Thread: Fire Mage Guide

Page 21 of 83 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    I think the 2 pc is amazing. Alter time as fire is always used to get beefy combustions, now you'll have an extra 5100 haste on those combustions. This could change optimal haste values, promoting reaching the next tier of haste to get another tick of combustion with that 5100 haste.

15+ Year Old Account
    I guess something I said was worded wrong.

Nothing to do with haste WITH 2pc t15. I mean as haste overall.

Was fire for a boss after playing with simcraft

Code:
                     Int     SP     Hit     Crit    Haste   Mastery
    Scale Factors	4.34	3.36	0.00	2.53	1.97	 2.19
    is what I managed to squeeze out of it.

But the RNG is so terrible... (maybe I just had crap luck.. because after going back arcane, I constantly went 15-20 sec+ without AM procs.)

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Zhaen View Post
    So guys I recently got 4-set LFR for my mage, but I discovered simcraft suddenly values haste a lot higher than before. Haste now has a value of 2.67 while crit has 2.68, and when I insert these values into a reforger it reforges away a bit of my crit and mastery into haste. This sudden change of haste value has got me thinking that it might me wrong, so could anyone please explain me whether to reforge to haste? Appreciate it

My armory link: http://eu.battle.net/wow/en/characte...aelreth/simple

As a BE, you only need 3056 Haste to reach 23 ticks with a glyphed combustion raid buffed. Every other bit should be reforged and invested into crit. Mastery is also better at this point. Also, gemming Crafty Vermilion in your red sockets over Potent may prove fruitful, for the extra hit to your gear, could allow for some extra crit to be gained from your reforging. Also enchanting your gloves with superior expertise, could also get rid of excess haste, and in turn get more crit from your gear. Because of your current item level you can't hit the next haste breakpoint and still have a good % of crit. RNG starts to diminish greatly after 22% crit unbuffed also, so the more the merrier. Hope this helps.

As for the t15 Bonus, 2pc is really attractive, if the changes to Invo go live as well as the 2pc, it's going to be big, especially for fire.
    The four piece is also very attractive, 5% increase crit to pyro added to your own crit, then multiplied by Critical Mass, comes out for me anyways, a little over a 50% chance to crit with Pyroblast(That's taking into account my current gear with that set bonus). So it can only get better and that sounds real sexy to me.
    Last edited by KoolKidKaos; 2013-01-15 at 05:13 PM.

15+ Year Old Account
    the 4pc bonus is about 6.5% overall increase to pyroblast crit

Scenario 1: Alter Time and PoM
    - Fireball until you get a crit.
    - Inferno Blast queue that crit into a Pyroblast Buff.
    - Make sure Pyromaniac debuff (via mage bomb) is up.
    - Pop all trinkets/Synapse Spring buffs
    - Hit the Macro - At this point it will fire 1 pyroblast (using up the buff), you will have a PoM buff, and 6 seconds till Alter Time ends.
    - Hit Pyroblast - this will use up the PoM buff (sending out pyroblast 2)
    - Hit the Macro - This will preemptively end your Alter Time countdown and reset you to: Pyroblast buff and PoM buff and then it will fire insta pyroblast 3, consuming Pyroblast buff.
    - Hit Pyroblast for insta pyroblast 4 (consuming PoM buff for the 2nd time).
    - Hit Combust
    sorry but this is not working for me - can someone please help as I am trying to max my dmg on windlord in HoF

the first time you hit the macro essentially you are using PoM to instant cast a pyro blast that you already have ready to go as an instant cast!

therefore, when you try and hit pyroblast again (the 2nd pyroblast) it will be a hard cast?

i don't seem to be able to get through this rotation without hard casting a pyro

At this point it will fire 1 pyroblast (using up the buff), you will have a PoM buff,
    no you won't - you will have used your PoM on the first pyro?

sorry, but this is hard to explain - can someone help?

cheers from a trying hard mage

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by peregrina View Post
    sorry but this is not working for me - can someone please help as I am trying to max my dmg on windlord in HoF

the first time you hit the macro essentially you are using PoM to instant cast a pyro blast that you already have ready to go as an instant cast!

therefore, when you try and hit pyroblast again (the 2nd pyroblast) it will be a hard cast?

i don't seem to be able to get through this rotation without hard casting a pyro

no you won't - you will have used your PoM on the first pyro?

sorry, but this is hard to explain - can someone help?

cheers from a trying hard mage
    Maybe you should post your macro to see if there is maybe a fault concerning the order.

Just to clear it up:

Hotstreak (HS): is an InstantPyro
    PoMPyro: is an InstantPyro

The idea behind this macro is to save both with AT and double them.

So the most important thing is: PoM has to be activated BEFORE AT!
    Another fact is that a HS Pyro doesn't use the PoMbuff.

Sometimes (due to Serverlag i think) by resetting AT you start a HardcastPyro but have the 2 InstantPyros resetted and ready.
    To avoid this you can just do sidesteps or jumping while chaining Pyros.

I have/use 2 Hotkeys for that:
    1 - Macro (PoM->AT->Pyro)
    2 - Pyro

So i do: 1 2 (2) 1 2 (2) - while donig that i spam Q,E for sidesteps and avoiding the hardcast.

ANOTHER IMPORTANT THING NOT MENTIONED:

Start this sequence not with HS only, wait for HS/HU
    Be aware of Crits an dont do all Pyros if there is a Crit
    After a Crit do just 1-2more and the combust

Hope that do clear things up for you, i am not native speaking english, hopefully you could get what i mean

Have fun and keep on trying
    Last edited by Abraxis; 2013-01-18 at 12:07 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Abraxis View Post
    Maybe you should post your macro to see if there is maybe a fault concerning the order.

Just to clear it up:

Hotstreak (HS): is an InstantPyro
    PoMPyro: is an InstantPyro

The idea behind this macro is to save both with AT and double them.

So the most important thing is: PoM has to be activated BEFORE AT!
    Another fact is that a HS Pyro doesn't use the PoMbuff.

Sometimes (due to Serverlag i think) by resetting AT you start a HardcastPyro but have the 2 InstantPyros resetted and ready.
    To avoid this you can just do sidesteps or jumping while chaining Pyros.

I have/use 2 Hotkeys for that:
    1 - Macro (PoM->AT->Pyro)
    2 - Pyro

So i do: 1 2 (2) 1 2 (2) - while donig that i spam Q,E for sidesteps and avoiding the hardcast.

ANOTHER IMPORTANT THING NOT MENTIONED:

Start this sequence not with HS only, wait for HS/HU
    Be aware of Crits an dont do all Pyros if there is a Crit
    After a Crit do just 1-2more and the combust

Hope that do clear things up for you, i am not native speaking english, hopefully you could get what i mean

Have fun and keep on trying
    hey, thanks very much for that... i didnt know that the HS pyro wouldnt use the PoM buff and I am jumping between pyro casts and that seems to have stopped the hardcast problem -- i do have a lot of lag and latency on my server so that might very well explain it

anyway, just been practicing on dummies and am able to chain crits a lot more effectively and get some big juicy combusts!

thanks a lot!!!! much appreciated!

Well written guide, thanks!

15+ Year Old Account
    I need to open something new for discussion.

Haste values for fire. With all our recent nerfs and hits, it seems more logical to have mastery as a secondary, and just use haste for breakpoints.

image used from totemspot

For 2 extra ticks of Living Bomb is 37.52% haste! That's off the friggin walls.

The first major point seems to be 12.51%/12.55% for Bombs and combustion.
    The sweet spot (for our current tier..) seems to be between 17.44% and 22.47% for combustion ticks..

It also seems that Combustion(glyphed) gets an extra tick, about every 5% haste... So you figure bloodlust will give 6 extra ticks of combustion.

I can hit 17.47% haste (ABOUT 4585 rating for my goblin) pretty easily, and have around 30% mastery.

I'm going to try this build next week raiding. (Monday is normal mode clean up.. offnight. I'll do some tests then)

Since mastery unofficially scales with our spellpower, and such, I think there is more to it then what is seen. It just feels like everybody abandoned fire research and jumped the arcane/frost boat.

Deleted
    The "haste to cap, then focus on mastery"-build is widely accepted, for most characters Haste to 12.54% for the extra LB and Glyphed Combustion then take mastery as the returned value of haste drops after that soft cap

I am still skeptical that this would yield better results than crit stacking.

15+ Year Old Account
    You would still stack crit, for sure.. I'm just talking secondary.

15+ Year Old Account
    After working on vizir progression, I would like to say fire is pretty good, if you itemize it correctly.

110k+ ignite openers... 60k+ mid fight for combustion. I'm only sitting at 34% (tooltip, not counting cm/buffs).. few more heoric pieces, and valor upgrades.. it starts to shine.

Quote Originally Posted by spaace View Post
    After working on vizir progression, I would like to say fire is pretty good, if you itemize it correctly.

110k+ ignite openers... 60k+ mid fight for combustion. I'm only sitting at 34% (tooltip, not counting cm/buffs).. few more heoric pieces, and valor upgrades.. it starts to shine.
    Mastery over Haste or? What's your recommended ilvl to swap to fire?

15+ Year Old Account
    Haste until you get to a breakpoint.. depends on your gear. 12.57% seems to be easily attainable. (every 5% haste after that, combustion gets +1 tick)

I'm sure if you're in full regular gear, with the right items you can pull off very competitive numbers.
    You just need tons of crit to make up for the CM nerf

Quote Originally Posted by spaace View Post
    Haste until you get to a breakpoint.. depends on your gear. 12.57% seems to be easily attainable. (every 5% haste after that, combustion gets +1 tick)

I'm sure if you're in full regular gear, with the right items you can pull off very competitive numbers.
    You just need tons of crit to make up for the CM nerf
    Interesting, ty for the reply

15+ Year Old Account
    With combustion nerf, 4pc isn't very attractive either... with only 2 pieces of tier with crit on it, its worth to use other pieces.. (i recommend Tier helm/chest.. off piece shoulders/gloves/pants.. with crit (or high hit) pieces.

I just use a rule of thumb (same for when I play invo/arcane).. No crit?(haste for arcane) take the BIGGEST stat, and reforge it to crit

Hey guys and girls I was hoping one of you can have a look at my char and let me know if there is anything I can fix or do better.

http://us.battle.net/wow/en/characte...%B2wy/advanced

Also what stats weights shod I been using? Here is what i'm using now.
    http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/14/magepn.png/
    Last edited by Squinty; 2013-02-13 at 10:33 AM.

15+ Year Old Account
    I dont understand your stat weights... how did you come up with them?

cap haste and give it 0 value whatever you can reach with your gear..
    totemspot has a good haste chart.

combustion gets a tick every 5% (or so)
    Last edited by spaace; 2013-02-14 at 07:58 PM.

Anyone know off the top of their head what the exact rating needed for 12.54% haste is? Counting raid haste buff, not counting goblin.
    Your persistence of vision does not come without great sacrifice. Let go of the tangible mass of your mind, it is only an illusion. There is no escape.. For the soul burns on everlasting encapsulated within infinite time. A thousand year journey at the blink of an eye... Humanity is dust..