Page 1 of 2
LastLast
    Deleted

What do you think of gypsies?

What do you think of gypsies? Why? Do you love them? Hate them? Why?

And bonus question:
    Why do you think people from Europe hate gypsies more then other continents?

I am hoping for some constructive talks here please, not bashing on eachother.

Deleted
    Every experience I have had with them has been negative, I dont trust any of them due to their moral codes which state that its ok to cheat and steal from outsiders.

10+ Year Old Account
    Indifferent. They're people just like everyone else. How they choose to live their lives is of no consequence to me.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Arnorei View Post
    What do you think of gypsies? Why? Do you love them? Hate them? Why?

And bonus question:
    Why do you think people from Europe hate gypsies more then other continents?

I am hoping for some constructive talks here please, not bashing on eachother.
    Very few Gypsies live in America thats why, its easy to claim they are not a nuisance if you have few dealings with them.

I haven't seen anything good from a gypsy in my entire life.

Deleted
    I'm not that fond of the Irish travellers we have around here. I worked in a petrol station up until recently, and that's all they done was fill up, come into the shop, steal and then drive off without paying for anything. When you confronted them about it they'd threaten you and if you refused outright to let them into the shop or to fill up they'd get angry and threatening to the point where we had to phone the police numerous times. I've never met any Romani or anything though so can't pass judgement on them.

I find them fascinating. I spend a few hours reading all about the "Romani" people on wikipedia lol. There were two girls and a boy at my schools growing up that had Romani parents (small Greek island where many of them managed to permanently and illegally start living there).

Deleted
    They eat hedgehogs and anyone eating hedgehogs usually means trouble.

Deleted
    I think they're scum. Aggressive, insular, violent, criminal thugs - the lot of them. It's no surprise that wherever they go, crime goes with it. They have a strict code that applies to themselves, and themselves alone but sadly this doesn't seem to extend to anyone else. They threaten children in parks with knives, petrol bomb pubs, smash cars up, break into houses - oh and they'll sneak into a house and beat a little boy's mum to death with a baseball bat in her bed whilst he hid in his cot at 2am. I couldn't care less about their alcohol fuelled bare-knuckle fights or "grabbing" either...

Deleted
    Anyone interested in learning about Gypsy culture needs to watch this TV series...

http://www.channel4.com/programmes/m...-gypsy-wedding

Its hard not to hate them after watching it.

Deleted
    I don't hate them, to be honest, I don't care about them, they are just like everyone else.

My mom always says not to befriend gypsies because they don't live in our society and they will do evil things to you, it's BS in my opinion.

I can't really understand why they are hated or anything like that. :/

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Majad View Post
    I don't hate them, to be honest, I don't care about them, they are just like everyone else.

My mom always says not to befriend gypsies because they don't live in our society and they will do evil things to you, it's BS in my opinion.

Naive or just young?

10+ Year Old Account
    We've had this exact thread a few times already, let me tell you what's going to happen:

1. Europeans tell their stories about the gypsy "scum" (basically no one has anything good to say about them, at all)
    2. Americans who have never had any dealing with gypsies blame Europeans for being rascist.
    3. Things escalate, flamewar starts.
    4. Moderator locks thread.

10+ Year Old Account
    I'm impartial. While I recognize that some feel there is good reason to dislike them, and to appreciate their culture, even coming from the most "European" city in Russia I just haven't been exposed to them enough to establish an informed opinion.

Although, having my favorite song in the world inspired by them does give them a pretty strong plus.... http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0bWqIhxkh8g /swoon

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by RICH1471 View Post
    Anyone interested in learning about Gypsy culture needs to watch this TV series...

http://www.channel4.com/programmes/m...-gypsy-wedding

Its hard not to hate them after watching it.
    Honestly I'd have expected more from you.

There are bad gypsies and good. The bad get on the news, on TV shows and are more noticeable.

The good are as noticeable as anyone else walking down a street, they mind their own business.

Thread needs to be closed, nothing but hatred going on.

UK here,

Idk what to say really, going back 30 years my folks rand a small village pub had gypsies in every night for two weeks once, every night they came in with lots of small groups through out afternoon to late evening, they drank, they ate, they played games with the locals they paid they left, they had a running tab each night, that the "head" would pay off in cash, in full each night.

On the last night they were in town, they came in, made a hell of a mess of the place, just messy in general now, not fighting, had a smaller amount of food and drink, and fucked off without paying and left the village the following morning

Speed up to, 6 years ago, when I was the manager my folks coffe shop (at the time me and my cousin were alone in the shop), we heard that a massive group of gypsies were down on the beach front, a little bit later on 4 of them came in, they asked if we served beer, we said no, so they had a few teas and cakes etc, paid left, did this for about a week, then the next time 2 of the same group came in, my gran and cousin were in, they were cleary pissed from the night before, asked about beer again, they said no, had tea again, and about 2 mins later he was spewing all over the place, my cousin went furious, went over picked up the one spewing while the other was on the phone, threw the spewing one out, the other walked out trying to help him walk, but the spewing one was trying to get back in, this carried on for 5 mins. Then, a car pulled up, 3 men got out, my cousin said he thought trouble was going to happen because they were huge muscle wise, but they threw their spewing mate into the car, came into the shop, paid the bill and tipped and apologized!

So in some ways, their fine from my experience, but tend to be a pain in the arse towards the end of their visits from each village
    Desktop: Zotac 1080 TI, I7 7700k, 16gb Ram, 256gb SSD + 1TB HDD
    Laptop: Zotac 2070 MaxQ, I7 8750, 32gb RAM, 500gb SSD + 2TB SSD
    Main Game: Warcraft Classic

Haters gonna hate

Deleted
    I've never encountered gypsies.

This parody pretty much reflects what I felt about the Dale Farm situation last year.

http://www.thedailymash.co.uk/news/s...e-201110194436

So, would my middling views sum up "what europe thinks" in the same rather leading way your opening post does?

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Majad View Post

Read this Reddit thread I found to know why people hate them in Europe so much:
    http://www.reddit.com/r/AskReddit/co...psies_so_much/

The post of lamqta is very similar to the situation in my country, and this is why I dislike gypsies myself. Also, your mother is right.
    To add on it, because many gypsies are nomads, they also don't pay any taxes, but still reap the benefits because otherwise they're "discriminated".

10+ Year Old Account
    When they break law they should be punished, when they abide by the law, they should be left alone. If they do not want to educate and integrate into mainstream society, that is their choice, but they have to respect the law of the country they live in. If they do want to integrate they should receive social help as anyone else in the country.
    Mindless...

REAL gypsies are just thieves. the glorified "gypsies" that now have TV shows aren't gypsies, they're being called that based on where they're from, not how they lived their life

i don't like thieves.