Page 1 of 2
LastLast
    Deleted

Learning German - Movie recommendations

I have an interest in learning more german. I have prior knowledge of it, having studied it in school as a teenager, but now I'd like to freshen up my knowledge and get better. I like to watch movies in different languages, though ofcourse subtitled in english (I'm swedish, I just like languages) by doing something I find works well for me: by watching movies.

I've already seen a very famous movie called Der Untergang, about the last days of Hitler during the war. It's a great type of movie to learn from, both language and history.
    I'm curious if you have any tips on any movies with spoken german that can be found with english subtitles.

10+ Year Old Account
    Goodbye Lenin is a pretty fun film.
    But you'd probably have more luck in the forum dedicated to film.
    Resurrected Holy Priest

Das Leben der Anderen
    Das Experiment

Also most disney movies have german versions of it and some of them are pretty good...

I dont know about the subtitles but I can really recommend Knocking on Heavens door and most movies with Moritz Bleibtreu
    Last edited by Letharg; 2012-10-07 at 09:49 PM.

Deleted
    Der Untergang and Das Boot are two that come up that are, i believe, completely German spoken.

Deutsch is sehr spass

Edit: i read you already saw Der Untergang, sorry!

10+ Year Old Account
    In a bar. Somewhere that carries Khalua, cream and Vodka
    Run Lola Run happens to be one of my favorite movies. I cannot say as to how well it might help with German though...

In German, I believe the title is "Lola Rennt"
    Quote Originally Posted by Cyanotical View Post
    anyone want doughnuts? i hear there is a great shop in Vancouver

The Lightbringer
    10+ Year Old Account
    Anime. I understand now everything 98% on every german channel.

Die Welle.

Quote Originally Posted by Kezotar View Post
    Anime. I understand now everything 98% on every german channel.
    You watch german dubbed anime, I pity you.

OT

Watching movies for children really helps.

Berlin Calling (especially cool if you like electronic music, deals with drugs and night life in Berlin)
    Keinohrhasen (cheesy romantic comedy, but it's quite funny and good to watch with the gf/wife)
    Das Leben Der Anderen (amazing drama/thriller that deals with East Berlin during the time of the Cold War)
    Gegen Die Wand (awesome romance drama which deals with multiculturalism in modern Germany)

Hope this helps!
    My Gaming Setup | WoW Paladin (retired)

"This is not a dress. This is a sacred robe of the ancient psychedelic monks."

When you get better at German, watch "Der Schuh des Manitu" (written, directed, produced and starring Michael "Bully" Herbig).

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Combatbulter View Post
    Indeed.

OT: Try this - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of...language_films

There are a few movies on there that are worth your while. But I'd advise you to use German subtitles. You said you know the basics. So if you watch a german movie with german subtitles, you're not tempted to get lazy and just reading, but have to actually stay wide awake and listen to the context. I did that with spanish and it helped me a lot. You don't have to understand each and every word in the beginning, but it'll come over time.

Run Lola Run for sure.

The Lightbringer
    10+ Year Old Account

OT

Watching movies for children really helps.

Hey, big boy. This was when I was a kid. I still love it over the japanese. German dubbing is really impressive. I don't get it while I can't have a opinion and take part of the community without getting looked down at. At least I aced every test in German class so I guess I'm cool

---------- Post added 2012-10-07 at 10:49 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by maddeliciousone View Post
    Indeed.

OT: Try this - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of...language_films

There are a few movies on there that are worth your while. But I'd advise you to use German subtitles. You said you know the basics. So if you watch a german movie with german subtitles, you're not tempted to get lazy and just reading, but have to actually stay wide awake and listen to the context. I did that with spanish and it helped me a lot. You don't have to understand each and every word in the beginning, but it'll come over time.
    Stop trolling. There's nothing wrong with that, I love the Anime, in additional I love the german language. Why shouldn't I? If you don't like it, keep it for yourself, don't pick on my opinion. If you can't come up with a constructive result why watching Anime dubbed in German is bad I suggest you keep your mouth shut about other peoples opinions. '

I don't understand where the trolling is in that second quote.

10+ Year Old Account
    pretty much any film has a german language version. so take what you want. even if it is too hard all of them are in english too. so you don't waste money.

what you should know is, that german dub is sometimes not very good (resident evil 2 ...). if you want good dubs go for animated films, german movies and A movies.

Quote Originally Posted by Kezotar View Post
    Hey, big boy. This was when I was a kid. I still love it over the japanese. German dubbing is really impressive. I don't get it while I can't have a opinion and take part of the community without getting looked down at. At least I aced every test in German class so I guess I'm cool [COLOR="red"]
    Well I am german and all I can say is german dubbed anime is terrible, it utterly lacks emotion and is often horribly translated. ;p

There are better ways to learn the language if you don't want your ears to bleed^^

They made us watch Finding Nemo in German class subtitled in English. That was fairly helpful. Anything made for children is a great way to brush up or start learning as the dialogue will not be terribly difficult.

The Lightbringer
    10+ Year Old Account
    Well I am german and all I can say is german dubbed anime is terrible, it utterly lacks emotion and is often horribly translated. ;p

There are better ways to learn the language if you don't want your ears to bleed^^
    I don't feel that way at least, might be that you do but I've always preffered german. For same reason I can't stand norwegian dubbed videos. It's just the nature of things, you've heard it before, bored. I love the emotions, and some of the anime they to exceptionally well.