Animal Rights contradicting to an abortion belief.

Feelings on each individual issue is NOT the topic here. The topic here is the two issues being contradictory to one another yet regulars in general liberal belief sets.

Please attempt to justify, my ears are open and I will eat popcorn as I read your futile attempts. I truly am interested in how someone can justify both in their head without imploding from a dividebyzero exception.

Hint: Life is sacred or not sacred? Feel free to throw in your feelings on war and murder, too - you might dig yourself into a deeper hole.
    Quote Originally Posted by Endus View Post
    There is absolutely nothing about having lots and lots of sex that means you're going to have a kid.

10+ Year Old Account
    Well, I don't care about either really. I don't particularly like animals and I certainly won't mind it if few animals went extinct because they couldn't adapt quickly enough. Same with the "babies" if its parents don't want it, who the hell am I to stop them?

The problem here is there's no point trying to explain it to you; as you've made abundantly clear in your post, you've already made up your mind and nothing anyone can say will change it.

That said, I may as well dive in head first just for fun. I suppose it's the matter of cruelty and/or pain; Animal Rights activists are generally against animals feeling pain and being put through torturous conditions. So if they're against the idea of pain they can still support abortion, because an abortion is generally painless for the foetus. Indeed, it may not even feel pain at all and (depending on your viewpoint) isn't even alive. There's also the rights of the parents to consider, as the birth of the child may cause them indirect pain (financial instability, emotional duress, that sort of thing); it isn't just about the foetus.

I dunno. My personal beliefs are that I support abortion and am a meat-eater, so eh. What specific area of animal rights are you talking about anyway? Fox hunting? Chicken battery farms? The concept of eating animals entirely? Testing products on animals? There's a lot of different areas to consider.

I don't know about anyone else, but I find trying to link abortion to animal rights absolutely inane.

Quote Originally Posted by cutterx2202 View Post
    Please attempt to justify, my ears are open and I will eat popcorn as I read your futile attempts
    What's the point when you've made up your mind to not listen?

Quote Originally Posted by cutterx2202 View Post
    Hint: Life is sacred or not sacred?
    Hint: this is totally not blatantly biased and outrigt ignoring a key tenent of pro-choice beliefs.

Personally, I range from skeptical to indifferent on animal rights issues. But I still find the OP's position baffling.

At a very fundamental level, animal rights are about preventing suffering. Abortions are also about preventing suffering.

Whatever assumptions or additional stipulations you personally see in these issues that you think makes them actually about something else, they are generally not shared by the people supporting those issues. Whether they're right or wrong is a whole other topic, but the two beliefs are not inconsistent with each other. Other people don't share the baggage you bring to the conversation, just as you don't share theirs.
    Last edited by Meteoric; 2012-10-09 at 12:00 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    I don't believe a tiny ball of cells without conscious thought constitutes a human being.
    'Twas a cutlass swipe or an ounce of lead
    Or a yawing hole in a battered head
    And the scuppers clogged with rotting red
    And there they lay I damn me eyes
    All lookouts clapped on Paradise
    All souls bound just contrarywise, yo ho ho and a bottle of rum!

Deleted
    Please don't create threads with the malicious intent to rile up our forum members.