Page 4 of 22 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Grimfrost View Post
    I see many people here writing 135-160 which are probably liars. I took an actual iq test, a real one, not online and my iq is 127.
    How can we know that you're not lying and you only got 95?

Just want to say, everyone is talking about IQ tests like they're some absolute standard which descends from heaven. In reality it's a vague term that could describe a host of different tests, all of varying degrees of scientific and experimental rigour and all of which have debatable merit.

Quote Originally Posted by Skabbo View Post
    That said, IQ really doesn't have all that much substance, I have a friend who has an IQ of 160 and he bombed out of highschool and now works at the local supermarket. One of my Uncles actually had a similar IQ of about 158 and he also dropped out of school, got on drugs, and now may be dead.
    A lot of children with high IQs struggle in school. And intelligent =/= social success. If anything they're negatively correlated.

But you are correct that a high IQ is not some sign of prestige.

Quote Originally Posted by glo View Post
    Your friend and uncle aren't anywhere close to those numbers. An IQ of 160 is simply way, way, waaaaaaay up there well beyond 99.9999999% of people. People like that don't really live just normal lives. Even if one them were that high, the odds of you knowing -another- person that high would be astronomical, virtually impossible due to simple odds.
    Well there are heaps of different "IQ tests" that might give wildly different results, so that score could mean anything, but it's perfectly possible that those two people really did have high IQs. And I think dropping out of school and killing yourself with drugs meets your standard of not really living "just normal lives". It's actually a pretty likely outcome of having a high IQ in a stupid world that you don't fit into :P

Common symptoms of high IQ: feelings of alienation, chronic boredom and depression.
    Last edited by Mormolyce; 2012-10-09 at 04:26 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Mormolyce View Post
    A lot of children with high IQs struggle in school. And intelligent =/= social success. If anything they're negatively correlated.

A lot of people with high IQ's struggle in life, because it is quite hard to relate to 'average' people. Not to mention almost all serial killers have an IQ of 140 or higher.

Quote Originally Posted by obdigore View Post

I have no worries. I get taken care of, and my new helmet has padding.
    Hahaha...nice one!

15+ Year Old Account
    there is a very high probability that mmo-champ is not a community filled with some of the 90th percentiles of IQ scores with 140-150. lmao

I'm calling everyone's bluff.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by semaphore View Post
    I don't think it goes up that high, so... >_<"
    Stephen Hawkings IQ is 256
    Walking with a friend in the dark is better than walking alone in the light.
    So I chose the path of the Ebon Blade, and not a day passes where i've regretted it.
    I am eternal, I am unyielding, I am UNDYING.
    I am Zethras, and my blood will be the end of you.

Quote Originally Posted by Mormolyce View Post

Well there are heaps of different "IQ tests" that might give wildly different results, so that score could mean anything, but it's perfectly possible that those two people really did have high IQs. And I think dropping out of school and killing yourself with drugs meets your standard of not really living "just normal lives". It's actually a pretty likely outcome of having a high IQ in a stupid world that you don't fit into :P

Common symptoms of high IQ: feelings of alienation, chronic boredom and depression.
    Going by the linked statistics, knowing multiple family members with an IQ above 160 would be something like a 1 in 1,000,000,000,000,000,000 chance. Literally. So, nope, not going to happen and if it did, once in a 1,000,000 years ONE person may have it happen to them.
    i7-4770k - GTX 780 Ti - 16GB DDR3 Ripjaws - (2) HyperX 120s / Vertex 3 120
    ASRock Extreme3 - Sennheiser Momentums - Xonar DG - EVGA Supernova 650G - Corsair H80i

build pics

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Zethras View Post
    Stephen Hawkings IQ is 256
    From what I saw, although he did take the test, he never officially released his IQ due to the belief that touting such things was an idiotic thing to do with no relevance in the real world. I also have not seen an estimate that high, most guess around 210ish using that scale, and 160 range with the traditional
    Last edited by Kasierith; 2012-10-09 at 04:35 AM.

High IQs mean nothing. Besides that, they do go down over time because of the formula used to calculate the score (your age is in the denominator) and the fact that the average IQ rises over time, so a 140 now might be equal to a 130 5 years later. A true IQ test is a real pain in the ass. I went to take one last year and it took what felt like forever (plus they're expensive, but my insurance covered it! ;D)

And as a side note, an IQ of 140+ is top .25% of all people.
    Quote Originally Posted by shocktopuslol View Post
    pokemon stadium, digletts scare the fuck out of me

Quote Originally Posted by glo View Post
    Going by the linked statistics, knowing multiple family members with an IQ above 160 would be something like a 1 in 1,000,000,000,000,000,000 chance. Literally. So, nope, not going to happen and if it did, once in a 1,000,000 years ONE person may have it happen to them.
    You can't go purely by statistics on something like that because if two people of a high intelligence raise a child they're more likely to also have a high intelligence than if two people of a lower intelligence were to raise a child.

That said 3 people in his immediate (more or less) family seems a tad on the far fetched side.

Quote Originally Posted by MrPaladinGuy View Post
    I giggled out loud.
    Hahaha I did too!

Quote Originally Posted by Decagon View Post
    By very low, I mean very low in comparison of average. I assume that I'm borderline retarded (80-85) but I'll probably never know, I don't think I could handle the stress of attempting to take an IQ test.
    I don't think that's borderline retarded, it's not a linear scale. I don't advise taking one, I also wouldn't advise stressing about it! IQ doesn't mean much.

Quote Originally Posted by obdigore View Post
    A lot of people with high IQ's struggle in life, because it is quite hard to relate to 'average' people. Not to mention almost all serial killers have an IQ of 140 or higher.
    I agree with the being able to relate to people. God, I'm so socially awkward.

Not all of it is pure intellect as well. For part of mine I had to memorize and draw dot and line based pictures that I got to study for X seconds (multiple on a sheet and I had to memorize and redraw them all).
    Quote Originally Posted by shocktopuslol View Post
    pokemon stadium, digletts scare the fuck out of me

THeres an old man who lives near me that has an IQ of 186 and the man is amazing to talk to. He was a top automotive engineer back in the day and I got him to break out a scrap book of all his accomplishments, press clippings, and literally hundreds of pantents that are still used today. Funny thing is that half the things he came up with were so simple that it seems like any reasonable person could come up with it. I guess the difference is most "above average" people would only be able to come up with a handful of useful inventions if they really put the work into it while he was able to do hundereds.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Mortifie View Post
    THeres an old man who lives near me that has an IQ of 186 and the man is amazing to talk to. He was a top automotive engineer back in the day and I got him to break out a scrap book of all his accomplishments, press clippings, and literally hundreds of pantents that are still used today. Funny thing is that half the things he came up with were so simple that it seems like any reasonable person could come up with it. I guess the difference is most "above average" people would only be able to come up with a handful of useful inventions if they really put the work into it while he was able to do hundereds.
    That's awesome.

Quote Originally Posted by Kasierith View Post
    From what I saw, although he did take the test, he never officially released his IQ due to the belief that touting such things was an idiotic thing to do with no relevance in the real world. I also have not seen an estimate that high, most guess around 210ish using that scale, and 160 range with the traditional
    I thought Zethras was just taking 2^8...

My IQ when I was last tested (end of college) was 127.

However, my skills performance was an average of 113 in all subjects if you take out writing, where my performance was 149 (based on an IQ scale).

I was taking tests to see if my language learning disability would allow my college to waive my foreign language requirement. The cut-off was a 15 point disparity in any one of the performance areas. I barely missed the cut.

English is my first and only language and I could not speak it at all until I was 7 or 8.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by semaphore View Post
    Do you realise that the odds of scoring 4 standard deviations away from the average is?
    I thought the IQ test was supposed to have a standard deviation of 10 points instead of 15, but I reserve the right to be wrong. To answer that, being 3 standard deviations away from the mean (or is it the median? both should be equal on a normal distribution so w/e) means you comprise .3% of the population. So, a person with an IQ of 70 (assuming the st. dev is = 10) is scoring in the bottom .15% of the sample and population the sample mirrors.

OT: My IQ is 132. My dad's is around 140, which is where I get it from.

---------- Post added 2012-10-08 at 11:47 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Tnep View Post
    I agree with the being able to relate to people. God, I'm so socially awkward.
    It's been shown that people far from the score of 100 in both directions suffer in personal relationships. I buy it.
    Armories: Death Knight / Paladin
    Quote Originally Posted by Regennis View Post
    Stop dating strippers.
    Quote Originally Posted by ZRebellion View Post
    Kleinlax21 who is on your 'side' had no problem doing so.He also doesn't need to attack me in literally every sentence he types.

Quote Originally Posted by kleinlax21 View Post
    I thought the IQ test was supposed to have a standard deviation of 10 points instead of 15
    Which would make a score of 160 (the original point), 6 standard deviations from the mean, and truly astronomical. But I'm pretty sure it's 15.