider came out and replaced it for free and I went to an A+ from a D on the pingtest.net meter.
    can you tell if its my network card of my modem that is bad fromt he pictures i posted above?
    Last edited by Tueland; 2012-10-01 at 05:30 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Tueland View Post
    can you tell if its my network card of my modem that is bad fromt he pictures i posted above?
    You need to ping the first hop like I said. You were pinging some other address. Type in exactly this:

ping -t 192.168.0.1
    ASRock Extreme3 - Sennheiser Momentums - Xonar DG - EVGA Supernova 650G - Corsair H80i

build pics

You need to ping the first hop like I said. You were pinging some other address. Type in exactly this:

ping -t 192.168.0.1

Wouldn't hurt doing the first 3, just to get samples of them out of the way. So 192.168.0.1 and then 10.131.192.1 (presumably DSLAM or Gateway) and then 62.92.249.161 (second ISP hop)

Just from looking at what's there the problem seems to be between hop 2 and hop 3.

ping -t 192.168.0.1
    Its jumping between 1 and 168 ms, when im not playing any online games, streaming or downloading. :S

Its jumping between 1 and 168 ms, when im not playing any online games, streaming or downloading. :S
    Do you have any other computer's in the home, or devices that could perform the same test?

Quote Originally Posted by TradewindNQ View Post
    Do you have any other computer's in the home, or devices that could perform the same test?
    On my laptop it jumps between 1 and 10 when im not doing anything. I guess its the network card on my computer that is the problem then?

On my laptop it jumps between 1 and 10 when im not doing anything. I guess its the network card on my computer that is the problem then?
    Sounds like it. 168ms spikes to a local router is extremely high. I'm sure if you were gaming, streaming or whatever you would see the packet loss that you're getting.

build pics

Sounds like it. 168ms spikes to a local router is extremely high. I'm sure if you were gaming, streaming or whatever you would see the packet loss that you're getting.
    Yeah i guess so, i'll get myself a new network card tomorrow after work.
    Thanks for the help guys!

---------- Post added 2012-10-02 at 04:13 PM ----------

Anyone know if ASUS PCE-N53 11n N600 PCI-E Adapter will workt with ASUS P8P67 PRO B3, Socket-1155 ?

You might want to check your cooling situation too. One time I ended up with my NIC being too close to my video card and the NIC would overheat while playing games, causing high pings.
    ~ flarecde
    Reality is nothing; Perception is everything.

Can't hurt to try a new network card. If you still have the issue afterwards you know where to look next.

Good luck!