Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ...
    Quote Originally Posted by Hastings95 View Post
    They did at my school, I wasn't allowed to exempt myself from any of the finals then normal way, thankfully though, I could exempt 4 of them via TAKS exemptions (Such a joke, requirements are pass the TAKS and have a passing grade in class, so not having to take 4 out of the 7 total exams was nice. And for those not familiar with it, TAKS is the Texas standardized test, at least for my graduating class)

But, if you have medically excused (doctor's notes) absences then the school wouldn't file truancy charges, which is why I was able to miss 22 days last year, because I had all of the medically excused.
    So there you go. Thread answer: don't send your child to school sick for attendance reasons. If you really care about that, get a doctor's note.

10+ Year Old Account
    No offense but, what the fuck is wrong with that woman? It's a contagious disease, for crying out loud. All the kid has to do is scratch an itchy eye, open a door, some other kid opens the same door and then scratches their eye. BAM. It starts spreading. Actually, yes offense. That was an incredibly stupid, irresponsible move by the mother.
    "After dealing with about 10 000 patients over the last 15 years, I would say that over 200 different medical conditions respond favorably to cannabis."
    - The late Dr. Tod Mikuriya, MD, interview in The Union: The business behind getting high
    Former national administrator of the U.S. Government's marijuana research programs
    http://yourlogicalfallacyis.com/home

Deleted
    No, because my child is sick and I need to take care of him/her and otherwise it would get others sick.

No. I don't value formal education as much as other people.

I would still want my kid to attend school, it teaches you a lot you'll need in life, but I hardly care enough to force them to go if they're ill.

Quote Originally Posted by Vizardlorde View Post
    My friend's sister has conjunctivitis, but her mom sent her to school anyways for the sake of keeping her perfect attendance records. She told her that if she didn't tell anyone that she was sick and wore her glasses all day no one would notice. What do you guys think of this behavior? Would you make your child do this and make other children sick?
    Your friends sisters mother is twisted and needs a reality check.

Perfect attendance means only one thing. Your child was either very VERY lucky or you are a horrible parent.

I don't have kids of my own, but I've spent more than enough time raising my nieces and nephew to make me feel like they are my own. As such, I know that if a kid feels sick, you have the responsibility to find out why they feel sick, be that actual illness or not wanting to face a test they aren't ready for or, even worse, a school bully they don't want to deal with. Screw doctors notes.

And in the case of a child with a highly contagious infection (Pink Eye is HIGHLY contagious), sending your kid to school is the WORST thing you can do. There is NO reason to risk the health of other children just so your kid can have a perfect attendance record, which in the end means not a damn thing anyway.

Deleted
    I would send him/her. The discipline has reached the lowest bar in a long time here in these countries.

Quote Originally Posted by tseven View Post
    I would send him/her. The discipline has reached the lowest bar in a long time here in these countries.
    Attending school does not instil any discipline at all. Schools are a liberal place where bullying is tolerated, where people are told to simply conform to the stupid opinions of their under-qualified teachers and they're taught information that, is at best, 20 years out of date in an era where every day there are new ground-breaking discoveries and technologies.

Deleted
    When i was younger, about 10 - 14, i made it my mission to trick myself out of school as much as possible. Since swedish education is pure shit i skipped a huge ammount of school and still ended up with pretty much + avarage grades ^^

The moral of the story is: Let your kids stay home if they are sick. If they can't manage to cath up with the rest of the class after just missing a day or two it's not the school attendance you should be worried about

10+ Year Old Account
    No.

What's the point of perfect attendance? A certificate and a footnote on the transcripts? Colleges won't care if you skipped a day or two of school over the course of time.

It's nice to try for perfect attendance I suppose, but it isn't so important that you need to risk harm and infection to other students, as well as harm to your own child.
    Putin khuliyo

I don't have any kids of my own, but the answer would be no for two reasons.

1: My kid's health > perfect attendance.
    2: Keeping whatever my kid has from spreading and making other kids sick > perfect attendance.

I had perfect attendance for something like 6 years in a row at one point when I was in school. Know what I have to show for that? Six pieces of paper that say "PERFECT ATTENDANCE" that have been sitting in a box somewhere in my storage unit for the last 15 years.

I think ONE TIME the school worked out this deal with the local McDonald's where you got a voucher for something like a free cheeseburger/small order of fries for perfect attendance. Still not worth it.

10+ Year Old Account
    No. If I was a parent and my child told me they were sick I would let them stay home. I am more concerned about their health as opposed to getting perfect attendance.