Page 1 of 5
... LastLast

My guild is making me gear for both ele and resto.....again

I really, really hate 2-heal fights.

In Dragon soul, I could never compete for DPS and I could never compete on heals because I never got my 4set bonuses for either over the course of our raiding due to me having to get ele and resto pieces. I bitched and moaned and complained the entire tier about it and they ended up promising that I'd be good to stay perma-healer for Mists.

One of our officers leveled a monk and was going to be our hybrid healer/dps. However, his DPS was a complete and total failure. So then we moved our druid healer over to off-tank while our off-tank moved to DPS. Druid took too much damage even though the original OT was doing competitive damage.

So, yep, you guessed it - I had to go DPS.

For the first two kills - Stone Guard & Feng, I was heals, and I topped healing meters by a not insignificant amount. (A full 5% ahead of 2nd place monk).

Then, I had to DPS for Spiritbinder and Spirit Kings. I don't really count spiritbinder because of the logs problem due to different realms - it showed me doing 50% of damage, lol. But for Spirit Kings, I did 56k dps and 2nd place was our rogue at 50k dps.

It wasn't even close or pretty.

And because I did so well on DPS while everyone else failed, I'm going to be stuck doing Ele/Resto for all eternity.

I JUST WANT TO PLAY WHACKAMOLE, DAMNIT.

Welcome to playing a hybrid class that is pretty competitive in terms of DPS. I had to do the same thing on my shaman and my paladin in previous tiers because I was just generally better than the other DPSers in much worse gear.

You could just go look for another guild that is only recruiting a DPS but you will find that there are times you will be healing instead of DPSing. Also, roll another class that is only DPS like a mage or a warlock. Also 3rd, tell your guild you only want to DPS and see how that pans out, they could gkick you, no more raiding, or realize that you are only going to DPS, find another healer and you can go on your merry way.

Deleted
    You should put down your foot and say either I am this or that, not both. If others can't play their spec then maybe those people should be scolded at for being crap. Being a hybrid class should not excuse people to play what they do not want to play.

Deleted
    Well in my last guild i also was ele/resto but when i wanted to heal id heal and when i said that im going dps then no 1 was arguing and they searched for another healer :P
    Change guild or demand a dps spot and hold to it, 3rd option reroll. Simple as that.

10+ Year Old Account
    Well that happens to me with my priest... I WANT TO DPS NOT HEAL!.... raidleader: heal..... please... we need one...., Me: No... i don't want, all the raid menbers: don't be such an asshole and heal! is not a big deal..., me: i want to DPS D;, me: oks i will heal... just these boss......

Now i'm a perma healer on my guild >.>

Deleted
    Not sure if moaning or bragging?

We have several people in our team who readily swap specs for whatever reason (2 healer fights, 1 tank fights, going 4 DPS on Challenge modes etc) and they (and I) quite enjoy taking advantage of the versatility of being a hybrid class. Not sure why you don't?

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Cathina View Post
    You should put down your foot and say either I am this or that, not both. If others can't play their spec then maybe those people should be scolded at for being crap. Being a hybrid class should not excuse people to play what they do not want to play.
    You can put your foot down but that is not playing for the raid. I personally get the most satisfaction out of progressing with my raid group. That means so far I have geared up and played all 3 specs this xpack, first enh/resto and then ele/resto because blizzard tends to design encounters that punish melee.

We encourage all of our players to play either 2 or all 3 of their specs as it allows for the maximum amount of flexibility in progression. If you don't want to play 2 roles maybe that's not the guild for you.

10+ Year Old Account
    I agree with the rest, put your foot down. Tell them you want to only heal and if you are doing more dps than the actual dps, they should be the ones being punished, not you. You will either get what you want or a new guild.

Quote Originally Posted by Tankitbetter View Post
    In Dragon soul, I could never compete for DPS and I could never compete on heals because I never got my 4set bonuses for either over the course of our raiding due to me having to get ele and resto pieces.
    My guild had this problem in three of our five runs in DS. By the end we had a new guild rule in place: "The hybrid people (Heal/DPS and Tank/DPS) get to roll Main Spec on both roles, provided they are actually showing up every week."

Quote Originally Posted by Valiea View Post
    Welcome to playing a hybrid class that is pretty competitive in terms of DPS. I had to do the same thing on my shaman and my paladin in previous tiers because I was just generally better than the other DPSers in much worse gear.

You could just go look for another guild that is only recruiting a DPS but you will find that there are times you will be healing instead of DPSing. Also, roll another class that is only DPS like a mage or a warlock. Also 3rd, tell your guild you only want to DPS and see how that pans out, they could gkick you, no more raiding, or realize that you are only going to DPS, find another healer and you can go on your merry way.
    I think you missed his point, he does not want to dps at all. He wants to heal all the time.

Deleted
    really, if it's such a big deal to you, quit your guild. I would personally never recruit anyone that does not play whatever I tell them to play. Based on what you wrote, it is clear that your loyalties do not lie in your guild's well being.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Syridian View Post
    Not sure if moaning or bragging?

We have several people in our team who readily swap specs for whatever reason (2 healer fights, 1 tank fights, going 4 DPS on Challenge modes etc) and they (and I) quite enjoy taking advantage of the versatility of being a hybrid class. Not sure why you don't?
    This is a different matter, some fights do not demand 5-6 healers but like two, ofc other healers go dps then. That is one fight, you know for before, I would have no problem going dps for one, I think neither would the op. His point is mere that he has to dps this boss, heal that boss, dps this and heal that, making it harder for him to gear up and be behind everyone else. It's more the promise that they would have someone else go dps, so he could permanently be healer, they broke promise because others were crap. Those people should've been told to play properly and not have someone else take the punish.

10+ Year Old Account
    1> You're a hybrid. Any decent hybrid player should be able to manage multiple roles. Yes, this means your guildmates who're crapping out on DPS should be working to fix that; their poor ability to swap roles is a reflection on them as a player, not their class.

2> Any decent guild will do one of two things; either make you pick a "main spec" and have gear for that take priority (while ensuring off-spec gear gets funneled to you as it can be, when nobody else needs it for MS), or increase your gear quotient either through bonus DKP for multiple roles or the like. There's no reason whatsoever that you shouldn't finish your 4-set for a spec; whichever is your main focus should be getting the tier pieces first. Get LFR tier or the like for the secondary, and then upgrade them when you can. By the end of DS, I had close to full (H) 4-sets for Ele/Resto, and I was about halfway done with Enh, even though I never used it. My guild's not exactly hardcore, either.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by edlike View Post
    You can put your foot down but that is not playing for the raid. I personally get the most satisfaction out of progressing with my raid group. That means so far I have geared up and played all 3 specs this xpack, first enh/resto and then ele/resto because blizzard tends to design encounters that punish melee.

We encourage all of our players to play either 2 or all 3 of their specs as it allows for the maximum amount of flexibility in progression. If you don't want to play 2 roles maybe that's not the guild for you.
    Ofc, I do agree with you. I would gladly dps some fights in my guild, but I would gear up as Restoration mainly and would prefer to play as Restoration. There are fights you do not need that many healers, so it's a given you should have a dps offspec with the appropriate gear, but as I hate dps "as the op" I would be quiet if they would ask "which healer is going dps?"

Deleted
    Who pays for your account?

I had similar, folk nagging me to go one spec` when I didn`t want to so refused to.

Do what you want to enjoy, it`s your game/time/fun/money

guild achivements > personal dmg/heal meters achivements

If you are needed to do both and there isnt anyone else that can do the job better than you , just put it on their face and say "I'm awesome b..thces"

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Ranaas View Post
    guild achivements > personal dmg/heal meters achivements

If you are needed to do both and there isnt anyone else that can do the job better than you , just put it on their face and say "I'm awesome b..thces"
    That's one way of putting it. :P Or just say 'you people that can only play one spec sucks!' and I do not mean those people that only want to play one spec.

In TBC I was shadow but healed quite often. And in Wrath I was fury but tanked often enough (before the multi-spec option). So I paid for respecs every raid and sometimes multiple times during a raid to accommodate the guild. In return I was considered both specs and could get a drop for both specs as they were my "main" specs.

The guild needs to reward you in some way or let you play the way you want. If not, do not raid or find another guild.

Quote Originally Posted by Sylf View Post
    I think you missed his point, he does not want to dps at all. He wants to heal all the time.
    This, exactly.

If there was a class that had 3 healing specs, I'd be it.

---------- Post added 2012-10-14 at 05:00 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Chonaire View Post
    really, if it's such a big deal to you, quit your guild. I would personally never recruit anyone that does not play whatever I tell them to play. Based on what you wrote, it is clear that your loyalties do not lie in your guild's well being.
    Since I'm still in the guild, it's obvious where my loyalties lie indeed.

Accusing me of not being loyal is ridiculous. I play this game to have fun. I have fun when I'm healing. I am having a little fun making fun of my other friends who I am out-dps'ing in healer gear but that's just more friendly teasing and not actually having active fun.

I don't get pleasure in seeing a 120k lava burst crit. I get a ton of pleasure when I see tank suddenly drops low due to burst and my GHW crits and he jumps up to 90% hp.

Then, I had to DPS for Spiritbinder and Spirit Kings. I don't really count spiritbinder because of the logs problem due to different realms - it showed me doing 50% of damage, lol. But for Spirit Kings, I did 56k dps and 2nd place was our rogue at 50k dps.

It wasn't even close or pretty.

And because I did so well on DPS while everyone else failed, I'm going to be stuck doing Ele/Resto for all eternity.
    It sounds like your dps raiders are bad, arn't rogues one of the lower dps classes atm?
    Quote Originally Posted by Burnt View Post
    You can trust me. I just flop around like a fish until I decide what I want to believe, then I tell people they are wrong for thinking some other way. It works for me.
    Words of wisdom if I have ever heard any.

I JUST WANT TO PLAY WHACKAMOLE, DAMNIT.
    Quote Originally Posted by Sylf View Post
    When he said this I figured he wanted to DPS. Whackamole doesn't really imply healing, sorry.