Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ...
    Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Stormcall View Post
    It got its name SOLELY because they sing about vikings. If they're not singing about vikings, NOBODY(other than you, apparently) will call them viking metal, period, end of story. You can claim otherwise if you like, and you can claim the sun is actually a giant ball of cotton candy, and you will be equally correct on both subjects.[COLOR="red"]
    No, actually I am quite correct and almost any BM nerd who knows their shit will tell you the same, just like Nektar said pretty much the same thing. Viking metal has clearly definable musical qualities that set it apart from other genres as a subgenre of black metal, regardless of lyrical content. Which is why stuff like Amon Amarth is not viking metal, it has viking lyrics but musically it is melodeath/gothenburg.

You are correct in that, however, that it DID get its name because they sung about vikings, when Bathory released the respective albums. However the genre it spawned is differentiated ONLY by musical traits.
    Last edited by mmocbbd281298f; 2012-10-19 at 05:51 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Uldreth View Post
    No, actually I am quite correct and almost any BM nerd who knows their shit will tell you the same, just like Nektar said pretty much the same thing. Viking metal has clearly definable musical qualities that set it apart from other genres as a subgenre of black metal, regardless of lyrical content. Which is why stuff like Amon Amarth is not viking metal, it has viking lyrics but musically it is melodeath/gothenburg.

You are correct in that, however, that it DID get its name because they sung about vikings, when Bathory released the respective albums. However the genre it spawned is differentiated ONLY by musical traits.
    Your post lacks credibility unless you provide some concrete examples of these "musical qualities".

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Longview View Post
    Your post lacks credibility unless you provide some concrete examples of these "musical qualities".
    I described that in the post I made before the one you quoted.
    But, as it is:

This song and the mid-era of this band would be a good example (perhaps a bit earlier albums even more so as Enslaved already started going towards a progressive direction with this). Characteristics of black metal can be found here as viking metal is a subgenre of black metal, but it has that bombastic, driving "feel" of the music, instead of the focus on cold tremolo picking.

And again. Acoustics also appear in the intro of this one.
    Last edited by mmocbbd281298f; 2012-10-19 at 08:07 PM.

Deleted
    Metal all the way, PSY is hopefully a bad "cold" for people that will pass. I find the song itself very annoying...

No, actually I am quite correct and almost any BM nerd who knows their shit will tell you the same,
    I know dudes who have been listening to BM since the fucking genre was created(and metal as a whole even longer), who can give you an in-depth history of it and it's offshoots from formation to present, and when they disagree with you, I'm inclined to take their word for it. As I said, you're about the only person I've ever seen argue otherwise, and I've been reading metal forums and boards and even usenet groups since '97.

Deleted
    I know dudes who have been listening to BM since the fucking genre was created(and metal as a whole even longer), who can give you an in-depth history of it and it's offshoots from formation to present, and when they disagree with you, I'm inclined to take their word for it. As I said, you're about the only person I've ever seen argue otherwise, and I've been reading metal forums and boards and even usenet groups since '97.
    Then they are incorrect, simple as that. I even shown you examples of what viking metal is like and you can see it yourself that it differs from the base black metal sound.

Of course you can say it isnt very different, but neither are other sub-genres of black metal, like atmospheric or depressive/suicidal (which is once again not only differentiated by lyrical content but by the sound). :P

Then they are incorrect, simple as that. I even shown you examples of what viking metal is like and you can see it yourself that it differs from the base black metal sound.
    Derp, nobody said it sounded like black metal, but that it isn't DEFINED by the sound, it's defined by the lyrics. A band can sound EXACTLY like Tyrfing, or Bathory, or whoever, but if they're singing about something other than vikings, fucking NOBODY(other than you) will call them "viking metal".

Deleted
    Derp, nobody said it sounded like black metal, but that it isn't DEFINED by the sound, it's defined by the lyrics. A band can sound EXACTLY like Tyrfing, or Bathory, or whoever, but if they're singing about something other than vikings, fucking NOBODY(other than you) will call them "viking metal".
    Except you cannot say that, since I don't know of any other metal band who has a sound similiar to these and /don't/ sing about vikings, regardless of what it is called.

However we know that not all bands who have viking themed lyrics are considered viking metal, such as Amon Amarth, because their musical properties are not of viking metal, which means that viking metal has characteristics that define it outside lyrical themes. This is simple logic.

You have "standard" lyrical themes in most other genres as well that most bands adhere to, even if exceptions exist, from this perspective it is irrelevant if 100%, 99%, 90% or 75% or whatever of bands within a genre adhere to it.

But I think this discussion doesn't go anywhere from this point on so we should just agree to disagree and stop.

I was hoping for some intelligent conversation when I read "Music" and "Metal" in the same thread title. But it just ended up being one metalhead fighting with a guy who doesn't like metal and two metalheads fighting over what constitutes viking metal. Oh well, that's what I get for putting my hopes on the internet.

Quote Originally Posted by Drekmen View Post
    It's not like it's hard to be original in electronic music when you can make all sorts of sound there.
    In metal you have guitars and drums.
    There are TONS of bands and genres that use more than guitars and drums.

I was originally gonna start my post with "What the heck is Psy?" but someone elaborated, so I'll add my two cents, as a metalhead who lists mostly to metal (tons of different genres), but will give almost any genre a try, with a few exceptions (hardcore, emo, and country, I'm looking at you!).

To the OP: I disagree with you. Partly because you sound extremely elitist. I'm not saying that there is plenty of cookie cutter pop music out there, because I definitely hear a bunch on the radio whenever I'm forced to hear it, but the same exact thing can be said about metal and every genre. The only reason why people like you put an emphasis on Pop is because it's so prevalent. Why aren't you complaining about how there's a bunch of crappy, stereotypical country music out there? Because, in most places, country isn't the norm, so you're not exposed to it (as much), and you don't have to worry about it (but I'm not saying country music is bad). And when it comes to comparing metal with Psy, it's not a really appropriate comparison. I listen to metal in English and various other languages, but mostly German. The only German I know is from words I've googled because of bands like Rammstein, Belphegor, Elis, and so on (I like to know what the titles of my favorite songs mean, even if I don't understand the rest of the song). While yes, there are varying degrees of dirty vocals in metal, to an outsider, I'm sure the majority of those aren't comprehensible to newcomers. But no one says they don't like Gagnam Style because they can't understand it. They say it because they just don't like it.

Fuck it i'll say it. Metal is a superior form of music to pop. If Beethoven was alive today, he'd much sooner be at Soundwave than at Future music. I will bet all the money in the world on that, and if he is ever revived, you can pay me then. The day pop does an 11/8 time signature i'll shit gold bars. Metal pushes music to new places. Pop is copy and paste.
    I prefer metal, but who's to say it's superior? No one, music/art is subjective.
    If Beethoven was alive today, he'd be deaf. Vibrations are vibrations. So pay me now. (Although I have known a deaf guy who listened to metal because he liked the vibrations)
    Who cares what time signatures a band uses? Time signatures are just another aspect of music, and using specific ones doesn't make any music more or less superior.
    There is new, exciting, and unusual music in every genre. But what is new, exciting, and/or unusual to one person (you) might not be the same to another (everyone else).

So, TL;DR: I love metal. I hate metal elitists. Why can't we all just get along?

Oh, and PS: Hardcore is not metal, it's short for Hardcore Punk, look it up, y'all~

Quote Originally Posted by momirmaster View Post
    Although I believe that We never killed osama and OBAMA just used it as propaganda to win a election cause Osama's was probably dead for years I Usually am not gullible.

However we know that not all bands who have viking themed lyrics are considered viking metal, such as Amon Amarth, because their musical properties are not of viking metal, which means that viking metal has characteristics that define it outside lyrical themes. This is simple logic.
    Your simple logic sorta kills your point though, as the VAST majority of people consider Amon Amarth "viking metal"(I do not, they're a melodeath act that sings about vikings)

Also, Suidakra uses a great many elements of "viking metal"(especially earlier on), yet....they sing about Celts. Never seen anyone refer to Suidakra as viking metal...

10+ Year Old Account
    Or people don't like metal. How about that one? It sounds like shit and I hate the migraine inducing screaming.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Klutzington View Post
    Or people don't like metal. How about that one? It sounds like shit and I hate the migraine inducing screaming.
    That's fine, of course but you know of course that not all metal is "migrained inducing screaming". Right?

The Unstoppable Force
    15+ Year Old Account
    Where Thrall and the Horde needs me to be
    Quote Originally Posted by Klutzington View Post
    With all the many odd subgenres and sub-subgenres of metal, I'm willing to guarantee that most people can find at least ONE band in the metal world that they'll like. There's honestly something for everyone.

... Not to mention that your statement is stereotypical nonsense on the same level as "all black people are criminal".
    Last edited by Venziir; 2012-10-20 at 12:26 PM.

Amazing sig, done by mighty Lokann

Deleted
    It's not like that. You people, in the music issue, should see the it objectively. You can't say which is superior or not. It's just what you like and what the other likes(Although this is subjective). Respect the other's flavour in music and don't judge him. The controversy in this issue is foolish and stupid. Being biased in music reveals deep facsism intentions. Generaly being biased is not a good thing.

10+ Year Old Account
    Pop is not a genre, just a large umbrella term for multiple genres as well as pretty much an "approach" to music.
    And this is how I feel about metal. But I dont argue over what type of music is better. Its a stupid argument. ALL music brings some sort of joy to someones life and people should just leave it at that. Some musicians dont work as hard as others but thats life.

---------- Post added 2012-10-20 at 09:01 AM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Venziir View Post
    With all the many odd subgenres and sub-subgenres of metal, I'm willing to guarantee that most people can find at least ONE band in the metal world that they'll like. There's honestly something for everyone.

... Not to mention that your statement is stereotypical nonsense on the same level as "all black people are criminal".
    my entire life i have never found anything in the metal genre i like... so far in 30 years i cant honestly say i do not like 1 single metal song. ive actually found 1 christian artist song i have liked and im a very non-religious person

The Unstoppable Force
    15+ Year Old Account
    Where Thrall and the Horde needs me to be
    Quote Originally Posted by Biggayshammy View Post
    And this is how I feel about metal. But I dont argue over what type of music is better. Its a stupid argument. ALL music brings some sort of joy to someones life and people should just leave it at that. Some musicians dont work as hard as others but thats life.

---------- Post added 2012-10-20 at 09:01 AM ----------

my entire life i have never found anything in the metal genre i like... so far in 30 years i cant honestly say i do not like 1 single metal song. ive actually found 1 christian artist song i have liked and im a very non-religious person
    Can you, however, say that you've heard something from every single genre or subgenre of metal? I seriously doubt it. I'm a massive metalhead and there are plenty of subgenres I've never heard anything from.

Amazing sig, done by mighty Lokann

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Venziir View Post
    Can you, however, say that you've heard something from every single genre or subgenre of metal? I seriously doubt it. I'm a massive metalhead and there are plenty of subgenres I've never heard anything from.
    who knows, it all sounds the same to me

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Biggayshammy View Post
    who knows, it all sounds the same to me
    See, this indicates to me that you haven't listened to much metal. I'm not saying do so but it definitely does not all sound the same.

I dont like Psy, and i dont like screaming metal... However i do really enjoy ozzy osbourne, zakk wylde, Pantera etc, but they are mainstream, i havnt heard much else

Cant you Pop and Metal fans just get along?
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kspPE9E1yGM
    Last edited by Grath; 2012-10-22 at 08:30 AM.