Page 1 of 3
LastLast

Hilarious (IMO) Reddit thread about players doing pump and dumps via the trading post

Basically a player created a Reddit post about a get quick rich scheme about creating a cheap Legendary, bought up all the mats he claimed he used at a low price and sold them for high before the Reddit users caught on to the scam. I thought it was pretty damn funny that people can get sucked in like that.

http://i.imgur.com/4jXBO.jpg

Here's the Reddit post about it. The post does have interesting things to say about how the market can be easily manipulated if you don't do proper research.

Mod edit: Resize images, link or thumbnails.
    Last edited by Fencers; 2012-10-08 at 06:40 AM.

I find none of this funny. However i would find it funny if he logged on to gw2 and found all his items missing, but thats like just my opinion.
    I play many games. WoW, Rift, D3, PoE, SC2 I will not criticize your game choice if you don't mine.

Deleted
    While I agree you have to be an idiot to go for something like this without some research in a supposed to be rare item (I don't play GW2 so I don't know how much 80g is either.) I don't find it funny. I'm strongly against scamming people, I almost kicked out a guildie on WoW for scamming people...it was on a small scale so I let it pass this once.

I find this absolutely brilliant that he was able to even do it.

Those lemmings got what they deserved.

This is not funny, this is sad and pathetic, I hope anet does something to this guy, like takes all his money and real leggy progress away.

Wahahahaha, what an idiots. Deserverd.

10+ Year Old Account
    Hilarious. I'd be fucking gutted if it happened to me, but it didnt.
    Quote Originally Posted by Asphyxes View Post
    Taco dinner, movie at my mancave then I'll surprise her with a TCG tabard and tell her I love her.
    Quote Originally Posted by Lazuli View Post
    my gf left me, should i Just go gay?
    Xothic - Prot Paladin

Quote Originally Posted by Raphyjj View Post
    Why does everybody on the internet have to be such a horrible cunt? Not hilarious imo, makes me sick and ashamed to be a gamer
    Why does everybody in real life have to be such a horrible cunt when it comes to making money? Not hilarious imo, makes me sick and ashamed to be a human.

No wait, it doesn't. That's the way we've evolved and why're we're alive as species today.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Vice80 View Post
    This is not funny, this is sad and pathetic, I hope anet does something to this guy, like takes all his money and real leggy progress away.
    Indeed. Why do people find it amusing to destroy someone's enjoyment to such a degree that they end up quitting? Real scum of humanity, right there.

Ee-yeah, this is pretty awful and something should definitely be done about that guy if at all possible. Just because you CAN scam someone (and people fall for it), doesn't mean you should. Let's have some basic decency and respect for our fellow humans, yeah?

Deleted
    I'm in two minds about this. On one hand, you should never trust random strangers giving you a "get rich quick" scheme for free, and anyone who falls for it is, in my honest opinion, fully deserving of losing their money because of it. Like the saying goes, "a fool and his money are easily parted". On the other hand, this is an obvious case of scamming to acquire personal gain due to intentionally spread misinformation, which is against the rules and grounds for suspension.

Le edit: I do think the case of "I was scammed, therefore I will not enjoy the game any more" is horribly extremist and an overreaction, but that's simply based on how I would react if I was in that situation. A less emotionally stable person could surely lose the desire to enjoy the game.

Quote Originally Posted by Lucky_ View Post
    Why does everybody in real life have to be such a horrible cunt when it comes to making money? Not hilarious imo, makes me sick and ashamed to be a human.

No wait, it doesn't. That's the way we've evolved and why're we're alive as species today.
    So you are all good with those scammers that send you phishing mail or e-mail? All those people scamming the government and use your precious taxes for their own personal benefits.

Those people don't keep us alive.

Deleted
    Hilarious, always nice to see scams go through. In EvE scamming is something pretty normal; however, when it happens in other games where people are frowning upon such practices I can't help but smile.

Deleted
    You all read what actually happened right ?
    Guy claiming: Combine 4 exotic staves -> Get legendary prereq

People eating that shit up, thinking they can cheat the game and throw money away doing it.

Easy guys, this is not a real life issue. No one is starving, no one died.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by braxx View Post
    Easy guys, this is not a real life issue. No one is starving, no one died.
    So, if you'd paid for gems with real money, changed them to gold and then got scammed, it's okay because nobody died? If a bank ends up stealing thousands, it's okay, because nobody is starving?

This is the reason why 'hidden' craft recipes was a bad idea to begin with. Rare drop recipes are 'ok' but hidden recipes are definitely not.

No one should gamble all of their money on something untested. Even if this scheme had been legitimate I would have argued he's a fool for that large of a blind investment.

Quote Originally Posted by Kane49 View Post
    You all read what actually happened right ?
    Guy claiming: Combine 4 exotic staves -> Get legendary prereq

People eating that shit up, thinking they can cheat the game and throw money away doing it.

I don't think it's funny at all. Part of what is nice about GW2 is that there is a lot of discovery in the game. People work out things and tell others on the internet so that they can also benefit. Like the Vista's, jumping puzzles, and yes, recipes too. it's not about cheating the game. The guy who posted the video scammed people, no two ways about it and he deserves to get banned. I don't want to play with those type of people. The type of people that get joy out of hurting others. It's a symtom of how things are changing in the world. People are happy to step on each other for money or a quick thrill. They don't care who they hurt in the process. It was a really sh..ty thing to do.