Refusal to roleplay death...

Even though I do not roleplay in Warcraft, I find this question interesting enough to ask on other forums.

We all know great stories and books like Game of Thrones etc. where the deaths of characters create very interesting social shifts. Yet I find that in many RP genres many people are unable to accept the death of their characters.

1. Why do you think this is?
    2. Are people too emotionally attached or invested into their RP characters?
    3. Do you think that the refusal to accept death causes stagnation or storylines to turn stale?
    4. Up to what level do you accept "bad" things happening to your character?
    5. Is it important for you to be able to reverse or undo the bad things that might've happened to your character?
    ♦ "It is easy to take insolence from those who are below you." ♦

1. Attachment. People tend to put themselves in a character, and some roleplayers even make their character an alter-ego of themselves. That's bad. It makes you blend OOC with IC, which only leads to trouble.

2. YES. Also, the desire of always winning.

3. Not necessarily. I feel a storyline that can only end in death is a poor one. Truth be told, many refuse to die. But even more cannot settle a conflict without killing. What's wrong with a good smack and a name and shame instead?

4. Depends on the emotes. '' John casts a fireball '' is something that I'd never let kill me. I'm very picky on combat emotes, and poor ones won't be taken seriously.

5. I believe so, yeah. As long as it's not a cut off limb, you should be able to do something. Depression, for example. You should be able to get out of it.
    Quote Originally Posted by Mooneye View Post
    Why would it be wrong to kill a human being?
    Quote Originally Posted by fanjodaman View Post
    You have a tiny brain. There's you're insult.
    Pateu's postulate: '' As an online discussion about RPGs or sci fi grows longer, the probability of a comparison or bashing involving Mass Effect 3 approaches 1. ''

Quote Originally Posted by Anarchor View Post
    Even though I do not roleplay in Warcraft, I find this question interesting enough to ask on other forums.

We all know great stories and books like Game of Thrones etc. where the deaths of characters create very interesting social shifts. Yet I find that in many RP genres many people are unable to accept the death of their characters.

3. Do you think that the refusal to accept death causes stagnation or storylines to turn stale?
    5. Is it important for you to be able to reverse or undo the bad things that might've happened to your character?
    Definitely number 2.
    People put a lot of time and commitment into their characters to just kill them off.

There is a Documentary film called Dungeon Masters. One of the GMs it followed killed off all his players characters after a 7 (Yes seven) year story arch. I think it tore a rift in the group and friendships ended.

Quote Originally Posted by pateuvasiliu View Post
    3. Not necessarily. I feel a storyline that can only end in death is a poor one. Truth be told, many refuse to die. But even more cannot settle a conflict without killing. What's wrong with a good smack and a name and shame instead?
    For me this is a bit different. I RP in a genre where death and violence are some of the central pillars of the 30+ books that have been written on the lore of that world.
    There a smack and a name and shame is the most commonly applied alternative, in contrast with the books were death and slavery were the more common options instead for the people who ended up below someone's boot.
    ♦ "It is easy to take insolence from those who are below you." ♦

I've had plenty of roleplaying characters die throughout the time. I've had characters get r***d and commit suicide, all sorts of strange things depending on whats been going on. I've said that if it makes logical sense for my character to die, my character will die. However, its not like I'll kill off a character I've spent a lot of time and effort on, to someone casting a random fireball.

If my character engages in combat with three enemies at once however, and they're roleplaying it well, I do consider having my character die a decent end. Likewise though, if I get randomly assaulted by three people lol'rping its more likely I'll make some form of escape. A good example of this was an RP I had, where a random stranger walks up, pulls out a shotgun and unloads at my characters face. Thats not a way I'd let my character die, ever. If people want to assassinate me, thats all good and fine, but I want to see reasons and a planned assassination. Then I'm all for having my character struck in the back.

There are several factors to why people don't want to kill off their characters. For one, an attachment to their character... It's not about their character being a representation of the player, that's a very base, crude way of explaining it that only BARELY scratches what "attachment' actually means. I have an attachment to my characters, but it is because I put effort forth in creating them, not because they are mirrors of me within the Warcraft universe. That doesn't mean I can't kill them off, but it is certainly something that could hinder others.

As well, people sometimes won't kill off their characters due to the medium. Would you like to effectively delete a character that you just hit level 90 with?

And then there's also the fact that in an MMO, if you kill off a character, you sever ALL of those social ties that character made, which also means, you have to leave the guild you're in (if you are in one), unless you have multiple characters. Combine this with the previous statement and you get a MASSIVE impractical drawback to being able to take drama a step further. Killing off your character is really only practical in smaller communities.

Warchief
    Attachment. I have never permanently killed a character I've played for any length of time. Any of my 'significant' characters I've ever made that I no longer play never died, I simply stopped playing them. I'm not the only person like this. I do grow attached to my characters. You're unlikely to ever see me permakill Noxvari; I've played her for close to four years. She has changed a LOT over those four years, but one does not keep a character for four years and not grow attached.

Yes.

No.

It depends on the character. Some characters I'm okay with completely mutilating and changing forever. Some I'd rather not. Nox was not always an undead blood elf death knight. When I first started playing her, she was a very, very alive blood elf rogue.. Most of that change was not played out (written short story to myself which got deleted, it's still in my head) but it would have been fun to do.

Not necessarily. I won't ever agree to something happening in an RP that I won't be fine with playing later on. If I agree to have one of my characters brainwashed/mutilated/whatever, it's not going to get undone. If I do NOT agree to that, A) it's not happening, B) it's not going to ever be acknowledged in the future. My consent is absolutely critical.

EDIT: I should probably clarify that this applies to ANY genre of RP. I do not RP ingame so I don't know or care what is 'normal' or what people commonly do ingame. When I talk about RPing as a whole I'm referring to forum-based or one-on-one PMs or whatever.
    Last edited by Synaxis; 2012-10-20 at 10:11 PM.

It also depends on the nature of the game. If it's strongly character-based, then you'd want to be judicious about character death (and also have it be permanent so as to remain meaningful). In other cases, however, it's not really a big deal and just means you have to roll up another character sheet. If you're playing something like Call of Cthulhu or Paranoia (or Dark Heresy, if it's being played straight), death's practically expected.