Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst
LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Utsusemi View Post
    -Senjuinrikio (Maguuma)
    Hey my server Darkhaven is killing yours in wvw right now.

15+ Year Old Account
    I love it, also love the constant changes being added to keep the game feeling fresh and new. Population and players don't really matter to me, things tend to be more fun, the few people you got. Shatterer dieing in less than a minute isnt as fun as a few people trying to take him out and taking more than 6 minutes.

I've played only Ultima Online, WoW, Rift and SWTOR. I'd say this is the first one I've had the same sense of fun and wonder since WoW Burning Crusade. Maybe I'm so happy that GW2 isn't a WoW clone like Rift or SWTOR that I'm overrating it but I don't care. It's a very good game and easily worth the $60 box price.

Deleted
    The worst game I have ever played. First I had problems installing it for about 10 hours because I had to enable every port in my computer and shut down firewall etc.. Haven't had that problem ever with any game. When I finally got inside, game was so boring that I played it to 9lvl and then quit. Stupid combat mechanics and boring as hell..

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Rekthar91 View Post
    The worst game I have ever played. First I had problems installing it for about 10 hours because I had to enable every port in my computer and shut down firewall etc.. Haven't had that problem ever with any game. When I finally got inside, game was so boring that I played it to 9lvl and then quit. Stupid combat mechanics and boring as hell..
    LOL... the first issue is just yours, never had any problem installing the game AT ALL, neither did my friends.
    The combat mechanics feels a bit more free than the usual hotkey mmo, explain me please how are they boring and stupid... since stupidness is not an atribute of a thing. A chocolate bar can't be stupid, a game can't be stupid, it doesn't have any reasoning whatsoever.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by barackopala View Post
    LOL... the first issue is just yours, never had any problem installing the game AT ALL, neither did my friends.
    The combat mechanics feels a bit more free than the usual hotkey mmo, explain me please how are they boring and stupid... since stupidness is not an atribute of a thing. A chocolate bar can't be stupid, a game can't be stupid, it doesn't have any reasoning whatsoever.
    I wouldn't even take it seriously. Any person that plays an MMO and doesn't even get halfway to max level can't be taking seriously as a judgement on the game itself, because they've only scratched the surface of what the game has to offer.

10+ Year Old Account
    I am glad that GW2 is doing well and people are enjoying it. That being said, I stopped enjoying it about 2 weeks ago, and haven't logged in for about a week. Please don't ban for such slanderous words though. ; )

GW2 does a lot of things right. The horizontal progression in sPvP is excellent. The fact that anyone can walk in at any time and be able to compete without "grinding" for gear is a much needed feature in MMORPG PvP systems. Cosmetic upgrades are more than enough incentive. I had so much fun in sPvP that basically that's all I played for the first 2 weeks. I started playing less after that and eventually just stopped. The downfall of my enjoyment was the Downed State mechanics (discussion about this topic is in another thread), the lack of map objective variety, and the promotion of the "zerg" mentality via downed state and Glory gains (you gain much more Glory by roaming with a Zerg than defending nodes or even winning).

Then I entered PvE. I started to get annoyed of it, but realized that was mainly because leveling a Mesmer was not for me. I switched to Ranger and had a blast for ~60 levels. My character sits currently at level 64 with 55% map completion, and I just can't bring myself to even get him to 80. A single Dungeon run was the nail in the coffin, as I had an absolute abyssmal time, partially due to group competency and partially due to a terribly uninspired dungeon design (AC).

Normally I would still continue with a game, even with certain flaws that affected my gameplay experience if the story is good enough. However, I was also very let down by GW2's story. I could very well be spoiled by SWTOR's superior storytelling and character-centric narratives, but I really disliked how the Sylvari guy became the center of the story. The personal story was also nothing to write home about, but that is just my opinion of course. But while I don't think GW2's story is very strong, I do feel the Lore of the world is. The best comparison I can make is to Reckoning: Kingdom of Amalur. That game had a shit story, but it had lore oozing from every pixel. I feel GW2 is similar in a lot of ways.

Now, with all that being said (and other complaints unsaid), I refuse to call GW2 a bad game. It has done what this industry has needed for a long time, it has shaken things up by changing some things that needed changing. It has some AMAZING scenary and design, and I have marveled atop many a Vista at the landscape in this world. I really liked the crafting system and they way they let you discover new recipes by experimentation. The action combat is a step in the right direction, but I would like to see them take it a step further. Some people praise the lack of a "trinity", but I have to say that I actually prefer a "trinity", but maybe not as strict as is in most games.

I'll finish by citing my favorite experience in GW2. During one of the early Story missions when you go to the Summit to meet with representatives of all the races there are some children playing on the steps. They are deciding who they want to pretend to be and they begin arguing like the adults are, and eventually they just decide to play something else. I found it cute and relevant, and one of the many pieces of culture I loved within the game.

Now please don't ban me. =)

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by WarpedAcorn View Post
    I am glad that GW2 is doing well and people are enjoying it. That being said, I stopped enjoying it about 2 weeks ago, and haven't logged in for about a week. Please don't ban for such slanderous words though. ; )

GW2 does a lot of things right. The horizontal progression in sPvP is excellent. The fact that anyone can walk in at any time and be able to compete without "grinding" for gear is a much needed feature in MMORPG PvP systems. Cosmetic upgrades are more than enough incentive. I had so much fun in sPvP that basically that's all I played for the first 2 weeks. I started playing less after that and eventually just stopped. The downfall of my enjoyment was the Downed State mechanics (discussion about this topic is in another thread), the lack of map objective variety, and the promotion of the "zerg" mentality via downed state and Glory gains (you gain much more Glory by roaming with a Zerg than defending nodes or even winning).

Then I entered PvE. I started to get annoyed of it, but realized that was mainly because leveling a Mesmer was not for me. I switched to Ranger and had a blast for ~60 levels. My character sits currently at level 64 with 55% map completion, and I just can't bring myself to even get him to 80. A single Dungeon run was the nail in the coffin, as I had an absolute abyssmal time, partially due to group competency and partially due to a terribly uninspired dungeon design (AC).

Normally I would still continue with a game, even with certain flaws that affected my gameplay experience if the story is good enough. However, I was also very let down by GW2's story. I could very well be spoiled by SWTOR's superior storytelling and character-centric narratives, but I really disliked how the Sylvari guy became the center of the story. The personal story was also nothing to write home about, but that is just my opinion of course. But while I don't think GW2's story is very strong, I do feel the Lore of the world is. The best comparison I can make is to Reckoning: Kingdom of Amalur. That game had a shit story, but it had lore oozing from every pixel. I feel GW2 is similar in a lot of ways.

Now, with all that being said (and other complaints unsaid), I refuse to call GW2 a bad game. It has done what this industry has needed for a long time, it has shaken things up by changing some things that needed changing. It has some AMAZING scenary and design, and I have marveled atop many a Vista at the landscape in this world. I really liked the crafting system and they way they let you discover new recipes by experimentation. The action combat is a step in the right direction, but I would like to see them take it a step further. Some people praise the lack of a "trinity", but I have to say that I actually prefer a "trinity", but maybe not as strict as is in most games.

I'll finish by citing my favorite experience in GW2. During one of the early Story missions when you go to the Summit to meet with representatives of all the races there are some children playing on the steps. They are deciding who they want to pretend to be and they begin arguing like the adults are, and eventually they just decide to play something else. I found it cute and relevant, and one of the many pieces of culture I loved within the game.

Now please don't ban me. =)
    how can one not like this game !
    i vote for a BAN woohoo !
    Warrior, getting my face smashed in because I love it

"The Perfect Raid Design Drawn by me .

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Magpai View Post
    I agree it's probably the same or conceptually similar reasons. My question is, what is it?
    The need for other people to know your opinion. Also, I like when people post positive things about anything because it's just nice to hear after so much shit.

I got bored with it pretty quick, but that's not to say it's a bad game. There's a lot of things I liked about its design as well, it just didn't hook me.

The personal story quest was actually the biggest hook for me, but I didn't like some of the awkward stopping points from a storytelling perspective. Ending the personal quest with "we need to investigate further. We'll contact you when we know something" makes sense. I wanted to know what they found and eagerly leveled to get there. Then I had one that was basically "he's on his way to Storm's Reach to kill the queen and the undead could overrun the city! We must stop him immediately!" To which my response was to leave not only the city, but also the kingdom to go do menial tasks to level up. I wanted to continue the story, but it was an awkward place to have a stop to me.

The beauty I find in GW2, however, is that it is indeed F2P so it doesn't compete with, for me, WoW for my subscription dollars. This means that while I may be finding the story in WoW's current expansion more engaging than the one I was exploring in GW2 (and to be clear, I have many more stories to explore in GW2 as I'm working on one race atm), I feel no pressure to HAVE to devote time to only one or the other. WoW WILL have lulls where I'm "caught up" on what I want to do. And when that happens, GW2 will be there, arms open and happy to offer me more stories to experience.

There are things in GW2 that will quite likely become standard expectation for future MMOs, sub or F2P. The dye system is nice, the carrot of comsetic rewards is good, the crafting mats storage is convenient and well thought out. The only thing that personally jumped out of the screen and slapped me with "THIS IS AWESOME" was the implementation of platforming puzzles for vistas in an MMO! Are there other awesome things? Oh yes, but did I experience them? Not really....I was hunting down vistas, dag nabbit!

GW2 and MoP both suffer from a similar problem future MMOs should avoid. Restricting my dodge(GW2) or roll (MoP). To hell with balance and combat and whether or not it's game breaking. I want to be able to jump and dodge and flip and roll all over just because it's fun

10+ Year Old Account
    I wish AN would have hired someone of the same caliber as the great SF writer guy who wrote the story quests for SWTOR.
    For me, the persoal story and the NPCs that you interact with are pretty lackluster.

Still, it`s a very good game so far, for me.

I agree totally with the OP.

I started playing shortly after launch and I'm still only lvl 63. It's because I get so distracted by scenery, exploring, or reading books, or epitaphs on the gravestones, information on statues. Haven't been in a dungeon or tried WvW, got all the jumping puzzles to look forward to as well.

Quote Originally Posted by BenBos View Post
    I think that Xfire players disagree :

http://www.xfire.com/games/gw2/Guild_Wars_2/
    Every single server at Full or High during prime time every night disagrees with you.

Quote Originally Posted by BenBos View Post
    I think that Xfire players disagree :

http://www.xfire.com/games/gw2/Guild_Wars_2/
    What the heck is xfire?

Back on topic: I 100% agree OP, the game is great and I'm seriously sat at work right now watching the clock wanting to get home and log in . I have myself a level 80 Mesmer almost fully kitted out in the CoF set along with a 62 Guardian and no sign of me getting bored with it anytime soon!

Quote Originally Posted by ScottsdaleHokie View Post
    Every single server at Full or High during prime time every night disagrees with you.
    Quote Originally Posted by Lukazor View Post
    What the heck is xfire?
    Realize you are responding to an old post by a user banned for deliberate trolling.

Gave this game a try, now I got to lvl 32 and find myself bored. I dont know it's not addictive and it's not that fun, sure the graphic and art is great, I am just not into the game I guess.

Quote Originally Posted by Bovinity Divinity View Post
    I thought "The Entire Game is Endgame"?
    It is.. tbh it took me one completed character to actually realise this. I'm playing my warrior much differently with a different mindset while levelling and enjoying myself a lot more. First time around I was "chasing the carrot" which actually hampered my enjoyment of the process.

Quote Originally Posted by Magpai View Post
    Every additional paragraph on a post like this makes me think the person is just that more desperate to rationalize their choice. My honest question is: why? Why the need to post threads like this? Not trying to take a jab at anyone, I"m honestly curious.
    Maybe he's getting payed for it? With signature below "article" and all?

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by willowe View Post
    it's funny, i'm subbed to rift atm. I keep going back to rift desperately wanting to love it, to get back into telara the way i was 2 months ago. I keep telling myself 'storm legion is gonna rule....'

but i keep logging into rift, sitting in a city (sanctum) for about 30 mins with that feeling of "what do i feel like doing?!" then logging back into gw2. I seriously want to love rift, but i can't. It's not like when i left wow (for rift) and every bone in my body wanted off of that game - i want to like rift, still. Heck, i'm subbed to it until april 5th, 2014. Yes, 2014.

But since gw2 launched, something about rift and me don't click. Like i know gw2 has flaws, but it's the best mmo on the market, to me. Heck, i'm still standing by something i told one of my irl friends ~6 weeks ago that ended up causing a huge fight, gw2 has been the most consistently enjoyable gaming experience i've ever had. Portal 2 may have been 7(ish) hours of fun, but the 250+ hours i've played in tyria, and enjoyed (mostly) every minute of it (i still hate you kessex hills jumping puzzle), make it the best video game i've ever played.
    2014? Wtf :d

Probably a year long sub