Elder Charms of Good Fortune and Raiding

A few days ago I killed Sha of Anger, with group loot on. To my suprise, the same system that works in LFR activated: no rolling on items, just a hidden roll for yourself to see if you won something. And possibility to use Elder Charm.

Here comes a question. For a starting raid group isn't it a better idea to use group loot in a raid then? As I see it, everybody has 20% chance of winning something, and those who don't win can roll again, again for 20% chance. Therefore, the amount of loot the raid group gets seems higher. Or am I missing something?

Thanks for responses

Deleted
    In a "normal" raid you'll use ML, as always: this system works only on LFR and world bosses.

Quote Originally Posted by Italiandk View Post
    In a "normal" raid you'll use ML, as always: this system works only on LFR and world bosses.
    Partially correct in a sense of the loot bag from LFR and world bosses.
    In a normal or heroic mode raid, if the loot is on Master Looter (normally it is) you will still receive a roll window asking if you want to pass or use a charm (if you have any). If the loot is on Need or Greed, the window will still pop up along the rest of the loot.

so you mean that it's fixed loot from the bosses in normal mode? i mean if you loot their corpse he will have loot on him for the ML to hand out to the raid?
    or is it still individual with the loot window poping up, giving you a choice to spend a charm for a chance of loot (in case you didn't get any)?

loot from bosses does not change when you use a charm, that loot can still be mater looted.

however, if you use a charm of good fortune when the boss dies, you will get an individual extra roll on loot that is specific to you (like the LFR system)

at least thats how i understand it, the charms are supposed to make up for shitty drop rates or not getting the specific loot you need - you still might not get it when you use a charm, but your chances of getting the item you need go up considerably
    <insert witty signature here>

cAN ANYONE CONFIRM THIS?

Quote Originally Posted by smokii View Post
    loot from bosses does not change when you use a charm, that loot can still be mater looted.

however, if you use a charm of good fortune when the boss dies, you will get an individual extra roll on loot that is specific to you (like the LFR system)

at least thats how i understand it, the charms are supposed to make up for shitty drop rates or not getting the specific loot you need - you still might not get it when you use a charm, but your chances of getting the item you need go up considerably

Deleted
    This is pretty obvious.

The question is - is the loot class or specc dependant - and if it is specc dependant - when is it rolled - when clicking to use the token, or when opening the bag you get?
    This might be a big question for some fights where a healer or a tank goes DPS and they would still want their mainspecc loot in the bag...

I think there is still time to click the "Yes, gimme another shot at loot" after you respecc but I aint sure...

Deleted
    When ever YOU kill a boss in LFR normal or HC a window will pop up asking if you want to roll with one of your coins for extra loot, gold or w/e.

This is your personal thing no one else can affect it. Use it when you want (best to save it for HC bosses you really want)

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Morghie View Post
    This is pretty obvious.

The question is - is the loot class or specc dependant - and if it is specc dependant - when is it rolled - when clicking to use the token, or when opening the bag you get?
    This might be a big question for some fights where a healer or a tank goes DPS and they would still want their mainspecc loot in the bag...

I think there is still time to click the "Yes, gimme another shot at loot" after you respecc but I aint sure...
    According to... somewhere (forgot where I red this) the Elder Charm only offers loot for the specc with which you defeated the boss. Example given was a Blood DK changing specc to frost before using a charm but still getting blood gear.

Ok so when you loot a killed boss, he has items on him already? and then you can also use the coins for a chance of extra individual loot?

Quote Originally Posted by T Man View Post
    When ever YOU kill a boss in LFR normal or HC a window will pop up asking if you want to roll with one of your coins for extra loot, gold or w/e.

This is your personal thing no one else can affect it. Use it when you want (best to save it for HC bosses you really want)

Deleted
    In short.... Yes. Boss dies >> he drops loot (lfr few people get loot, others get gold) loot master gives out loot >>> while this is going on the window pops up.

As soon as the boss dies, a roll window pops up with the need dice and the pass button. you can try your luck and get extra loot for the current spec your in or pass.

I think the roll window (with the timer bar) lasts 1min? 30 seconds before it passes so you need to make up your mind.

You kill Boss named 1. He drops 3 items called A, B and C

you as a rogue can only use item C.

A and B is tanking and healer items.

When boss is dead and you loot him. Only item A and B drops because you are unlucky with the drop rates. the raid rolls for it or use ML like they have ALWAYS done.

You, the rogue can use a coin and have a small chance to win item C. From the game/server. Not from someone else. Only you are affected by it. And no one else

But most of the time you loose and get like 25g

If you want to gear up as fast as possible you better grind up those awesome dailies.

What do you mean they are not fun ?

ITS DELICIOUS CONTENT, YOU MUST DO IT

Quote Originally Posted by Ayreon View Post
    If you want to gear up as fast as possible you better grind up those awesome dailies.

What do you mean they are not fun ?

ITS DELICIOUS CONTENT, YOU MUST DO IT
    I wouldn't call eight quests a day a grind. That's all you need to do to cap your charms for the week.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by MasterDinadan View Post
    I wouldn't call eight quests a day a grind. That's all you need to do to cap your charms for the week.
    And how did you come by that number? You can't really 'cap" charms as you can continue to collect lesser charms via dalies, but can only turn in 90 a week for 3 greater charms.

"I don’t know half of you half as well as I should like; and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve."
    --Bilbo Baggins
    Paarthurnax | Peijing

Quote Originally Posted by Rathgar View Post
    And how did you come by that number? You can't really 'cap" charms as you can continue to collect lesser charms via dalies, but can only turn in 90 a week for 3 greater charms.
    I think that's pretty much exactly what they mean by cap; it does you no good to farm past the 90 to turn in each week unless you want to farm more in a given week so you have to farm less for the following week.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by jaymzkerten View Post
    I think that's pretty much exactly what they mean by cap; it does you no good to farm past the 90 to turn in each week unless you want to farm more in a given week so you have to farm less for the following week.
    That would be true if daily quests gave 5 charms a pop, they don't. They give 5 Valor Points, and 1-2 charms.

"I don’t know half of you half as well as I should like; and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve."
    --Bilbo Baggins
    Paarthurnax | Peijing

To be honest, I was surprised when I was able to use the system in Normal mode MSV yesterday. I ended up getting an item I was going to bid on with EPGP, so it saved me some points :P

Quote Originally Posted by Rathgar View Post
    That would be true if daily quests gave 5 charms a pop, they don't. They give 5 Valor Points, and 1-2 charms.
    90 / 2 = 45 quests per week

45 / 7 = 6.42 quests per day, round up to 7

Seven quests per day. On a side note, in addition to the three-per-week limit, there is a hard cap of 10 Elder Charms in the currency tab.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Drilnos View Post
    90 / 2 = 45 quests per week

45 / 7 = 6.42 quests per day, round up to 7

Seven quests per day. On a side note, in addition to the three-per-week limit, there is a hard cap of 10 Elder Charms in the currency tab.
    Ahh yea i read his post wrong, thought he was talking about JUST 8 quests a week to cap which wasn't what he said.

--Bilbo Baggins
    Paarthurnax | Peijing