• No.

30 18.87%
  • I'm a cookiemonster on acid

25 15.72%
Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ...
LastLast
    Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by noteworthynerd View Post
    I'm proudly geeky (and pretty nerdy as well), I hardly consider the words insults, I wear them like a badge of honor.

Also, if I could nitpick for a second:
    • Geek = Technologically saavy.
    • Nerd = Passionate about something, you can be an <insert passion here> nerd in regards to anything: computer nerd, tabletop game nerd, book nerd, sports nerd, political nerd, etc. It's normally associated with less social things though, videos games, tabeltop games, trading card games, etc.

Also, this attitude that nerds/geeks are socially inept is largely out-of-date, most of my friends would describe themselves as nerdy/geeky and yet they all like to drink, watch sports, have girlfriends, have good jobs, etc. I'm by far the most nerdy/geeky of our group and I'm extremely social (although I don't like to drink, but that's more of a desire to keep my motor control and not make myself look like a giant idiot).

Finally, I leave you with one of my favorite quotes: "Be nice to nerds. Chances are you'll end up working for one." - Charles J. Sykes
    The social pariah aspect belongs in nerd, also its not enough to have a passion for a thing you need to have high level knowledge of the thing your passionate in.

What's wrong with being geeky? Besides being geeky doesn't only mean that you just play WoW 24/7; being geeky means you understand computerstuff and are smart(er) as well. At least I think so. And how is running around in bars all night long more preferable to spending the night home, chatting with your friends online and on vent? Both have their cons as well as pros. It's a matter of which you prefer more.

Cooooookie!!!
    Quote Originally Posted by Novakhoro View Post
    I recommend shoulder surgery immediately... there's no way you didn't fuck it up with how hard you just reached.

Deleted
    Yes and no..

Im not the "dress up as an elf and talk funny" or attend to Star Wars conventions type but I'm .. different. I'd say Alice in Wonderland type if that is an accurate description of anything.

While I do like (darker) fantasy, I'm not really that geeky about it, however, I don't follow any social ideals just because it's supposed to be done like that without a good reason provided. I mean basically any "rules" about being normal by that like for example you should move out before this age, party 3 times a week, have this and that many friends, get a husband and have children before that age and so on.

I just try do what makes me happy and try not to pay much attention to that. If that makes me look crazy or geeky, so be it

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by TJ View Post
    I wear glasses, I'm pale, I stay up late, I play games for a stupidly unhuman amount of time, yeah I'd say I fit "geeky" pretty well.
    I wear contacts, but this is it. I do play with a dear friend of mine.

it also doesnt help I moved into the city two hours away from everyone I care about and work at a job i hate. So said friend and I (since he sadly lives states away) play all weekend long together.

i move in less than 300 days.... closer to him by coincidence

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Fuzzzie View Post
    I moderate MMO-Champion. What do you think? :P
    Thats really depends on which of my infractions you are responsible for :P

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by dim View Post
    i think over last 20 years the meaning of geek and nerd kinda changed. tbh, ppl who are not geeks today are wierd lol

if someone calls me geek i say fuk yeah....cuz theres nothing wrong with it. geeks drink, geeks date, geeks have social life, geeks party...and they are also into computer techonolgy, games, science and all normal things today. i dont even wanna talk with ppl who are not at least geeks cuz they are boring. even the ppl who play sports today are at least on some lvl geeks, cuz in free time what they do....play xbox or ps. its not like some club paid millions for them so they can go party everynight and drink.

the definition of geek is changed. be proud that you are geek

now nerds are extreme geeks, but i respect them...they rule the world
    As one of my friends said; geeks are active nerds.
    Quote Originally Posted by Marjane Satrapi
    The world is not divided between East and West. You are American, I am Iranian, we don't know each other, but we talk and understand each other perfectly. The difference between you and your government is much bigger than the difference between you and me. And the difference between me and my government is much bigger than the difference between me and you. And our governments are very much the same.

10+ Year Old Account
    Yes and no. I'm geeky to most or at least a lot, but to my own standards, there are FAR geekier.

Rule of Thumb: If the healer's HPS is higher than your DPS, you're doing it wrong.

i would def concider myself a geek

why would i wanna go out and blow 1000+ getting completely shitfaced all night long and wake up next to some random chick who was prob better looking when i was blind drunk and the lights where out

when i could stay at home chill out hit up some gaming watch some anime and chill with my gf ? i think being a geek is far better lol besides im 100% sure ill live much longer then anyone that drinks ( spare accidental death )

also im a cookiemonster on acid yummm =D

Herald of the Titans Feral Camel's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    I'm not really sure.

I work in a library (8 years now), I love video games and I'm obsessive with film and television.

I'm not the smartest of guys though. I drink too much and while its been a slow month, I haven't had a weekend this year that I wasn't busy with weddings or parties till last month.

Does having a social life really cancel out being a geek though?

I'm a geek and I get along splendidly with other geeks.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Rivehn View Post
    U am geeky at heart but I don't look it. Witch is a big problem because I wasn't meet a female with the same interests.
    Thats probably because they can't understand you.

Pretty much, I just learned to accept it.

It's really just about doing what you like to do. I got dragged to plenty of gatherings and events by people who thought I was too different, and that I should learn to enjoy normal stuff (of course they didn't use those words), but at the end of the day it just didn't appeal to me.

So if I get labeled for doing what I love, sue me. It's just a name.
    Quote Originally Posted by Aucald View Post
    Having the authority to do a thing doesn't make it just, moral, or even correct.

Deleted
    I love how they added ''I'm a cookie monster on acid'' to the poll XD

10+ Year Old Account
    I have no social life, I play games on my freetime, I think it's safe to say i'm geeky.

Deleted
    I play games for obscene lengths of time but that's about it now. I come across as one of those dudes who looks like they would have no idea about geeky things like anime, computers, games, science etc then blast people out the water with my leet skills and knowledge.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Shiift View Post
    So, are you geeky? And if so, what makes you geeky?
    No. I play a videogame now and then, but that doesn't make me a geek.

I'm getting very good grades in college/university though, and my interests are space, theoretical science, new technological developments and history.
    I think those qualities make me more of a geek than playing videogames. However, I happen to drink and dance a lot in the weekend, so nobody that knows me would say I'm a geek. And I'm not, I'm simply smart not geeky.

Deleted
    I don't see myself as a geeky geek, but I'm probably geek aligned. If you saw me in the street, you would probably think "Oh yeah that guy is totally a geek", but I don't really enjoy alot of things that most today's "geeks" do.