Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst
... LastLast
    Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Ichy View Post
    DSL lines (replace x with what ever letter your isp gives- i've seen A/I/X to name 3 off the top of my head) were static lines when the service first appeared, as it just used "updated" phone lines to carry higher amounts of data traffic. It was similar to how phone lines worked- 1 phone number to 1 house, 1 dsl line (1 IP address) to 1 modem. At this time (and still today) DSL service providers used a user/name password system for logging in, which is how the modem confirmed that You and that IP belonged together.
    IP layer and the link layer are separate. How IP layer addresses are assigned is completely independent of the link layer. Most ISPs have always used dynamic addresses, but since these devices are "always on" the lease periods are long.

a simple test of ipconfig /release followed by ipconfig /renew in command prompt can show that its not "truely dynamic".
    In most cases your computer is in a private subnet and that would just talk to the DHCP server of the private network, which has nothing to do with your public IP. And in any case most DHCP servers handing out dynamic addresses would simply hand you the same one as before.

Quote Originally Posted by Cyanotical View Post
    fourth, stop using skype for wow
    Not going to disagree with you but I remember Lore from tankspot saying his guild switched from vent to mumble after doing some testing where they noticed vent had a delay. So I find it understandable for people doing high end pvp/pve not wanting to use vent. Never used skype myself so I can't comment on that ^^

I don't know where your information is coming from
    Cyanotical know his shit.

In Cyanotical we trust ^^
    | Intel i5-4670k | Asus Z87-Pro | Xigmatek Dark Knight | Kingston HyperX Fury White 16GB | Sapphire R9 270x | Crucial MX300 750GB | WD 500GB Black | WD 1TB Blue | Cooler Master Haf-X | Corsair AX1200 | Dell 2412m | Ducky Shine 3 | Logitech G13 | Sennheiser HD598 | Mionix Naos 8200 |

I don't have a degree or certifications.. Wouldn't put the $500 down for the Cisco certification test, but I did study it in high school and some college. I don't know where your information is coming from, but static IP's aren't normally upgrades - at least from my experience.

[x] DSL lines (replace x with what ever letter your isp gives- i've seen A/I/X to name 3 off the top of my head) were static lines when the service first appeared, as it just used "updated" phone lines to carry higher amounts of data traffic. It was similar to how phone lines worked- 1 phone number to 1 house, 1 dsl line (1 IP address) to 1 modem. At this time (and still today) DSL service providers used a user/name password system for logging in, which is how the modem confirmed that You and that IP belonged together.

At&t still follows all of that to this day- even with U-verse. You get login information, and the first time it all runs, you get a dynamically assigned IP, which becomes static. Now we get into a bit more gray technical area. If you are using the at&t service, it might appear that their systems are dynamic if you notice after x time your IP address changes, but a simple test of ipconfig /release followed by ipconfig /renew in command prompt can show that its not "truely dynamic". I did this on my system back when I was still used their service. Did it enough times to notice that in my area (on the edge of 2 counties in central Florida- so not a lot of people) my IP would vary between 3 address, however they wouldn't automatically renew unless the modem was restarted or I manually renewed my ip (ipconfig /release & /renew) because of the value entered for the renew cycle.

in my case the address where Dynamic Sticky IP address. Now if the OP is in one of 2 situations I can see him having a singular IP address- one he lives in a small town where the demand for High broad band is low, thus limiting the available address to that area, or in an extremely high population area, also limiting the IP address available.
    If your connection uses DHCP, you are using a dynamic IP. The only time you have a static IP is when you configure it yourself and are given that IP from the ISP. Just because DSL uses updated phone lines to carry data doesnt mean anything. Phone numbers and IP addresses are entirely different in that regard. Besides, you can always change your phone number if you call them and request a new number (much like you can change your IP address).

Quote Originally Posted by Bergtau View Post
    By the time I was done reading I forgot it was AT&T and assumed it was Comcast.

Seriously, Comcast told us that there was a problem with our router when we called because our cable was down. I don't mean just the internet, I mean the god damn cable TV as well. They still insisted that it was a problem on our end.
    You too? I also thought ... wow - comcast operates the same way.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by TheRabidDeer View Post
    If your connection uses DHCP, you are using a dynamic IP. The only time you have a static IP is when you configure it yourself and are given that IP from the ISP.
    That's the difference between automatic and manual configuration, not dynamic and static address. I use DHCP to configure the static addresses of a number of my servers, you simply set the DHCP server to give static IP addresses to interfaces with specific MAC addresses.

Quote Originally Posted by zeophor View Post
    That's the difference between automatic and manual configuration, not dynamic and static address. I use DHCP to configure the static addresses of a number of my servers, you simply set the DHCP server to give static IP addresses to interfaces with specific MAC addresses.
    You have control of the DHCP server though, do you think OP has control of the DHCP server or does his ISP?

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by TheRabidDeer View Post
    You have control of the DHCP server though, do you think OP has control of the DHCP server or does his ISP?
    I fail to see how that's relevant. Regardless of whether he has dynamic or static IP, he will be using DHCP (or rather his subscriber box will be).

you might want to read your first sentence back to yourself, because it's quite obvious that you just wasted the time of a few AT&T techs, you have a dynamic address, in the US you have to pay extra for static, so it would show up on your billing statement clear as day

second, people don't DDoS a wow game, nobody is willing to spend the rest of their life in jail over a pvp match, yes, i said rest of life, the amount of felonies you need to commit a single DDoS are enough that even with a reduced sentence, you are SoL

third, DDoS is very traceable, it's called a suicide attack in terms of hacking because there is almost no way to not get caught

fourth, stop using skype for wow
    You have very little to no knowledge on the high end wow pvp community. Ddos'ing is prominent and wide spread. Also learn about Spoofed dosing. Your knowledge of Us law is also lacking when people who hack into police databases receive 1-3 years in prison.If you think someone flooding another's kids internet for 1/2 an hour is going to them life you're delusional.
    http://houston.cbslocal.com/2012/08/...ing-texas-dps/
    Also if people don't ddos in the arena/rbg community "mostly rbg" why does Arena Junkies have a massive guide on how to stop it?
    http://www.arenajunkies.com/topic/22...nting-ddosing/
    I refer you back to my previous post to ask the mod Obelodalix. He will tell you what I've already stated.

Why not use a proper voice comms system like mumble or teamspeak, using which you can hide your IP address a lot easier? If some random guy gets on our TS (hosted by a guildie on a server box) they can't easily get IP Addresses because that access level is highly restricted (they would need to use a guild officer's unique client ID, which needs actual access to their computer).

After reading the article on AJ, it seems that Skype is the main issue. So why, in the name of all that is holy, do you still use Skype?
    Last edited by Butler to Baby Sloths; 2012-10-24 at 01:29 AM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by n1ck301 View Post
    You have very little to no knowledge on the high end wow pvp community.
    nobody really cares about that here,

Ddos'ing is prominent and wide spread. Also learn about Spoofed dosing.
    this is an area i do know very well, you obviously dont, you cant ddos or dos with your home connection, there is so much behind this that it would take all day to explain, but there is a reason real ddosers use botnets, and groups like anonymous rely on impressionable youth to assist them

Your knowledge of Us law is also lacking when people who hack into police databases receive 1-3 years in prison.If you think someone flooding another's kids internet for 1/2 an hour is going to them life you're delusional.
    http://houston.cbslocal.com/2012/08/...ing-texas-dps/
    my knowledge of law in this area is just fine, you lack the understanding of how it is used in prosecution, if you hack your buddy across town, that is not just a single violation, its a violation per tool used per network crossed, the average sentence per violation is 5 years, however, most of the time if its a teenager, the fbi will be lenient, and often they will press them into giving up information, on average 1/4 hackers has been caught and is now working as an informant, read about sabu from anonymous

[/url]
    Also if people don't ddos in the arena/rbg community "mostly rbg" why does Arena Junkies have a massive guide on how to stop it?
    http://www.arenajunkies.com/topic/22...nting-ddosing/
    I refer you back to my previous post to ask the mod Obelodalix. He will tell you what I've already stated.
    aj? a mod? thats nice, show me something from EC-Council or (ISC)2, or even a posting about it on the whitehat boards, if this really was a prolific and widespread as you are claiming (to involve a ddos botnet), something would show up there, but it doesn't

and actually, the latest entries in Inj3t0r for skype are from 2010, version 4.2
    Last edited by Cyanotical; 2012-10-24 at 02:42 AM.

nobody really cares about that here,

this is an area i do know very well, you obviously dont, you cant ddos or dos with your home connection, there is so much behind this that it would take all day to explain, but there is a reason real ddosers use botnets, and groups like anonymous rely on impressionable youth to assist them

my knowledge of law in this area is just fine, you lack the understanding of how it is used in prosecution, if you hack your buddy across town, that is not just a single violation, its a violation per tool used per network crossed, the average sentence per violation is 5 years, however, most of the time if its a teenager, the fbi will be lenient, and often they will press them into giving up information, on average 1/4 hackers has been caught and is now working as an informant, read about sabu from anonymous

aj? a mod? thats nice, show me something from EC-Council or (ISC)2, or even a posting about it on the whitehat boards, if this really was a prolific and widespread as you are claiming (to involve a ddos botnet), something would show up there, but it doesn't

and actually, the latest entries in Inj3t0r for skype are from 2010, version 4.2
    It isn't to brah, if you don't play at that level you haven't seen and heard the things that go on.

No one said kids ddos with their own connection. They go on forums and buy $10 shell booters.

You failed to read the article of a 31 year old hacking and leaking the texas and w. virginia police database and only getting 2 years. Jeopardizing undercover agents and risking their lives. You never see hackers going away for more than a couple years.

Go out and find any high rated rbg'er and they will tell you ddos stories.

10+ Year Old Account
    It isn't to brah, if you don't play at that level you haven't seen and heard the things that go on.

No one said kids ddos with their own connection. They go on forums and buy $10 shell booters.

You failed to read the article of a 31 year old hacking and leaking the texas and w. virginia police database and only getting 2 years. Jeopardizing undercover agents and risking their lives. You never see hackers going away for more than a couple years.

Go out and find any high rated rbg'er and they will tell you ddos stories.
    okay, SHOW me some proof, perhaps say a youtube video of a repeated offence, because i've looked, and outside of a few pvpers complaining, there is nothing, which means it's nothing more that a few sore losers trying to blame something else beside themselves for losing

you do realize you are making the infosec equivalent of claiming the dent on your car was caused by the ISS crashing on it, there is just no evidence to back up your claims, is it possible? yes, probable? no

like i said, the average sentence is 5 years, but thats not the max of what is possible, and most hackers weigh the risks, and ddosing a wow game is just not worth it, especially for "$10 from a forum" which sounds suspicious enough as it is, actually, it just sounds made up, real hackers dont leave stuff like that open for people to see, anything remotely like that is based in deep internet, which you cant get to with a regular browser/connection, or by accident

btw, there is no exploit in skype, when your having a conversation, skype sends traffic similar to icmp in order to check on the status of the call, and to adjust quality accordingly, anyone can pick this up in their firewall logs, which begs the question, why are you talking in skype with enemy players, or players who you suspect would "ddos"?

and back to your original post, at&t does offer static ips, but you have to pay extra for it, and given that there are no more ipv4 addresses available, they are just not going to "forget" that they gave you a static ip, if you are not being billed for it, you dont have it, more than likely, the routing table at the CO hasnt been refreshed to force an assignment of a new ip

also, every ddos possibility aside, why would anyone use ddos as a method of blocking someone from playing wow? that is simply the dumbest idea anyone has ever come up with to knock someone out of a game, and when you consider that there are plenty of other methods that are near untraceable, using a fire-hose to blow out a birthday candle is extreme, and stupid

okay, SHOW me some proof, perhaps say a youtube video of a repeated offence, because i've looked, and outside of a few pvpers complaining, there is nothing, which means it's nothing more that a few sore losers trying to blame something else beside themselves for losing

you do realize you are making the infosec equivalent of claiming the dent on your car was caused by the ISS crashing on it, there is just no evidence to back up your claims, is it possible? yes, probable? no

like i said, the average sentence is 5 years, but thats not the max of what is possible, and most hackers weigh the risks, and ddosing a wow game is just not worth it, especially for "$10 from a forum" which sounds suspicious enough as it is, actually, it just sounds made up, real hackers dont leave stuff like that open for people to see, anything remotely like that is based in deep internet, which you cant get to with a regular browser/connection, or by accident

btw, there is no exploit in skype, when your having a conversation, skype sends traffic similar to icmp in order to check on the status of the call, and to adjust quality accordingly, anyone can pick this up in their firewall logs, which begs the question, why are you talking in skype with enemy players, or players who you suspect would "ddos"?

and back to your original post, at&t does offer static ips, but you have to pay extra for it, and given that there are no more ipv4 addresses available, they are just not going to "forget" that they gave you a static ip, if you are not being billed for it, you dont have it, more than likely, the routing table at the CO hasnt been refreshed to force an assignment of a new ip

also, every ddos possibility aside, why would anyone use ddos as a method of blocking someone from playing wow? that is simply the dumbest idea anyone has ever come up with to knock someone out of a game, and when you consider that there are plenty of other methods that are near untraceable, using a fire-hose to blow out a birthday candle is extreme, and stupid
    DDoSing is a pretty big problem in esports. If you know anything about pro LoL, playes used to get hit all the time, and i remember TSM in particular getting hit all the time during online tournies. There's even a help page for it on the league main website, so clearly it happens enough to warrant that. I'm assuming if it can happen in LoL, it can happen with WoW just as easy.

League of Legends E-Sports is worth tens of thousands of US dollars. Winning your bracket in WoW is not.

Back to my question: IF Skype is such a huge problem and the source of your IP Address for the "hackers", why the fuck does everybody still use skype? Changing what I thought would be the core of the problem is the first thing I'd do, not sit on the phone and annoy my ISP's tech support about how they need to give me a new IP address and then bitch about it on a gaming forum because I didn't get exactly what I wanted.

another entertaining thread...lol

a dynamic IP provides security and anonymity to the network.. if you have a static IP, over time on the internet this IP gets logged EVERYWHERE he makes a connection..

so its very likely a static IP is way more vulnerable to hacking attempts... with dynamic all you do is restart your router (leave off for to drop off your ISP) and you will have vanished into thin air

DDOS nukes remote desktop connections, hell even opening the persons CD drive is possible when you got there ip

the best detection is a program called wireshark and TCPView
    you can see all incoming and outgoing IP's on what port then

The only way to stop the connections lagging you out is to firewall the ports used, and port forward ports to other ports via your router... you could even create a DMZ with tunnels ( a de-militarized zone usually a linux machine to stop ALL connections) and then slowly let yourself in

this still isn't gonna work as some programs will not work on the different ports

you reckon people will get charged for DDOSing ya.... maybe on a mass scale or if you break into somewhere sensitive.... but there are BILLIONS of illegal connection attempts made on the internet a minute... thats what firewalls are for... there are literally soooo many packets flying around

i chased a hacker to afghanistan once

---------- Post added 2012-10-24 at 09:08 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Aeluron View Post
    Yet you're not reporting the DDOS attack. If you don't try to report the attack then I think you're just setting yourself up again.
    if we diddnt have firewalls every network would be flooded with packets

---------- Post added 2012-10-24 at 09:10 PM ----------

They couldn't figure out how to issue me a new ip so I just told them to change it from a static to a dynamic. Having a tech support guy come in tomorrow morning to work on the box
    dynamic orr static is done by your ISP's DNS server

---------- Post added 2012-10-24 at 09:14 PM ----------

DoS and DDoS have been thrown around lately with Anonymous, but most people dont understand how they actually work, so the supposed "DDoSing" of rated bgs is nothing more than a sore loser looking for something to blame, "internet went out? must be the other team ddosing me"

US anti hacking law sets no difference between hacking your neighbor, and hacking a bank, both carry up a 25 year sentence per violation

please tell me more about networking, it's not like im trained and certified in it or anything, even for adsl, a static ip is an upgrade, dhcp does not have have to give you a new ip address every time, which will give the appearance of a static ip, but unless it clearly says "static ip" on your billing statement, you dont have one
    different ISP have different policys on IP's some will not allow you to have dynamic

and also there are many ways to mess when you have the IP, not just DDOS...
    Last edited by TrapTripper; 2012-10-24 at 01:05 PM.

There is no reason for a tech support guy to come out to assign you an ip address that I can think of.

im in the UK and my provider has a "semi-static" setup, its technically dynamic but doesn't change often. I will be assigned the same IP even after a restart; unless I leave my router offline for long enough for my IP to be released and assigned to someone else. Could mean leaving it off for quite a while. You may have a similar setup.

I don't have a degree or certifications.. Wouldn't put the $500 down for the Cisco certification test, but I did study it in high school and some college. I don't know where your information is coming from, but static IP's aren't normally upgrades - at least from my experience.

It would blow your mind if you also started thinking of dynamically and statically assigned SUBNETS

---------- Post added 2012-10-24 at 09:18 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Vetis View Post
    There is no reason for a tech support guy to come out to assign you an ip address that I can think of.

im in the UK and my provider has a "semi-static" setup, its technically dynamic but doesn't change often. I will be assigned the same IP even after a restart; unless I leave my router offline for long enough for my IP to be released and assigned to someone else. Could mean leaving it off for quite a while. You may have a similar setup.

yeah you connection on the ISP end remains active for some minutes if it breaks

---------- Post added 2012-10-24 at 09:23 PM ----------

you should try explain that to the idiots ruining DayZ

as long is there is a code ppl will mess with it
    Last edited by TrapTripper; 2012-10-24 at 01:25 PM.

Deleted
    as someone who has been around computers most of my life, this thread makes me chuckle for so many reasons.
    many of which have been pointed out by the more knowledgeable posters than I on the subject.

yeah people just start with....

your computer has an ip of YOUR NETWORK (/ipconfig)

The routers connection has an IP of the WWW (go into your web browser router pages then into router DNS)

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by TrapTripper View Post
    The routers connection has an IP of the WWW
    Man it's hilarious to read ramblings of tech illiterates that pretend they know what they're talking about

Warning: The insults are unnecessary - noteworthynerd
    Last edited by noteworthynerd; 2012-10-24 at 02:24 PM.