Poll: Mage Level 90 Talents

Be advised that this is a public poll: other users can see the choice(s) you selected.

Page 1 of 4
... LastLast
    Deleted

[Poll] Mage Level 90 Talents - Thumbs Up or Down?

So, we got some time to play with our new "ultimates".
    What do you guys think about them?

Please keep this thread clean - Ceen

They have potential in there... but each is just too playstyle-constraining. A mobile fight without low-level AoE going out totally screws the class (sure, you can take the shield for the passive, but it's not optimal by any means)

15+ Year Old Account
    They are horrible for any fights where moving is required. They are also pretty annoying for soloing. Talents should be an ability that can be used to increase DPS, but not a buff that increases all damage done. Invocation is just a pain in the ass while soloing. Rune of Power works, but you always have to stand at the same spot. Knockbacks ruin Rune of Power. Incanter's Ward is useless for soloing. Can be helpful in raids when there's a lot of Aoe damage.

They should simply increase all Mage damage by 15% to 20% and change or replace Invocation and Rune of Power. Maybe make them cooldowns.

Invocation
    Replaces Evocation
    4 second channel / 2 min cd
    Same effect as Evocation + When you succesfully complete an Evocation cast all damage done by you is increased by 25% for 20 seconds.

Rune of Power
    Replaces Evocation
    1.5 second cast / 2 min cd
    Increases your damage done by 15% for 30 seconds while the rune IS ACTIVE. Also increases your mana regeneration by (a percentage that would roughly give you the same amount of mana back as completing an Evocation cast) while the rune is active.

So, you do not have to stand in it.

This way, Mages aren't forced to always have one of their talents up while soloing. It also makes it a lot easier for Mages in Challenge Modes, where speed is important and burst damage are important. Making them cooldowns and increasing the base damage of Mages would make me really happy.

I still wouldn't mind talents like this:

Phoenix
    Instant cast / 3 min cd
    Summons a Phoenix to fight by your side for 45 seconds. While attacking your target, your Fire spells will deal 5% more damage. Also, the Phoenix will deal (amount) of damage to any enemy target within 8 yards.

Nether Attunement
    Instant cast / 3 min cd
    You partially phase into a Nether realm, lowering the mana cost of all spells by 50% for 30 seconds.

Frostform
    Instant cast / 3 min cd
    Assume a Frostform, increasing your Frost damage by 15%, reducing all damage taken by 10% for 30 seconds.

Now, these talents are all spec specific, but I really wouldn't mind having a mandatory talent for each spec if it meant getting rid of the current level 90 talents.
    Statix will suffice.

10+ Year Old Account
    Invocation and Rune are incredibly boring and, at times, plain annoying. Pretty terrible level 90 talents.

10+ Year Old Account
    Terrible, they need to be replaced with better ones.
    Quote Originally Posted by Marjane Satrapi
    The world is not divided between East and West. You are American, I am Iranian, we don't know each other, but we talk and understand each other perfectly. The difference between you and your government is much bigger than the difference between you and me. And the difference between me and my government is much bigger than the difference between me and you. And our governments are very much the same.

They are horrible, and like another poster already said, way to restraining.

Having to Evo every 45 seconds? Sucks.
    Having to standing in 1-2 places and recast the thing ever minute or whatever? Sucks.
    Having to take damage when the shield is up, and you can't have any other form of shield on you? Sucks.

I simply want to play without having to buff myself every 30-60 seconds... It's worse than 5 min pally buffs.

I'm hoping that Blizzard reads the plethora of posts complaining about the 90 talents on both MMOchamp and the official WoW forums and begins to rework them with fun talents. As much as the talents increase dps now, I'd rather cast a big damage spell than manage a 25% buff that I need to channel or a rune that I have to remain planted on. Fun > Maintenance.

Definitely thumbs down. Nobody needs to use evocation every 15 seconds. Incanter's ward encourages bad play because u have to "step in the fire" or get hit by something to activate it. And rune of power is good for patchwork fights where u don't have to move...at all. I feel like I had rune of power shoved down my throat because the other 2 choices suck that bad. I also wouldn't mind it half as much if it didn't have a damn cast time to further screw up our mobility.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by iamthedevil View Post
    They are horrible, and like another poster already said, way to restraining.

Having to Evo every 45 seconds? Sucks.
    Having to standing in 1-2 places and recast the thing ever minute or whatever? Sucks.
    Having to take damage when the shield is up, and you can't have any other form of shield on you? Sucks.

I simply want to play without having to buff myself every 30-60 seconds... It's worse than 5 min pally buffs.
    At least Inquisition is instant cast. XD
    The world is not divided between East and West. You are American, I am Iranian, we don't know each other, but we talk and understand each other perfectly. The difference between you and your government is much bigger than the difference between you and me. And the difference between me and my government is much bigger than the difference between me and you. And our governments are very much the same.

If you are casting Invocation every 15 seconds you are using the talent incorrectly.

All throughout Cata, a lot of people (myself included) thought mages were trolololo easy to play. The level 90 talent adds a small level of complexity and a greater separation between skilled and unskilled players.

I don't feel like it's THAT BAD to use. It's certainly 10 times easier than keeping up the old Improved Soul Fire, so... thumbs up.

I still think mages are one of the easiest classes to play, but definitely harder to play than they were in Cata.
    Last edited by Windry; 2012-10-23 at 02:42 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Glokk View Post
    I'm hoping that Blizzard reads the plethora of posts complaining about the 90 talents on both MMOchamp and the official WoW forums and begins to rework them with fun talents. As much as the talents increase dps now, I'd rather cast a big damage spell than manage a 25% buff that I need to channel or a rune that I have to remain planted on. Fun > Maintenance.
    They didn't listen when a ton of people were complaining in the beta, doubt they'll change anything now.

10+ Year Old Account
    Here is my take on some possible replacements.

Invocation
    Passive

Arcane
    Casting Arcane Power now resets the cooldown of Evocation, and causes it to reduce the mana cost of your spells by 20% rather than increasing them for its duration.

Fire
    Every time you deal direct Fire damage that does not critically strike, your critical strike chance with Fire spells will be increased by 10% stacking up to 10 times or until you deal a direct Fire damage critical with any spell except Inferno Blast.

Frost
    Your Summon: Water Elemental now summons a Greater Water Elemental that does increased damage.

Rune of Power
    Instant Cast / 10 sec recharge.

Summons a Rune of Power at the feet of the caster that lasts for 1 min. While standing in their own Rune of Power, the mage recieves an additional 15% spell damage. This spell can be cast twice before incurring its cooldown.

Synthesis
    Passive

Your spell damage is increased by 25% for 15 seconds after using a Mana Gem.

I dont know, I find myself in a spot that I never use Incanter's, so far in raiding, i've tried it once.. never again. Invocation is the once i have least problems with cause you are free to move outside of those 5 seconds every 40 secs.. That said I do want some changes..

Invocation: all damage taken reduced by 75% while casting. Max absorb 50% of total life. Does not work outdoors or in Bg's/arena

Rune of Power:
    -While standing in a Rune of Power you gain 15% spell damage for 5 seconds.
    Or
    -Your Rune of Power is now castable while moving

Incanter's: This spell in my mind need a rework, they should either increase the passive or make it stack with the on use but decrease the on use a bit. As it stands now there is just no point using incanters unless the fight has a really huge movement req and has ~30 sec interval raid wide aoe

Anyways thats my 2 cents.

Unimaginative and terribly implemented - look at Warlock talents for reference :|
    Mage in <Strawberry Puppy Kisses> on Area 52

Quote Originally Posted by Windry View Post
    All throughout Cata, a lot of people (myself included) thought mages were trolololo easy to play. The level 90 talent adds a small level of complexity and a greater separation between skilled and unskilled players.

I don't feel like it's THAT BAD to use. It's certainly 10 times easier than keeping up the old Improved Soul Fire, so... thumbs up.

I still think mages are one of the easiest classes to play, but definitely harder to play than they were in Cata.
    And here you are missing the "game" aspect. The talents are boring and disturbing. What does that have to do with complexity? If they wanted to make mages harder to play with they could add new spells new rotations and new mechanics that are fun but more complex. These are just BS.

10+ Year Old Account
    Casting Arcane Power now resets the cooldown of Evocation, and causes it to reduce the mana cost of your spells by 20% rather than increasing them for its duration.

I don't mind that. I support it. I use Incanter's ward but I don't use it as it lowers my mana regen so I just don't use it.

Rune of Power:
    -While standing in a Rune of Power you gain 15% spell damage for 5 seconds.
    Or
    -Your Rune of Power is now castable while moving
    I like the mechanics of Rune of Power but dear god this would suck for moving and especially in PVP. Either make it a buff or something but sheesh. I'd take it if it wasn't so ...bad

Synthesis
    Passive

Your spell damage is increased by 25% for 15 seconds after using a Mana Gem.
    Don't mind that either though the cooldown seems silly for the Mana gem IMO.
    #TeamLegion #UnderEarthofAzerothexpansion plz #Arathor4Alliance #TeamNoBlueHorde

Warrior-Magi

Quote Originally Posted by Jaylol View Post
    They didn't listen when a ton of people were complaining in the beta, doubt they'll change anything now.
    Only time will tell, and I'm just really hoping they have something in the works that we don't know about.

Deleted
    I have to say I really dislike the lv 90 talents.

Not fun to use.

Ring of power for example it is just a pain to have to keep recasting it. If it was insta cast, maybe off the GCD and if the rings of power stayed on the floor for ten mins or until cast at a new location it would not be so bad.

15+ Year Old Account
    They also make the Mana Gem useless. I haven't used one since Mists of Pandaria was released. Not sure if they are required for Arcane, but for Fire and Frost, they are completely useless.

I sincerely hope they will change these talents. Especcialy now that Warlocks get a new spell, it shouldn't be too much trouble to change them a bit.
    Statix will suffice.