Page 12 of 13 FirstFirst ...
LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Gothicshark View Post
    Was he girly? or gay? Nope.
    I like turtlenecks, too. I still hate skirts, they look horrible. Also, the Japanese guy doesnt look to happy in his skirt. It's more like he's about to start crying every given moment.

I can't believe people are still suggesting "listen to your parents or move out" over a minor complaint the parents have regarding a coat. Way to read the first sentence from the OP. All this discussion about moving out over a coat is utter nonsense, talk about insanity wolf advice.

(I'm using the meme to make the point at how absurd the advice is.)

They aren't telling him what to do, they are just voicing their opinion (most likely in a non-serious manner) that they don't really like the coat and are giving him crap about it in the hopes that the OP will take their opinion into consideration. That's perfectly normal from a conservative parenting point of view, they are obviously concerned about their son fitting in. As much as you want to disagree with your parents, their opinion holds some truth. It just depends on you whether or not you want to go with or against the grain, the latter being an uphill battle.

10+ Year Old Account
    Leftcoast 2 blocks from the beach, down the street from a green haze called Venice.
    Quote Originally Posted by StayTuned View Post
    I like turtlenecks, too. I still hate skirts, they look horrible. Also, the Japanese guy doesnt look to happy in his skirt. It's more like he's about to start crying every given moment.
    Thats because I choose the picture of the Gothic Japanese man. He will always look like he is about to cry.

As for skirts it is just an example. lots of females don't like skirts as well. So that is a personal preference issue. But take the turtleneck, many offices in the western world will look at you funny if you started to wear them instead of the uniform collard shirt. Also what about asian collars? on western shirts.

Here is a great example of what I am saying.

Here is a Mans shirt that does not conform to the male rules.

Layered look, fitted for narrow waist, the mannequin doesn't do it justice. No collars, button from chest down.
    Last edited by Gothicshark; 2012-10-16 at 09:05 PM.

Stop wearing chicks clothes and you wont have this problem.

@OP: your photo isn't great (clean the mirror and show much more of your body in the photo) but I don't like the jacket at all. The overall effect is feminine, and I'm guessing it has a cinched waist (which is definitely feminine). That's not to say that it's wrong to wear feminine clothing or that you should care about your parents' criticism, but it is what it is.

Not saying wearing "women's" clothing, but having a sense of style and being able to be free to look as you want with out having to wear a uniform of mainlines.

example.
    If I supported the death penalty, wearing that green kilt would be a capital crime.

There's nothing wrong with subverting traditional masculinity, but that guy just looks ridiculous. You'd have to go out of your way to come up with a fit as discordant as that one.

The whole Braveheart thing is just about as ridiculous. Maybe if you're actually Scottish and that's your family tartan or whatnot, but 99% of the time wearing it is going to look like a costume and unless you enjoy being mistaken for a stage actor I'd avoid it.

Hakamas are fine though. I'm really into the looser fit stuff, just can't afford any of it.

Here is a Mans shirt that does not conform to the male rules.

big picture

Layered look, fitted for narrow waist, the mannequin doesn't do it justice. No collars, button from chest down.
    That's a very nice shirt, yet if you want to go to a serious office while being in a high position, this isnt something that you should wear. It looks like you just prepared for a hangover night, not for a serious presentation about past sales.

10+ Year Old Account
    Leftcoast 2 blocks from the beach, down the street from a green haze called Venice.
    Quote Originally Posted by Aphorism View Post
    The whole Braveheart thing is just about as ridiculous. Maybe if you're actually Scottish and that's your family tartan or whatnot, but 99% of the time wearing it is going to look like a costume and unless you enjoy being mistaken for a stage actor I'd avoid it.

Hakamas are fine though. I'm really into the looser fit stuff, just can't afford any of it.
    Personally I think men in kilts are kind of hot. Take this US Marine. Defiantly not a Scott defiantly works for him.

Not all clothing has to be worn at the office.

Personally I think men in kilts are kind of hot. Take this US Marine. Defiantly not a Scott defiantly works for him.
    You're really good at finding pictures of horrible fits.

Tis a nice jacket and it looks good on you.

I'm female.

Sry, but that's your opinion. I think he looks like a carnivals figure.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Aphorism View Post
    @OP: your photo isn't great (clean the mirror and show much more of your body in the photo) <snip>
    This particular mirror reminded me of the flossing scene from "Kingpin". ewwww

OT: ask your parents if there is something else, something deeper & much more important that is REALLY bothering them/on their minds. Ask them to plz be honest with you & that honestly approaching whatever the subject is will get all of you farther & closer to an agreement or at least a pleasing outcome. Look up quotes about ppl judging by looks/appearances etc. I wonder if there really is something else they want to talk about but for unknown reasons started on this coat...

If you're still in a young enough mindset to be using decimals or fractions in your age, I'm not surprised your parents micromanage your life.

Deleted
    Fashion is almost literally the most pointless and laughable thing going. Why do you care?

Quote Originally Posted by sibut View Post
    If you're still in a young enough mindset to be using decimals or fractions in your age, I'm not surprised your parents micromanage your life.
    I use decimals and fractions on numbers which are larger than one thousand, I just like being super accurate with numbers is all, and I did state that I should had put "almost 20 years old" but it won't let me change the title.
    Please drop the discussion about fractions and decimals.

thanks.

---------- Post added 2012-10-16 at 02:58 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by sugarlily View Post
    This particular mirror reminded me of the flossing scene from "Kingpin". ewwww

OT: ask your parents if there is something else, something deeper & much more important that is REALLY bothering them/on their minds. Ask them to plz be honest with you & that honestly approaching whatever the subject is will get all of you farther & closer to an agreement or at least a pleasing outcome. Look up quotes about ppl judging by looks/appearances etc. I wonder if there really is something else they want to talk about but for unknown reasons started on this coat...
    You maybe right, I am somewhat suspicious that there is a hidden concern. Maybe I should talk to them again about this.
    It seems very strange that they would suddenly bring up this discussion about "feminine jackets" about 5-7 months after I got it rather than the first few times they saw me wear it.

Nerd in a kilt
    Completely reasonable if you want to look like total clown shoes.

That may or may not be "hip" nowadays though, I suppose.

As to the OP, just look at the positives. Should you get a lady friend and it's a cold night, you can offer her your jacket, and she'll be pleasantly surprised by how well it fits her.
    They can dynamite Devil Reef, but that will bring no relief, Y'ha-nthlei is deeper than they know.

15+ Year Old Account
    that style for men was popular in the 60s. Pull up any movie actor, or fashion in general, and you'll find men with a turtle-neck style shirt (usually, not always) with a thin waist jacket (usually leather).

Best example I could find in a few seconds. Does not show the thin waist, but you can tell just by looking:

Quote Originally Posted by FathomFear View Post
    when the very structure of our loans and education system are assuming that's not going to be the case.
    I'm glad we agree they should stop assuming every student is a free-loader so there's a better chance at independence. Parent's income should have absolutely zero impact on a person's ability to get a loan if they are not being claimed a dependant.
    Quote Originally Posted by Endus View Post
    There is absolutely nothing about having lots and lots of sex that means you're going to have a kid.

19yr old argues with parents over whether or not he should be allowed to dress himself.

Suddenly, I don't feel so sour about paying my bills.

Quote Originally Posted by Gnarles Malarkey View Post
    19yr old argues with parents over whether or not he should be allowed to dress himself.

Suddenly, I don't feel so sour about paying my bills.

Yeah, I have it quite easy compared with most, I consider myself a very fortunate human being to receive so much love from my parents, but we do have complications every now or so.

First world problems