Thread: Getting Bored?

Page 5 of 13 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Brofl View Post
    Ideally I'd like to run dungeons with friends, but they're never on.
    If you join a pug and do a nice job chances are you'll make new friends in no time.

I've been wanting to say something about this for a long while now, but I felt bad for doing so. I've been totally excited for GW2 for years and had an excellent time in all the BWEs and such. I'm not a hardcore player by any means. I never raid in other games, I'm as casual and laid back as you get. I often take several months to reach max level because I just like to have fun with the journey there and take my time. I'm a roleplayer, and play games for story. I'm also still subbed to SWTOR because I love the story elements so much and want to level all the classes to max.

Somewhere along the line, though, around level 30, I just... started getting bored, though. I was very much in denial of it at first, but it was there. I finally find I have to push myself to log in at all, which astounds and depresses me, because I'd been so in love with this game at first. I haven't overplayed it or worn myself out. I haven't even run out of things to do, not by far. But somewhere along the line, something just got stale for me and I'm not sure what or why.

I bought extra character slots and have been experimenting with all the classes, but to my dismay I find none of them really jump out at me. In other games, I knew what I liked, at least after experimenting around a bit. Arcane Mage, Bounty Hunter, Berserker, etc. But here, I'm stuck. There are some classes I enjoy elements of, but never the whole. I really like scepter and torch combo on my guardian (who is also my highest, at what I think was level 41), but I don't really like anything else on her, and to play the game to its fullest, you are expected to switch between weapons. I don't even like greatsword because some of the skills stick me in place for a second or two and limit my mobility which drives me personally nuts. I think I'm also extremely bothered that many of the combat skills have long (30 second+) cooldowns. I know the idea is to work around those and use them tactically, but my personal style has never been to go for situational skills with long cooldowns. I instead tend to go for what has the shortest cooldowns, even if it's underpowered, so that I almost always have something extra available to me to utilize each fight. (This is because I tend to get paranoid about skills with long cooldowns, thinking that it's just not worth it to risk using them when I might need them next fight, and then end up never using them at all.)

Also, I feel terrible saying this, but I am not really impressed much with the story, either. I had hoped we could somehow shape the personality of our character within the cinematics, but no matter what type of character I have, even a "barbaric" aligned one, the person speaking on the screen is a cheery and upbeat "good golly gosh darn we gotta save the orphans!" kind of person. I feel a bit of a disconnect with my characters. I guess this could be because I was previously spoiled by SWTOR's storytelling.

I also learned that Trahearne, who I did not like from the start for some reason (going so far as to avoid him on one of my earlier Sylvari story options and pick getting help from an asura instead) apparently hijacks your story after level 50.

I have this weird feeling that there's nothing new or surprising in the game as I play and level up, that once you've done one zone, you've done them all, in a weird way. Like I feel I'm just doing the same thing but in different environments and with a slightly different flavor. This is especially weird for me to feel so down about, because admittedly I often actually enjoy a good old repetitive, mindless task to relax with.

I really want to like this game. I think it's a wonderful game and still try to get friends and fellow gamers to try it out. I adore ArenaNet and all the effort and work they've put into GW2. I enjoy the graphics and the freedom to roam around and do whatever, whereas many other games restrict you in so many ways. I especially love jumping puzzles and finding little hidden nooks and crannies in the world. It's totally wonderful. I just don't know what my problem is or why I'm not having fun. Despite all that I wrote above, it's not even necessarily any of those things. I could probably deal with all of them if I was just having a good enough time, but for some strange reason, I am not.
    Last edited by summourn; 2012-10-11 at 02:35 PM.
    "Imagination will often carry us to worlds that never were. But without it we go nowhere." --Dr. Carl Sagan

Deleted

Smile

No, I'm not bored at all!! A friend and I have levelled together through a bunch of games for a few years now and we're lovin GW2! We've deliberately taken it slowly so our mains are at 75 now, meaning we still have areas left to see etc. We've also chosen to (mostly!) stay out of WvW until we hit 80, so we still have that to 'discover' and are massively looking forward to it (being PvPers at heart!!)!

We also have a fantastic guild which was started by a group of friends/guildies from WoW and along with a bunch of really nice people who've joined us since, we're enjoying getting to know each other, and planning to have a load of fun doing dungeons, WvW and levelling a guild gang together ... currently all held up by my desperate need for a new pc, which is in the pipeline as we speak (I can't get it sorted out fast enough, if you ask me: yesterday would be good!!)!! =D

I think a lot of people raced to 80 and now are regretting it. I don't 'get' that mentality! The game's so beautiful (even on my laptop on all 'low' settings!!) and there's so much awesome detail (talk to all the NPC's - some have very funny conversations) that it seems a shame to miss any or skim through it quickly!

~ Mumm.5274
    'Just For Kicks' [JFK]; casual, 18+ guild, based in Desolation; check out our recruit thread on our forum: justforkicks.agoodsitebetter.com/forum

"There is only one Mumm and she must be loved and feared in equal measure!" ~ Imó, 2012

10+ Year Old Account
    I agree with summourn about the story. I read alot of SF / fantasy (not only that ) and the story is pretty not imaginative... and that guy that summourn said, I don`t like him either.
    I`m lv 80, but my friends are kinda wrapped in MoP now, so WvWvW and dungeons with ppl I don`t know, just does not feel smooth... I`ve been in 4-5 guilds, all advertising 100-200 members, but none are organised, everyone playing alts, and so on.

I also want to add that I play 1-2 hours max / day. Been lv 80 with my main, tested every other class, and decided my main is the one that fits me best.

For now, I feel that there is something missing, when I will find what that is, I will try to fix it...

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by summourn View Post
    I've been wanting to say something about this for a long while now, but I felt bad for doing so. I've been totally excited for GW2 for years and had an excellent time in all the BWEs and such. I'm not a hardcore player by any means. I never raid in other games, I'm as casual and laid back as you get. I often take several months to reach max level because I just like to have fun with the journey there and take my time. I'm a roleplayer, and play games for story. I'm also still subbed to SWTOR because I love the story elements so much and want to level all the classes to max.
    That's the problem. With all its flaws SW:TOR still has the better storytelling. It's just the shame that they contrasted it with fairly generic mechanics. I had an Operative and a Juggernaught both lvl50 there. I am usually not very excited about stories involving dragons either because besides zombies that's the most drained and depleted subject.

Somewhere along the line, though, around level 30, I just... started getting bored, though. I was very much in denial of it at first, but it was there. I finally find I have to push myself to log in at all, which astounds and depresses me, because I'd been so in love with this game at first. I haven't overplayed it or worn myself out. I haven't even run out of things to do, not by far. But somewhere along the line, something just got stale for me and I'm not sure what or why.
    Then maybe anxiety and reality caught up with you here. People tending to overexcitement usually have a very low tolerance threshold where all the amassed excitement turns in a massive ball of disappointment where you find out that after all it's crafted by human hands after all. It usually does not take much but usually common is that you find yourself detached to the subject you hoped to get immersed in and cannot find a connection even with best tries. May it be because there's too much choice or because you are looking for that shiny thing to reveal itself.

I bought extra character slots and have been experimenting with all the classes, but to my dismay I find none of them really jump out at me. In other games, I knew what I liked, at least after experimenting around a bit. Arcane Mage, Bounty Hunter, Berserker, etc. But here, I'm stuck. There are some classes I enjoy elements of, but never the whole. I really like scepter and torch combo on my guardian (who is also my highest, at what I think was level 41), but I don't really like anything else on her, and to play the game to its fullest, you are expected to switch between weapons. I don't even like greatsword because some of the skills stick me in place for a second or two and limit my mobility which drives me personally nuts. I think I'm also extremely bothered that many of the combat skills have long (30 second+) cooldowns. I know the idea is to work around those and use them tactically, but my personal style has never been to go for situational skills with long cooldowns. I instead tend to go for what has the shortest cooldowns, even if it's underpowered, so that I almost always have something extra available to me to utilize each fight. (This is because I tend to get paranoid about skills with long cooldowns, thinking that it's just not worth it to risk using them when I might need them next fight, and then end up never using them at all.)
    When I bought the game for my friend he was first trying to build the best race-profession combo and he went with the archetypes he knew of other games. But I told him that he won't find a class which "pwns" or has some magical one-trick-ponies. That he even find them all weak and that he has to make them work for him as the game won't do that for him.

But your fear of long cooldowns is unfounded. If I hadn't used my shield skills on my Eng or used Chaos Storm on my Mesmer whenever possible I'd have had half of the fun really and would probably lost a lot of efficiency on the way especially the ones for creating combos. I also have a Guardian in levelling and GS + Scepter/Torch are fun. What is even more fun that you can equip weapons and thus skills and totally adapt to the situation. Some say it's worse than GW1, I say it's different and since I am still playing WoW as well I say it feels more flexible to me.

Also, I feel terrible saying this, but I am not really impressed much with the story, either. I had hoped we could somehow shape the personality of our character within the cinematics, but no matter what type of character I have, even a "barbaric" aligned one, the person speaking on the screen is a cheery and upbeat "good golly gosh darn we gotta save the orphans!" kind of person. I feel a bit of a disconnect with my characters.
    My main character is Asura. I somehow liked the sarcastic approach to certain subjects they have. "Hey, you there. You look useful!"
    That helped a lot in sort of connecting to my character. But I regretted having rolled a Norn. Their bone-dry and humourless approach made feel less connected to that character to be honest.

I also learned that Trahearne, who I did not like from the start for some reason (going so far as to avoid him on one of my earlier Sylvari story options and pick getting help from an asura instead) apparently hijacks your story after level 50.
    So you got yourself spoiled? But *why*? Yes, you are right but I found out to my surprise there is not just one storyline afterwards.

I really want to like this game.[...]
    But you can't at this stage anymore. Which is fine. We all have our games which you had hopes for followed by disappointment. Don't try to like what you can't or you'll burn yourself out over it. I am usually asking myself: "Is it really the game's fault or mine?". After all in the end I took that risk. So what I am doing is putting it aside and come back later.
    Last edited by Ravenblade; 2012-10-11 at 04:47 PM.
    WoW: Crowcloak (Druid) & Neesheya (Paladin) @ Sylvanas EU (/ˈkaZHo͞oəl/) | GW2: Siqqa (Asura Engineer) @ Piken Square EU
    If builders built houses the way programmers built programs,the first woodpecker to come along would destroy civilization. - Weinberg's 2nd law

He seeks them here, he seeks them there, he seeks those lupins everywhere!

Quote Originally Posted by summourn View Post
    I have this weird feeling that there's nothing new or surprising in the game as I play and level up, that once you've done one zone, you've done them all, in a weird way. Like I feel I'm just doing the same thing but in different environments and with a slightly different flavor. This is especially weird for me to feel so down about, because admittedly I often actually enjoy a good old repetitive, mindless task to relax with.
    I do get what you mean, and in some ways you're correct... Once you get down near Orr, the feel of the environments does change fairly drastically, and even though some folks have stated how much they dislike the zones, I feel that they're pretty incredible. Spawn density also goes WAY up, respawn also seems faster as well, so there's never a dull moment really (and there are no hearts, so it's all DE time).

In a way, it almost reminds me of Obsidian Plains or Aerlinthe Isle from Asheron's Call.
    Last edited by melodramocracy; 2012-10-11 at 04:54 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Bovinity Divinity View Post
    Wish people would stop throwing this line out there. The things that people have brought up as concerns (just refer to summourns' post) have nothing to do with being 80, or "rushing" anything.
    Indeed, it's quite annoying that you appearantly CAN'T be unhappy/not blown away by this game without being a young person/kid, having done something wrong (lol) whilst leveling or any croc like that...players can't be blamed for content being lackluster, this goes for ALL games.

The Unstoppable Force Kelimbror's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Rorcanna View Post
    Indeed, it's quite annoying that you appearantly CAN'T be unhappy/not blown away by this game without being a young person/kid, having done something wrong (lol) whilst leveling or any croc like that...players can't be blamed for content being lackluster, this goes for ALL games.
    They can be blamed for stating an opinion as apparent truth, such that they state it's the game being lackluster and it's not the players fault. Games are designed to cover a variety of players, but not every player. While there is no need to 'blame' them, it is their personal tastes and approach to the game that might not mesh with how it was designed. Taking either side definitively is a cop out, but when a game tries specifically to do something different (ie, end game being the whole game) it is going to alienate a lot of people.

If you try to play Crazy 8's with a chess set, then complain that there's not enough crazy going on, it's completely your approach and not the game's that ruins the experience. And this is not apples and oranges. It's a game that you may try to play how you like, but whoever created did have a purpose and set of rules to follow. If you don't like the rules, you really don't have an objective leg to stand on. If the principle is sound, but you find it doesn't accomplish what it set out to do, then you have a more accurate opinion.

Still an opinion though.

Deleted
    Dunno if I'm bored. Haven't logged on in quite a while, but that's because of TL2, FTL + LoL taking up all my precious time.

Think I got bored of levelling. How I am with these kind of games is I spend a hell of a lot of time, get bored, then come back in a month when it feels new again.

Will be going back to playing when my partner manages to get it working on her new computer.

Deleted
    Mods are pretty strict on this forum, have we perhaps had enough of these threads?

Fine some people are bored then don't play and fuck off we don't need to hear it, keep this subforum for actual discussion of the game you are playing if you choose to do so, stating a negative opinion is fine too but this very far from the first thread with this title and I don't think we need more.

Just my opinion.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Manekk View Post
    Mods are pretty strict on this forum, have we perhaps had enough of these threads?
    Yeah its why i rarely bother coming back, well that and most of the people I played with quit the game about a week after I did, it is a boring game but i'm more bored of these threads now.

Quote Originally Posted by Manekk View Post
    This thread is not expressly negative. There are some that are happy with the game [me for example] and others less so.

It's okay for people to discuss why/how this may be for them as long as it remains civil. Can just as easily flood this thread with "I'm having a great time!" posts if users so wanted.

Also we can't shut down all threads on a well worn subject. They'll just keep popping up or we'd only have like 3 active threads.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Bovinity Divinity View Post
    Well...post something to discuss, then.

There's a reason all the "Bored", "Meh content", etc etc threads are vastly outnumbering any sort of positive discussion now.
    They always do. You can't nail it down like that. Been playing this genre long enough to know that negatives usually outweigh positives. The only time where positives outweigh negatives is pre-launch when noone can play anyway and shortly after. While some of the silence can be attributed to lack of positives there's no statistical basis outside pure conjecture as to why people are not spamming forums with flowers of happiness only that people who are disappointed are usually back to the forums. There some people feel enough attachment to the game still to post something about it not necessarily encouraging messages especially in forums which do not require an active game account to post.
    WoW: Crowcloak (Druid) & Neesheya (Paladin) @ Sylvanas EU (/ˈkaZHo͞oəl/) | GW2: Siqqa (Asura Engineer) @ Piken Square EU
    If builders built houses the way programmers built programs,the first woodpecker to come along would destroy civilization. - Weinberg's 2nd law

He seeks them here, he seeks them there, he seeks those lupins everywhere!

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Ravenblade View Post
    While some of the silence can be attributed to lack of positives there's no statistical basis outside pure conjecture as to why people are not spamming forums with flowers of happiness only that people who are disappointed are usually back to the forums.
    nice one with the flowers and also the sad truth in there...

Actually, yeah, some players can be blamed. If someone rushes to 80 without actually learning the game and enjoying it, they are going to be unhappy. It's not a race, but for some reason, people treat it as such in all MMO's.

An example of rushing to max level would be the first time I played Dragon Age: Origins, I pretty much rushed through it, because I wanted to see the story. I missed A TON in the process. I was upset that the game was so short, as I "beat it" in 20 hours, and it was "meh" to me, because I used a cheat to level to 20 at the beginning. I played it a second time, and made sure to do the side stuff, and really work on my character. I didn't use the cheat to level to 20 the second time aorund, either. The game was much more enjoyable to me the second time around. In this case, it was MY fault I got bored with the game, because I rushed it. It was not Bioware's fault for putting out a "lackluster game", because DA:O is actually a fantastic game, and one of my favorites now.

Some people are complaining that there is nothing to do. The comments about young people are directed at those people that have literally burnt through the content in a few weeks and are now tired of the game. That's 27 zones + cities + personal story + WvWvW + PVP. That's actually not a small amount of content. Complaining that the content is lackluster is a different thing all together and will vary from person to person.

---------- Post added 2012-10-11 at 08:46 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by draykorinee View Post
    most of the people I played with quit the game about a week after I did
    Fact.

it is a boring game
    Opinion.

That's the real problem. Everyone is different. It took my 5 year old about 2 weeks to get bored of WOW and my 9 year old about 3 months.

The Unstoppable Force Kelimbror's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Gray_Matter View Post
    That's the real problem. Everyone is different. It took my 5 year old about 2 weeks to get bored of WOW and my 9 year old about 3 months.
    Umm....what?

Quote Originally Posted by Kittyvicious View Post
    Umm....what?
    He is pointing out that opinions are not facts.

fun fact 90% of players who say Gw2 is boring either quit before level 20 or rushed to 80.

Rushing to max level is not how this game works.

I'm not saying it's a sign but often before games crash and burn the fanbois start blaming the playerbase for all the problems.