Page 3 of 14 FirstFirst
... LastLast
    Arent there different requirements for degrees in different nations? I believe the shortest amount of time for a degree here is 3 years for something equivialant to a masters. Then its 4 years for a ba. and 2/3 years for a cand.

too bad 89% of people with degrees end up with a job that has nothing to do with their degree

you wanna know how smart a country is, look at their laws. everyone fucking stupid at this point.

Bloodsail Admiral
    10+ Year Old Account
    I wonder wich country has the highest average IQ, it would be pretty funny if the number 1 country turns out to be some 3th world country

I credit the high availability of Post-Secondary education in our Country for making us #1. Even tuition by comparison is very affordable for many people, then there's government assistance and student loans are incredibly easy to obtain and fair to repay and manage. Since most of it comes from Grants anyway, and most provinces have a plan in place that if you graduate in good standing your provincial portion is completely nullified.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Didactic View Post
    I tend to agree with such videos based on the people I meet. People with diplomas and college degrees that confuse affect and effect, their, they're, and there, etc. People that don't know what albeit, heretofore, adroit, etc. mean.

And lastly, the people who don't get rather common literary references, like when I say I'm having a Miss Haversham moment.
    While I'm one to use literary references as part of my normal conversational style also (especially with people I know understand them), I don't think you can expect Great Expectations to be a common literary reference. Common literary references are things pretty much everyone reads in High School, like 1984, Lord of the Flies, etc. Great Expectations, and really any Dickens, is relatively dense reading to expect the average person to have knowledge of. I wouldn't expect that most British people had read Mark Twain's "The Awful German Language," (awesome and hilarious) or "The Man Who Corrupted Hadleyburg," even though it's much easier reading than Dickens.
    'Twas a cutlass swipe or an ounce of lead
    Or a yawing hole in a battered head
    And the scuppers clogged with rotting red
    And there they lay I damn me eyes
    All lookouts clapped on Paradise
    All souls bound just contrarywise, yo ho ho and a bottle of rum!

Quote Originally Posted by Cattaclysmic View Post
    Arent there different requirements for degrees in different nations? I believe the shortest amount of time for a degree here is 3 years for something equivialant to a masters. Then its 4 years for a ba. and 2/3 years for a cand.
    Don't know, but there are limitations that I think play part in some cases. I mean in Sweden we got 2 private run universities. Chalmers Technological Uni in Gothenburg and The Business School in Stockholm. The rest are state run and as a result the number of students that actually get accepted, esp to popular programs is smaller then the demand. Then of course you got the problems with housing in Stockholm and Gothenburg(not sure about the other University cities), students that does get accepted don't have anywhere to live so they have to turn it down because they can't find a place to live, thats the reality students face, our government seem to be unaware of that though. The rental appartments that does get built are also really expensive for people on a student budget.

I read about a new neighbourhood they are almost done building here now, 13k(around $1850) SEK/month for around 70m2. $700-800/month for a "1 room" flat, small kitchen area included. A student might have around 1400-1500/month. And thats if they do a few hours of work somewhere, if they don't work they have around $1270/month.

I'm glad I got out on the housing market before shit went fucking batshit crazy, younger people, +19 really are fucked unless their parents can buy them an appartment.
    The nerve is called the "nerve of awareness". You cant dissect it. Its a current that runs up the center of your spine. I dont know if any of you have sat down, crossed your legs, smoked DMT, and watch what happens... but what happens to me is this big thing goes RRRRRRRRRAAAAAWWW! up my spine and flashes in my brain... well apparently thats whats going to happen if I do this stuff...

what's funny is most "educated people" can't change their tire. they couldn't survive a week in the woods on their own. they don't possess skills necessary to their survival and have become specialized in skills necessary to their standard of living which includes having to pay people to do things that are necessary to their survival.

that's just not intelligence. if a guy can quote an obscure book but doesn't know what to do when his toilet doesn't flush, how smart is he, really? a smart person can figure most anything out. an "educated" person can't.

they're very different things. i'd rather get stuck in the woods with some aborigine than an investment banker. about the only good the investment banker is gonna be is when i eat him. i only know what college is like in the USA, and it's just another business. you learn things that will never benefit you, you spend 3x as long there as you have to so that they can keep charging you tuition and most people don't even use that "education" when they graduate.
    Last edited by fizzbob; 2012-10-10 at 04:40 PM.

Maybe if they held a Bachelor's Degree in Fighting Bears and the Elements, or did their Master's thesis in "My Fucking Toilet Won't Flush, What Do?!"

Since when did this become the War on the University Graduates? The way some of you are acting, it's almost as if you're expecting to see massive throngs of unwashed retards walking off campus with degrees.
    Last edited by Tradewind; 2012-10-10 at 04:42 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Yes. I believe it.

Intelligence is subjective. It all depends on what field of knowledge you are measuring a person against.

Common sense and wisdom, however, are separate from intelligence.

Quote Originally Posted by Aneuth View Post
    I wonder at what position the Netherlands is, I always thought we had good education.
    Our educational system is quite shit if you ask me.

I'd argue that The Netherlands would rank into the top 5 of being one of the most pretentious 'intelectual' countries.

Also, the bigger cities compared to the many small cities and towns we have, can show you the massive gaps of educational intelligence we have.

Not saying that people living in the smaller cities/towns are dumber than those residing in big cities, but the level of understanding certain things (should) clearly show this. That's mainly because these people live in such small communities, and that many would not be as involved with many things as those living in bigger cities.

Deleted
    One not totally irrelevant tidbit:

I once read an article about differences in education between the US and Finland. One good point that stuck was that in Finland children don't spend any time trying to learn how written words are supposed to be pronounced since in Finnish language each letter has the same sound in every word. That's also the reason why Finland has such a strong English accent. Not saying that it is the sole reason or even a major one but it has some merit.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by TradewindNQ View Post
    Maybe if they held a Bachelor's Degree in Fighting Bears and the Elements, or did their Master's thesis in "My Fucking Toilet Won't Flush, What Do?!"

Since when did this become the War on the University Graduates? The way some of you are acting, it's almost as if you're expecting to see massive throngs of unwashed retards walking off campus with degrees.
    Anti-intellectualism is an enshrined American tradition.

---------- Post added 2012-10-10 at 10:02 AM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by RüneRS View Post
    I wonder wich country has the highest average IQ, it would be pretty funny if the number 1 country turns out to be some 3th world country
    The average IQ in a given population is by definition 100.
    Quote Originally Posted by Marjane Satrapi
    The world is not divided between East and West. You are American, I am Iranian, we don't know each other, but we talk and understand each other perfectly. The difference between you and your government is much bigger than the difference between you and me. And the difference between me and my government is much bigger than the difference between me and you. And our governments are very much the same.

The average IQ in a given population is by definition 100.
    Yes, but if the average is the world, and then you take a "sub-average" for each country.

Quote Originally Posted by Wayne25uk View Post
    Well thats bull as most Americans asked to name the country they lived in couldnt answer lol theres loads of videos on it on youtube.
    If you ask enough people about anything you can say x country is full of idiots with enough editing.

I guess people where your from have no clue about video editing then?

Quote Originally Posted by Vizardlorde View Post
    Don't most(if not all) of our "AMAZING" politicians have degrees too?
    Denmark's politicians don't. Most of them have in fact never finished higher education.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by fizzbob View Post
    what's funny is most "educated people" can't change their tire. they couldn't survive a week in the woods on their own. they don't possess skills necessary to their survival and have become specialized in skills necessary to their standard of living which includes having to pay people to do things that are necessary to their survival.

that's just not intelligence. if a guy can quote an obscure book but doesn't know what to do when his toilet doesn't flush, how smart is he, really? a smart person can figure most anything out. an "educated" person can't.

they're very different things. i'd rather get stuck in the woods with some aborigine than an investment banker. about the only good the investment banker is gonna be is when i eat him. i only know what college is like in the USA, and it's just another business. you learn things that will never benefit you, you spend 3x as long there as you have to so that they can keep charging you tuition and most people don't even use that "education" when they graduate.
    I am an educated man who was a Boy Scout, did several backcountry trips more than a week long, and I have built an entire bathroom before (walls, toilet, sink, some plumbing, some electrical, drywall, and paint).

Whether or not a person is educated is irrelevant to their other skills.
    Last edited by Reeve; 2012-10-10 at 05:44 PM.

Business degrees or law degrees.
    business degrees are such a joke lol. I don't see why they aren't lumped in with women's studies or whatnot.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Raybourne View Post
    business degrees are such a joke lol. I don't see why they aren't lumped in with women's studies or whatnot.
    Marketing and management degrees are a bit of a joke (I was a marketing major), but accounting and finance degrees are actually quite useful.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Reeve View Post
    Marketing and management degrees are a bit of a joke (I was a marketing major), but accounting and finance degrees are actually quite useful.
    The -point- is that business majors are not as suited for government as say, Political Science.
    Quote Originally Posted by Marjane Satrapi
    The world is not divided between East and West. You are American, I am Iranian, we don't know each other, but we talk and understand each other perfectly. The difference between you and your government is much bigger than the difference between you and me. And the difference between me and my government is much bigger than the difference between me and you. And our governments are very much the same.

1- Iran
    2- Pakistan
    3- North Korea
    4- Afghanistan
    5- Iraq