Page 1 of 2
LastLast

Ret Paladin vs Arms Warrior

Just want to open a discussion on how to beat a warrior, you can just write down all ability encounters and both classes are equally equipped.

EX.
    Warrior : charge > MS/HS
    Paladin : HOJ > CS ....etc

There isn't really a set skill rotation you want to follow in a pvp scenario. Ideally you want to follow the pve dps priority when you can, but you'll need to kite or use globals/holy power for healing and hands.

If a warrior doesn't pop his Swifty one-shot macro as soon as he charges you, you want to prolong dropping your cds until he's closer to 50% hp. You'll need cds to bring them to dead with how stupid second wind is right now. If he does blow his load right at the beginning, you'll need to blow Holy Avenger and Avenging Wrath just to heal through the damage if you can't stun/kite him. Use Fist of Justice as often as you can, trying to get him to blow his trinket on it early in the fight and then using it again when he pops recklessness or when he uses Die by the Sword (stunning him makes it so he can't parry). Swap to his skull banner to kill it when he drops it, and try to bubble when he uses Recklessness and you know you can't kite the damage. Yes he'll just pop it, but while he's trying to he's losing time on Recklessness.

Good luck, any decent warrior will just do the same and kite/disarm/stun/shield wall our cooldowns, and if you don't kill him while yours are still up, its incredibly difficult to kill a warrior with second wind.
    Last edited by mmmmmmmBacon; 2012-10-21 at 08:35 AM.

Hi mjskills!

If you face melee often, perhaps Glyph of Divine Protection could help? A 60% reduction in physical damage for 10 seconds must be a good thing. Unless Arms Warrior hi-jinx includes a lot of spell damage?

BR/ Martinbella

Quote Originally Posted by Martinbella View Post
    Hi mjskills!

If you face melee often, perhaps Glyph of Divine Protection could help? A 60% reduction in physical damage for 10 seconds must be a good thing. Unless Arms Warrior hi-jinx includes a lot of spell damage?

BR/ Martinbella
    Does not give you 60% physical damage reduction, the glyph makes it so the ability is like it was in Cata: 20% magic and 20% physical reduction.

That and in a pvp scenario you don't want that glyph, because of mages and warlocks.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by mmmmmmmBacon View Post
    Does not give you 60% physical damage reduction, the glyph makes it so the ability is like it was in Cata: 20% magic and 20% physical reduction.

That and in a pvp scenario you don't want that glyph, because of mages and warlocks.
    Absolutely right . I prefer dealing with melee target with a rather big bit of kiting and the spellcasters often kite me too much (dat fear fiend) so i have to use defensive against them . Plus magic damage seriously hurts more than melee most of the time (a mage killed me with a series of 44k icelance crits and 55 k frostfire ones)
    I come across a quiet river, that wonders through the trees.
    I stare into its running waters and fall unto my knees.
    In resignation to the forest, that's held me for so long.
    I close my eyes and drift away into nature's evensong.

Deleted
    The problem in not taking the glyph is that most spellcasters, that Divine Protection protects you from, can easily dispell or spellsteal it, while most classes that deal physical damage cannot.

Quote Originally Posted by Tyrasibion View Post
    The problem in not taking the glyph is that most spellcasters, that Divine Protection protects you from, can easily dispell or spellsteal it, while most classes that deal physical damage cannot.
    Divine Protection is not dispellable, period.

http://www.wowdb.com/spells/498-divine-protection

the thing with mindlessly listing abilities used in encounters is that every encounter is different, depending on terrain, the spec of both, the play style of both and the way both have geared. now equal gearing is that i suppose they all have full malevolent in all slots. but gem preferences are always going to change

for instance i tend to kite a lot when playing ret, i take advantage of my ability to deal damage from range and my mobility. i spend a lot of time dancing in and out of max range. i have a friend who tends to play very tanky and spends a lot more time playing in his opponent's face. we are both equally skilled players, but we play different comps with different people and developed different ways of playing ret, have different specs and different gems as a result.

i DO tend to have a lot of success killing warriors 1v1 by kiting and saving my HoJ and burst for second wind. i don't think i can tank a warrior's damage or risk being in their range when they shockwave or risk getting blanket silenced with their burst the way it is right now.
    Last edited by kosechi; 2012-10-21 at 05:43 PM.
    " I need a sec, my wrists hurt from spamming slam so hard. Playing cleave vs cleave is tough stuff guys"

Quote Originally Posted by mmmmmmmBacon View Post

Thank you for the correction. Misread the tool-tip. I agree, 40% spell damage reduction is more useful in PVP.

Burden of Guilt is amazing against warriors. You can still kite their dead zone and try to ride out cooldowns. Remember that ultimately time and range are on your side and the longer the fight goes the less warriors are going to be able to throw at you. Once you get them low, and really I think this is where the problem with warriors is, you absolutely can not heal yourself. You can't out heal second wind which means you need to be able to kill them within 3-4 gcds as soon as they hit 30%. Also remember that they have execute which WILL one shot you. Essentially you'll need to be at or near max health when you want to go for a kill because they have 20% extra health and you have 20% less.
    Divine, Unmarred and Electrified
    http://us.battle.net/wow/en/characte.../Demaio/simple
    Retired(ish)

Quote Originally Posted by DemaioJ View Post
    Burden of Guilt is amazing against warriors. You can still kite their dead zone and try to ride out cooldowns. Remember that ultimately time and range are on your side and the longer the fight goes the less warriors are going to be able to throw at you. Once you get them low, and really I think this is where the problem with warriors is, you absolutely can not heal yourself. You can't out heal second wind which means you need to be able to kill them within 3-4 gcds as soon as they hit 30%. Also remember that they have execute which WILL one shot you. Essentially you'll need to be at or near max health when you want to go for a kill because they have 20% extra health and you have 20% less.
    Generally this, You need to spec burden of guilt and kite around in his dead zone, Avatar can be rough, bubble and get away if you can, Selfless healer to insta cast FoL every 3rd judgement to keep yourself up and Glyph of WoG to dps him down while keeping your distance. Try get him to blow his trinket. So once he hits 30% drop EVERYTHING, You'll never dps through nubwind without CDs.

Dont let yourself get low hps or he will keep you silenced/stunned and shut down with the 75,023,343 silences they have, and DONT get in execute range or its gg. Trick is to slowly outlast them and don't get close.

Quote Originally Posted by Vathius View Post
    Selfless healer to insta cast FoL every 3rd judgement to keep yourself up and Glyph of WoG to dps him down while keeping your distance.
    Selfless healer to keep yourself up ?

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Xo0 View Post
    Selfless healer to keep yourself up ?
    If you're kiting and DPS'ing with Harsh words,then yes.

Quote Originally Posted by Elapo View Post
    If you're kiting and DPS'ing with Harsh words,then yes.
    You're kind of delusional thinking that selfless healer will save you against a warrior's damage. It'll help, sure, but you're going to have to win the fight by putting them down, not by outlasting them, and put out some serious healing with word of glory if you can't find other ways to soften how much damage they put out with their cooldowns.

so literally we are dancing chickens against warrior , sigh kiting a melee , kiting casters no real melee range for paladins

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Matrlx View Post
    so literally we are dancing chickens against warrior , sigh kiting a melee , kiting casters no real melee range for paladins
    Just kite the sucker when his cd's are up. I have no problem with warriors so long as they are snared and abilities are on cool down... Then again i have fought some atrocious warriors

Ret is damn squishy... There is nothing really that saves your ass. Except for bubble.. But I hate this spell. It's way too fucked up for Rets, cd is way too long and it can be destroyed by, for example, warriors. Sacred Shield helps a bit but not, if the situation is severe. You need to wog yourself with every HoPo you have to survive a bit. I noticed putting execution sentence on yourself is quite okay.. The 10% dmg reduction after TV are also not very helpful.

DKs and Warriors have defensive CDs. Ret has none really.. Divine protection can't even be used when cc'd, making it difficult to react accordingly if the switch to the ret happens with a stun or silence. If you don't bubble or trinket, you just drop down with almost no chance of really getting back up again.

Ret is really a bullshit class right now.. Not melee, not range.. Something in between.

Only during all cds ret is strong and can last quite a while. But without cds ret is nothing but a victim.

And then there is this inq mechanic that even has gotten more annoying than ever.. 30 seconds is way too little and the glyph is bullshit, bullshit, bullshit.

Ret's gameplay is really messed up and it's not really fun to run around like a coward. If I liked coward gameplay, I'd play a mage.
    Last edited by JayJay09; 2012-10-22 at 10:38 AM.

Ret's gameplay is really messed up and it's not really fun to run around like a coward. If I liked coward gameplay, I'd play a mage. <---- i feel ya m8

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Esfandiyar View Post
    Just kite the sucker when his cd's are up. I have no problem with warriors so long as they are snared and abilities are on cool down... Then again i have fought some atrocious warriors
    Only just started playing Arena again so i was wondering, would the Seal that slows (can't remember the name) be effective when coming up against a warrior or would Truty be better for the damage output?

burden of guilt is a talent , better against warriors , cast judgement , he will charge , kite , cast judgement again and exco , and kite , kite glyph WoG and again same thing , u can use Es , or Holy prism ( i prefere holy prism , better for survivability ) Es also good , forgot to say that u need to have Inquisition up