Page 1 of 3
LastLast

Dating: What would you do in this situation?

I'm a 20 year old woman and am in university. Today at the university library a guy who I have seen around campus a lot, but do not know, was using the computer two seats away from me. Well he did something odd, he asked me if I could help him with a physics problem, granted, it was a rather difficult problem. Since I'm nice and he was fairly attractive, I decided to help him out. Well it was a difficult problem and while we were trying to solve the problem, which took about 5 minutes, we talked about our other classes and school what-not. After solving the problem, he thanked me, and we went back to his computer two seats away from me.

Well about 15 minutes later he got up, apparently to leave, and on the way out he stopped by me and thanked me again for helping him. He seemed extremely nervous, and he handed me a piece of paper with his contact info on it. He said if I ever wanted to talk that I could contact him. I didn't know what to say, he was cute and he seemed nice and intelligent; after a few seconds passed he said "sorry this is really pathetic, I'm really bad at this, sorry and thanks for the help earlier... I have to get 'byeing'... I mean leaving, have a great day." He seemed extremely nervous around me and he quickly walked away after that.

I would like to hear the thoughts of the guys and girls here on this. What would you think of such a situation if it happened to you? Would you contact him at all via e-mail or Facebook? And what would you do the next time you ran into him on campus?

10+ Year Old Account
    If you liked him sure. It's just a normal boy meets girl interaction.
    'Twas a cutlass swipe or an ounce of lead
    Or a yawing hole in a battered head
    And the scuppers clogged with rotting red
    And there they lay I damn me eyes
    All lookouts clapped on Paradise
    All souls bound just contrarywise, yo ho ho and a bottle of rum!

I'd thank him for the compliment, but inform him that I prefer women.

10+ Year Old Account
    I'd probably shoot him a note through facebook or some such and ask to meet up for coffee or something at school. it's public, it's informal and if he seems cute and nice and he likes you, give it a shot.
    Human progress isn't measured by industry. It's measured by the value you place on a life.

Just, be kind.

If you feel an attraction to him, contact him. If not, don't. Simple really.

Seems like he was shy and liked you enough to embarrass himself. Many "shy" guys would have not done that. It is quite a compliment he faced his fears and did that - in my opinion.

15+ Year Old Account
    You seem a bit uncertain too...
    If this is your first relationship just do it. He may be too shy to ask you out if he did it the way you said.
    Just talk to him ask him casually, during a break or after school to go somewhere or seat close to him duing the lunch break. Start a conversation with him and the magic happens.
    Ask him if he likes video games, and if he does, there you go. You can get closer to him and show him you really like him. If he doesn't, think of anothersubject, but NOT school.

But, if you have the smallest doubt about doing this, don't even think to do it, it will end bad for both of you. He may lose his self confidence and if this is your first relationship or one of your first relationships, you will have a hard time to get past it.

Best of luck, ma'am

10+ Year Old Account
    I'm gonna let 'em know that Dolemite is back on the scene! I'm gonna let 'em know that Dolemite is my name, and fuckin' up motherfuckers is my game!

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by JessicaHero View Post
    I'm a 20 year old woman and am in university. Today at the university library a guy who I have seen around campus a lot, but do not know, was using the computer two seats away from me. Well he did something odd, he asked me if I could help him with a physics problem, granted, it was a rather difficult problem. Since I'm nice and he was fairly attractive, I decided to help him out. Well it was a difficult problem and while we were trying to solve the problem, which took about 5 minutes, we talked about our other classes and school what-not. After solving the problem, he thanked me, and we went back to his computer two seats away from me.

Well about 15 minutes later he got up, apparently to leave, and on the way out he stopped by me and thanked me again for helping him. He seemed extremely nervous, and he handed me a piece of paper with his contact info on it. He said if I ever wanted to talk that I could contact him. I didn't know what to say, he was cute and he seemed nice and intelligent; after a few seconds passed he said "sorry this is really pathetic, I'm really bad at this, sorry and thanks for the help earlier... I have to get 'byeing'... I mean leaving, have a great day." He seemed extremely nervous around me and he quickly walked away after that.

I would like to hear the thoughts of the guys and girls here on this. What would you think of such a situation if it happened to you? Would you contact him at all via e-mail or Facebook? And what would you do the next time you ran into him on campus?
    Are you interested in him? Because he's obviously interested in you. The very fact that he was so up front about being nervous probably points out that he likely isn't some sex hound who has a history of breaking hearts. I see no reason not to email or message him if you're interested. Ask him to go have coffee with you. It doesn't have to be anything serious, just go hang out for a little bit and feel each other out. You can learn more about each other in a casual setting, and if he seems cool you can go from there. Dating doesn't have to be this big thing where dinner and a movie are strict rules, nor does a single date require you to act like you're in a committed relationship.

Edit: Sadness. Was I trolled? Oh well, maybe someone else can benefit.
    Last edited by Letmesleep; 2012-10-03 at 11:43 PM.

It seems like you thought he was attractive and intelligent so I think you should try to over look the fact that he seemed a little shy. I my opinion being shy just shows that he isn't some kind of player.

In the end it all comes down to how you feel. If you think you might like him then go for it.

Deleted
    Well if he's interessted in you and you are curious you can contact him! if you don't well no need to i guess
    Though he might have just been friendly aswell, some people just get shy around the opposite gender without any real deep feelings.
    I know i had it a few years back. but it didnt mean i was physically attracted to the guy.

But hey if you are interessted i'd say go for it! even if it ends up with a friendship its still nice

10+ Year Old Account
    Personally, I would get to know him more, as a friend. If he was awesome, try for something more.
    Quote Originally Posted by Boubouille View Post
    I can see who votes against that, and I can ban. Just saying.

10+ Year Old Account
    Seems like a good guy, go for it, YO.

How does he know you know physics? What kind of physics problem was it?

Thanks everyone for the advice, I think I'll talk to him the next time I see him around campus, it's much more personal than e-mailing someone. I'll be sure to let you guys know how it turns out.

I was that way too at his age. Honestly, this implies that he's a relatively decent guy and isn't accustomed to getting whatever he wants from women. A little bit of insecurity (not a whole ball of it, just a little) isn't such a bad thing to mix with the raging ball of testosterone that is 20 year old men.

10+ Year Old Account
    Uncommon Premium
    Quote Originally Posted by JessicaHero View Post
    Thanks everyone for the advice, I think I'll talk to him the next time I see him around campus, it's much more personal than e-mailing someone. I'll be sure to let you guys know how it turns out.
    Best of Luck JessicaHero - and Welcome to MMO-C forums (2 post count)

I think nervousness = good, btw

- Your Tank
    --> Dac

21y/o male opinion; If you like him, then go for it. Contact him! Chances are he likes you and was just really shy and nervous/scared to be rejected. Get ahold of him! Hearing from you in any way, whether you're interested or not, (if you are say so, if you aren't just thank him for the gesture) would very likely make his day.

And hell, you never know who you're meant to meet. Saying "Hi" is always worth it.
    "If the people who are trying to destroy this world aren't taking a day off, then why should I?"

-Bob Marley

He seems to like you, but is just socially awkward enough that it's difficult for him to say so.

I don't know what I'd do in that situation, I'd probably be him. XD
    Quote Originally Posted by Aucald View Post
    Having the authority to do a thing doesn't make it just, moral, or even correct.

seems like the nice guy every girl says they want, call him before someone steals him

Quote Originally Posted by Funt Case View Post
    seems like the nice guy every girl says they want, call him before someone steals him
    Yah they "say" they want a nice guy but girls really want the bad ass who treats them like crap and tries to start a fight with everyone.