Page 4 of 20 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Jamos77 View Post
    I'm discussing the current entry conditions to TOR's latest promotion.
    Let me ask you a question. Which option do you think would have brought more ex-subscribers back to the game, the one where they have to resub in order to get Cartel Coins or the one where you get Cartel Coins for how long you were subbed for whether you resub or not?

Personally, I don't find it insulting or underhanded. I find it to be of poor customer relations. When people leave WoW, Blizzard will send out e-mails saying "Hey, come back for free for a week and check out the new shininess." Rift has free weekends for former subs. What does EA offer to those who left? Shit. "Hey, we're going F2P, either resub or go fuck yourself." Poor form, in my opinion.

I still don't understand why some people are angry at the idea that to participate in the 'free coins' you need to be currently subbed when the F2P launches.
    - They're not spitting in customer's faces.
    - Customers are paying a subscription.
    - Customers will get X amount of free coins.
    - People who stopped paying a sub aren't customers. What am I missing?
    Well if you are somebody who was subbed from day 1 until just before and some new player comes in and gets coins that started well after you and paid a fraction of what you did that is an issue. Many ppl stuck by BW and SWTOR mistake after mistake and lie, over promise or under delievery time and time again. Then they stop paying briefly and the long time rewards are handed to somebody that hasn't put in the same money or time.
    "Privilege is invisible to those who have it."

Quote Originally Posted by Kittyvicious View Post
    I started another thread about the specifics on the free page, but check out this nice little piece of text that has replaced all the mumbo jumbo at the bottom:

Isn't that cute? I guess they have been reading these threads and EA is pushing ahead.

Also:
    This is shown on the Coin page for me:
    Earn 1000 Complimentary Cartel Coins by becoming a subscriber today!
    Now I don't know if this is a coincidence, since it's how many points I have apparently 'not really earned', but it is misleading me to think I would get an extra 1000 coins for subscribing now. However, we already know that if I don't stay subbed when it is F2P this is not true. Also, maybe they are referring to the coins I've already earned.

The deception just keeps growing.

And here is where any of you who thought your dedicated subscription up until this point meant they thought anything of you:
    http://www.swtor.com/support/helpcenter/6785

Their definition of a "Loyal Subscriber" is literally only someone who has an active sub when they go F2P. You could have bought a CE, subbed until the day it went F2P and you would be considered shit on EAs shoe.
    It definitely refers to the amount of Coins you have already earned. Something I found humorous while looking at mine was the fact that they gave us 2 free months. I understand that they gave them to us, but I think it's funny that we get no Cartel Coins for those 2 months because we didn't pay for them despite the fact we had no say in the matter.

I will enjoy finishing my last few character to 50 and then moving on with my life. Swtor will be memorialized in my sig as 8 50s.

oh wait, no I wont. Because dying costs real life money.
    Last edited by Bardarian; 2012-10-16 at 11:36 PM.
    (Warframe) - Dragon & Typhoon-
    (Neverwinter) - Trickster Rogue & Guardian Fighter -

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by notorious98 View Post
    Let me ask you a question. Which option do you think would have brought more ex-subscribers back to the game, the one where they have to resub in order to get Cartel Coins or the one where you get Cartel Coins for how long you were subbed for whether you resub or not?

Personally, I don't find it insulting or underhanded. I find it to be of poor customer relations. When people leave WoW, Blizzard will send out e-mails saying "Hey, come back for free for a week and check out the new shininess." Rift has free weekends for former subs. What does EA offer to those who left? Shit. "Hey, we're going F2P, either resub or go fuck yourself." Poor form, in my opinion.
    It's a missed opportunity. It could have been handled better? Heck yes. My simple point is that it doesn't strike me as an insult nor a spit in the face. I was replying to those few who typed that it was.

It's hard to compare WoW's attempts to get back paying subscribers and Rift's. TOR is going F2P so in theory that beats 'free weekends' and 'free weeks'. If an ex TOR player is curious about the game in 2013...they can play it for free indefinately to try it out. I'll wager those emails will be sent post November. Noone is being told to 'go F themselves'. It's a simple promotion to 'celebrate' the F2P launch. The entry criteria is clear (finally). People are reading way too much into all this imo.

It's hard to compare WoW's attempts to get back paying subscribers and Rift's. TOR is going F2P so in theory that beats 'free weekends' and 'free weeks'. If an ex TOR player is curious about the game in 2013...they can play it for free indefinately to try it out.
    And this is where you're wrong. The biggest difference is that you can jump into WoW and run a raid, PvP as many times as you want, run as many dungeons as you want, experience as much content as you want. In Rift, with your weekends, you can run as many raids as possible, PvP as much as you want, etc. In TOR, with their move to F2P, you can.....level as much as you want.....run a FP or two.....run a couple WZs.....whatever the limitations are that they've set for you. However, if they were to give those coins to past subscribers, they could buy some extra WZs, buy some more FP runs, etc. It would make them more likely to try out most of the content without having to shell out some extra dollars. It's a gesture of good faith. Sorry you don't see it like that, but it is. "We're going to give you these because we believe we can win you back."

And you never answered my question, you just dodged it. Which option is more likely to bring back more former subscribers, option 1 or 2?

The Unstoppable Force Elim Garak's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    The game will be f2p - that means everyone with an account will be able to play it.
    Either by creating new or using existing one.

And to those with existing one - who are not subbed at the moment, but who are gonna play the game - they're basically telling this:

"Pay us to get your complementary reward for your previous payments"

That's extortion.

Quote Originally Posted by ag666 View Post
    The game will be f2p - that means everyone with an account will be able to play it.
    Either by creating new or using existing one.

And to those with existing one - who are not subbed at the moment, but who are gonna play the game - they're basically telling this:

"Pay us to get your complementary reward for your previous payments"

That's extortion.
    My take on it is they're basically saying somebody who subbed for 6+ months and paid the initial $60 for the game is worth just as much as somebody who starts playing the day after the game goes F2P who gets to download the game for free and experience all the leveling content for free, etc. Somebody who is getting for free what I (and many others) had to pay to experience. Sweet. Makes me feel special.

The Unstoppable Force Elim Garak's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Not to mention that we - the people who have pre-ordered the game and paid for 6+ month - have basically covered their expenses in creating the god damned game in the first place.

Deleted
    And this is where you're wrong. The biggest difference is that you can jump into WoW and run a raid, PvP as many times as you want, run as many dungeons as you want, experience as much content as you want. In Rift, with your weekends, you can run as many raids as possible, PvP as much as you want, etc. In TOR, with their move to F2P, you can.....level as much as you want.....run a FP or two.....run a couple WZs.....whatever the limitations are that they've set for you. However, if they were to give those coins to past subscribers, they could buy some extra WZs, buy some more FP runs, etc. It would make them more likely to try out most of the content without having to shell out some extra dollars. It's a gesture of good faith. Sorry you don't see it like that, but it is. "We're going to give you these because we believe we can win you back."

And you never answered my question, you just dodged it. Which option is more likely to bring back more former subscribers, option 1 or 2?
    I guess we have to disagree then. I don't need to run multiple FPs/Ops/Wzs to 'check a game out'. TOR's selling point is the story I thought. So unlimited access to the story seems to me to be a nice incentive to 'try the game out'.

As for your question it was more forgetfulness then dodging. You started your post off with it and I initially replied to the 'meat' of that post. My bad.

I'd go for option 1. If I had to guess that is. I know a few who are actually subbing now for the coins. I don't know anyone who would resubscribe because Bioware was nice enough to hand them coins whether they subscribed or not. It's a guess though.
    Last edited by mmoc3d23c7f243; 2012-10-16 at 11:56 PM.

The Unstoppable Force Kelimbror's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    I'd go for option 1. If I had to guess that is. I know a few who are actually subbing now for the coins. I don't know anyone who would resubscribe because Bioware was nice enough to hand them coins whether they subscribed or not. It's a guess though.
    Well you now know one person. I only resubscribed to start earning coins I thought I would receive. The moment we found out (after they had already changed it and not told anyone) was the day I cancelled my subscription.

I would have kept my sub running and jumped on to raid to continue earning my coins just to see what they would get me. At the point this was announced there was NOTHING going on in the game.

---------- Post added 2012-10-16 at 07:58 PM ----------

It definitely refers to the amount of Coins you have already earned. Something I found humorous while looking at mine was the fact that they gave us 2 free months. I understand that they gave them to us, but I think it's funny that we get no Cartel Coins for those 2 months because we didn't pay for them despite the fact we had no say in the matter.
    I noticed that as well. Kudos to their Cartel Coin accountants. My disbelief was been thoroughly exhausted with this game and company. I expect them to start saying I owe them money somehow, from some small print text they changed on the cancel subscription page.

For some reason, I doubt that you're right. Especially considering the only people on here who I've seen that aren't currently subbed and commenting think that this is a load of shit. To the point of calling it insulting.

I guess we have to disagree then. I don't need to run multiple raids/Ops/Wzs to 'check a game out'. TOR's selling point is the story I thought. So unlimited access to the story seems to me to be a nice incentive to 'try the game out'.
    I've already seen the story. What about seeing it again is going to bring me back? Let's put it this way, if I'm a PvPer, sometimes doing something like PvPing enough times makes you nostalgic to want to PvP in the game again. It happened last year with me and WoW. Their week long event, allowing me to raid and PvP, was enough to get me to resub until TOR came out. Trust me, it works.

Quote Originally Posted by Arlee View Post
    Honestly it is probably because they want to give an incentive to people to resub now, and to reward people have stayed subed/already resubed and not reward people who currently aren't giving them any money.
    Exactly this. These Cartels coins are rewarding those who sub/have subbed, not just those who are only going to log on for the F2P and not spend any cash. If that's your plan, you don't need these extra coins. You'll be alright without them, and still able to level alts. Meanwhile, those of us who have spent (are spending) money to keep playing, will get a reward. I have no idea how it's so hard to understand.

Also, 1400 for me!
    There were around 7,000 Greeks in total at the Battle of Thermopylae.
    Not just the Spartans and a few inept imbeciles to play clean up.
    Friends don't let friends listen to Zach Snyder/

Deleted
    Well you now know one person. I only resubscribed to start earning coins I thought I would receive. The moment we found out (after they had already changed it and not told anyone) was the day I cancelled my subscription.

I would have kept my sub running and jumped on to raid to continue earning my coins just to see what they would get me. At the point this was announced there was NOTHING going on in the game.
    I think you misunderstood his 2 options.

Your choice is more Option 1 than 2.

Which option do you think would have brought more ex-subscribers back to the game, the one where they have to resub in order to get Cartel Coins or the one where you get Cartel Coins for how long you were subbed for whether you resub or not?

I think you're saying that you quit your sub solely due to Bioware switching the wording back in august. Had they not done this you would have stayed subscribed right? Not the change itself but more that they changed it 'secretly' is your beef. I'm guessing this from your many posts on this subject back in August.

His options deal with all ex players I thought. Not just the very few who quit in august due to having noticed Bioware's shift on this matter. The motives are different I believe.

Can I put you down as half instead of one?

Disclaimer: It's 2am, my daughter is up in 5 hrs and so please excuse me if I messed this particular post up. It made sense in my head and am not sure if that translated properly.

The Unstoppable Force Kelimbror's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    I understand what you are saying, but I am saying I specifically came back to the game because they told us we were getting coins. I wouldn't have resubscribed at all at that point because there was no content to experience. I was an ex subscriber that was brought back by the now known to be false statement of receiving cartel coins.

I'm sure I'm not the only one who talked themselves into resubbing b/c it earned points for when it goes F2P. I tend to support F2P games with a subscription while I'm playing them. I have subbed to LotRO, who has a vastly superior currency and F2P system, multiple times instead of only playing for free.

With that being said, they completely lost out on my subscription in the future by not giving the currency as originally stated.
    Last edited by Kelimbror; 2012-10-17 at 12:13 AM.

I think you misunderstood his 2 options.

Your choice is more Option 1 than 2.

Which option do you think would have brought more ex-subscribers back to the game, the one where they have to resub in order to get Cartel Coins or the one where you get Cartel Coins for how long you were subbed for whether you resub or not?

I think you're saying that you quit your sub solely due to Bioware switching the wording back in august. Had they not done this you would have stayed subscribed right? Not the change itself but more that they changed it 'secretly' is your beef. I'm guessing this from your many posts on this subject back in August.

His options deal with all ex players I thought. Not just the very few who quit in august due to having noticed Bioware's shift on this matter. The motives are different I believe.

Can I put you down as half instead of one?

Disclaimer: It's 2am, my daughter is up in 5 hrs and so please excuse me if I messed this particular post up. It made sense in my head and am not sure if that translated properly.
    Actually, the decision WASN'T Option 1. Kitty resubbed to earn the coins before going F2P, in order to earn as many as possible. Kitty UNSUBBED once it was made clear that in order to earn your previous Cartel Coins, you had to be subscribed. But the subscription wasn't due to being forced to sub in order to get Cartel Coins. Instead, it was the exact opposite. Leaving because they were forcing former players to be subbed in order to get Cartel Coins.

Deleted
    I understand what you are saying, but I am saying I specifically came back to the game because they told us we were getting coins. I wouldn't have resubscribed at all at that point because there was no content to experience. I was an ex subscriber that was brought back by the now known to be false statement of receiving cartel coins.

I'm sure I'm not the only one who talked themselves into resubbing b/c it earned points for when it goes F2P. I tend to support F2P games with a subscription while I'm playing them. I have subbed to LotRO, who has a vastly superior currency and F2P system, multiple times instead of only playing for free.

With that being said, they completely lost out on my subscription in the future by not giving the currency as originally stated.
    My final attempt to understand (sorry in advance).

Ok you subbed because you wanted the coins? (I specifically came back to the game because they told us we were getting coins)

Option 1 was 'they have to resub in order to get Cartel Coins'.

You see now why I was mistaken? My bad.

10+ Year Old Account
    Woot 300 cartel points, even when I pre-ordered ... amazing >.>
    -K

Quote Originally Posted by H3llion View Post
    Woot 300 cartel points, even when I pre-ordered ... amazing >.>
    And did you pay for ANY months after?
    There were around 7,000 Greeks in total at the Battle of Thermopylae.
    Not just the Spartans and a few inept imbeciles to play clean up.
    Friends don't let friends listen to Zach Snyder/

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Nakaya_Kilrogg View Post
    And did you pay for ANY months after?
    It counted two months of subscription not the pre-order. That said it was standard edition but still ...
    -K