Page 1 of 4
... LastLast

So, I just made a *HUUUGE* mistake :*(

So, I really fucked-up today.

My father's been riding me about trying to merge our World of Warcraft accounts. We've both been playing since launch, and we both have a lot of Pets and Mounts the other doesn't. He actually plays a lot more than I do, while I play more hardcore; basically, he has more stuff, I have cooler stuff.

Well, because I registered both accounts under myself back in the day (he works off-shore, wasn't able to create the account himself at the time), I was able to merge them. As such, all of our Mounts are shared (though surprisingly, not Pets), as are our Achievements.

This is honestly probably the worst thing I've ever done, and I'm probably going to quit playing World of Warcraft because of it. Hell, I may even delete my account.

It's difficult to explain, but I've been playing WoW for over 8 years now (when you count the original's Beta), and I've invested a lot of time and effort into my characters. I've made so many memories, and as strange as it seems, those Achievements and Mounts were a reflection of my time in WoW. They reflected the things I had done in my 8 years of WoW, and even the things I hasn't done.

Well, now that's all totally gone, basically. Now, there's absolutely no sentimentality to my account anymore, nor to any of the Mounts or things I've acquired. Hell, my dad has already decided he's going to start using the Icebound Frostbrood Vanquisher mount, which I earned during Wrath of the Lich King from defeating *HEROIC* Icecrown Citadel, which was goddamn hard, for those who don't play WoW back then.

I don't know why I didn't put more thought into this before I did it, but now, I'm completely screwed. Apparently, there's no way to "un-merge" the account in any way that undoes the damage that the merging process has done. I'll forever be stuck with Achievements I didn't do, and Mounts that I didn't earn, while my dad has Achievements and Mounts that I absolutely busted my ass to acquire.

It's such a strange, gut-wrenching feeling to have. I've had so many memories playing WoW, and I've personally loved the Mists of Pandaria expansion so far, but this one mistake has completely soured my experience. And I know, I brought this on myself entirely, being greedy and short-sighted. Still; it really sucks

10+ Year Old Account
    Kind of feels like you're overreacting. But if that's how you feel, and you think you need to quit, then that's your decision.

10+ Year Old Account
    Call Blizzard, say that the two WoW licenses were parent and child and that the child is a legal adult and you want to demerge them.

They should without issue.

for moderation questions/concerns, please contact a global:

TzivaRadux SimcaElysiaZaelsinoxskarmaVenara

| twitch | bsky
    |

What does not it matter really ? You still have all the things that you got over the years so I am not sure I understand the issue ?

So your dad can use mounts you received over the years, so what ? He could go get the mount through ICC if he really wanted to he could get it himself, there is no prestige is getting or having it any longer.

You can turn off the merged achievements in game and then you will only see what you have earned on your specific toons, etc. This won't unmerge mounts, but it would restore some of the "nostalgia" you said you wanted. As far as your dad riding around on the mount you earned....who cares. It doesn't impact you at all. If you don't want to use his mounts, then don't!

I think you are completely overreacting. My bigger gripe would be sharing the same RealID which happens when you merge battle.net accounts, but on the bright side, this doesn't seem to be an issue for you

P.S. My son had a mage on my account. We moved him to a new account during the small window when Blizzard WAS transferring all the mounts with an account transfer (they stopped doing that a bit ago).

Anyway, the point is my son is thrilled that he can ride around on the Life-Binder's Handmaiden that I got on my shaman main and several of the other mounts that I farmed, etc. I couldn't be happier that he is getting joy out of riding mounts that I earned. What a great present for a dad to give his son, right? I expect your dad appreciates what you did. I wish you got some joy knowing that your dad is enjoying the mounts
    Last edited by ferosanvilmar; 2012-10-05 at 07:18 PM.

Oh no, my dad is going to use my prestige mount.

Seriously, take it into perspective: Its not like you merged your account with a girlfriend you've been with for 1 month, and are probably going to be dumped by in two weeks. This is your father. Does it bother you that much that he can use mounts you worked hard for? How should he feel then, knowing all the hard work he put in for you during your early years turned you into such a drama queen?

#firstworldproblems much?

Everything you accomplished is still there, it just looks different. If you mouse over an achievement it will tell you what you have or have not earned. I guess I sorta get being miffed that your dad has mounts he didn't earn but it really doesn't effect your game play. If anything you really hooked your dad up, I am sure he appreciates it more than you can imagine.

I know I myself can get caught up in the I don't want to share my toys mentality but really in the end you did a nice thing for your dad. Take it for what it's worth.

10+ Year Old Account
    You still earned every one of those achievements, and you can still flash them around trade chat for whatever that accomplishes... Nothing was taken from you.

I suppose you could say to your dad "dad, please don't use my mounts" if you're that troubeled that he can now use things he didn't "earn," and you could not use any pets and mounts you didn't earn.
    “Do not lose time on daily trivialities. Do not dwell on petty detail. For all of these things melt away and drift apart within the obscure traffic of time. Live well and live broadly. You are alive and living now. Now is the envy of all of the dead.” ~ Emily3, World of Tomorrow
    Quote Originally Posted by Wells View Post
    Kaleredar is right...
    Words to live by.

How does this bother you that much? I would be honored to play a game with my dad and be able to connect on that level. I mean he is half of the reason you even get to play this game? It is not that big of a deal unless you are estranged from your dad.. Then yes you have a problem.

This can't be serious. I'm sorry but really? Quitting because your FATHER can use a mount that's on your account? I smell a veiled "I *worked* for this, only I deserve it" special snowflake motive. Do you refuse to use achievement mounts on alts then, because this is the same thing - that alt didn't "earn" the mount.

Your post is almost as worthless as this post commenting on how worthless your post is.

Contribute. Don't post non-constructive posts
    Last edited by Darsithis; 2012-10-05 at 08:06 PM.

your dad plays wow with you? that's pretty amazing. my dad hated me for playing

You're quitting because you wanna be a special snowflake forever?

Sorry dude, but isn't Blizz fault. And let your dad ride that frostwyrm!

Quote Originally Posted by Arothand View Post
    This can't be serious. I'm sorry but really? Quitting because your FATHER can use a mount that's on your account? I smell a veiled "I *worked* for this, only I deserve it" special snowflake motive. Do you refuse to use achievement mounts on alts then, because this is the same thing - that alt didn't "earn" the mount.
    Oh get a grip.

He is not saying that at all. What he means is that the work he put into his characters are reflected by the items/achievements he gained on them. When they're shared with people who didn't put in the same work, of course the feeling you had for it will be diluted.

He has no problem with his father, special snowflake.

So you lost nothing, but you will quit because you shared things you had with your father...

I think you need to think this a little...

10+ Year Old Account
    I would be happy to help/give a family member or friend and let them have what I have.....

Deleted
    1st world problem

Post constructively, please
    Last edited by Darsithis; 2012-10-05 at 07:39 PM.

--REMOVED--

so you're this kid?
    Last edited by Darsithis; 2012-10-05 at 07:36 PM.

What rewards other people have doesn't affect your gameplay, and it shouldn't affect your enjoyment of the game.

Read that again, and if you feel otherwise, perhaps you should seek some sort of counceling. I would have charged him monies for the merge, because there is also a distinct possibility of being banned for account sharing if you are logged onto two separate computers, on different IP addresses, or engaging in two completely different gaming activities (say PVP on one account, and raiding on the other) while logged on at the same time.

Deleted
    I can understand you, I feel the same way about the archievments that are acccoutn wide now. For me the pvp wolf mount ment alot for my hunter, and all theese kind of things are gone now