Question Getting locked out alot as a Frost DK. What's the deal?

I'm raiding as 2 handed frost this expansion and i'm finding myself running out of both runic power and runes very fast to the point where i'm auto attacking the boss for about 2-3 secs before I can use any of my specials again. Anyone else having this problem. Some players have told me I should be reforging into haste as 2 handed but wanted to get some opinions on here.

Every dps spec that cares about its resource system will be like this at low levels of gear.

More haste will give you more to do.

As far as i know i think haste is your primary after str and hit/exp cap

How you are locked out is how it was for my rogue in entry heroics. Now with more haste from gear the problem is almost gone
    Same should happen for you when you get more haste

Quote Originally Posted by mmowin View Post
    I'm raiding as 2 handed frost this expansion and i'm finding myself running out of both runic power and runes very fast to the point where i'm auto attacking the boss for about 2-3 secs before I can use any of my specials again. Anyone else having this problem. Some players have told me I should be reforging into haste as 2 handed but wanted to get some opinions on here.
    Oddly, I was thinking about posting the same thing, since I got my DK leveled and running Dungeons and LFR. I have gaps of 2-4 secs where I'm just standing there. I was trying to figure out what I was doing wrong. Though overall, my DPS is fine, It is weird to just run out. Compared to my Warrior in which, if I run out of rage it means I went a little too aggressive on the rotation.

2-3 secs lockout is pretty standard for frost, any longer then it would be a problem.

The issue tends to stem from the over abuse of Obl and one not watching their rune CD's, this is a rather easy problem to fall into, even more so in this tier of raiding where everyone is "under geared". Spending so much time watching the boss, movement and positions, it's easy to "mash" our keys when frost pops up our glowing slots!

Though, as it has been stated haste is the shortest if not most efficient way to help this, reach your caps and then go for haste. I'm not sure what our ideal haste levels are at this point, but I'm sure if you dig around you'll find it posted on some theory craft some place, if not already posted here.

Just keep an eye on your runes, you don't want to burn everything you have on pure Obl spam. We need our runes for diseases if they drop, soul reaper during burn phase and so on. I have found that if you can manage to use plague leech or blood tap effectively, that can help you during a "lock out phase". Try toying around with these options and see what "Feels" best for you.

Also, don't forget to use your horn, that's free rune power there that can at least grant you a frost strike, if nothing more.

10+ Year Old Account
    2 Handed frost has always been "slower" and had more "gaps" where you are waiting on resources.

Duel Wield will feel a lot less stop and go, but will pull slightly lower single target dps (as well as slightly higher aoe dps). However the rotation, stat priority, and gemming/enchants for DW is very differant from 2H, also, the rotation is fairly specific and if you mess it up, your dps crashes.

As far as 2H frost goes. Stack as much Haste as possible. Thru gear and reforging. Haste > Crit > Mastery.

If the fight is a short fight, save Empowered Rune Weapon for times when you see your runes/runic power very low, and/or when you lust. Always try and burn all of your runic power and runes before using ERW. However if the fight is longer then 5 minutes you want to pop CD's, burn all of your runes/runic power early, and then use ERW soon after, so that it's up again for the end of the fight and you get two uses out of it.

As Wayward stated, use of plague leech (when used correctly) is a dps gain because it will help allow you to have less "dead spots" in your rotation since it gives you a death rune. Just make sure not to clip your blood plague too early. You want to use it when there is only 1 second remaining on blood plague because then you're not wasting a global cooldown to re-apply your disease. (If you use it at 1 second, you would have already been about to use a GCD to re-apply, which is why this is the optimal time to use plague leech)

If there are adds on boss fights, make sure you try and hit the add with a Soul Reaper right before it dies, so that you gain the 5 seconds of 50% haste that it gives you. This will actually help even if you are moving to another target and it drops off before you get there, because the 50% haste increases your rune regen and you'll have more runes available when you get to the second target. So even if you don't gain auto attacks from the increased haste, you will gain more resources.

idk if that helps. But I'm bored so just my 2 cents =]

10+ Year Old Account
    Are you dpsing in frost presence? Don't be afraid to sit on your Killing Machine procs (unless the time is something ridiculous like 5 seconds). While it was true waiting was generally bad, Obliterate hits so much harder than Frost Strike that it's probably correct to sit on the proc. Space out your Frost Strikes instead of spamming them, this will help avoid wasting KM procs on it. Also, are you using Plague Leech? (and if so, are you using it correctly). Is your priority correct? Are you hit/exp capped?

Also, using ERW during lust isn't something I'd recommend. you're often gcd capped anyways, and shouldn't have problems having things to do during lust. I generally use it during my 2nd pillar/ghoul or 2 nd pot if lust was cast at the start (and there isn't time for another lust)

I'm noticing this too but I think it's a combination of me spamming the living shit out of Oblit/FS and having like no haste at all. Refraining from spending all my resources should be easy... my main is a fury warrior, I can do it!