Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst
LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Reeve View Post
    Something I thought interesting is that when I was there, I noticed a lot of businesses had names or signs in English, and not just in tourism areas. I asked my Estonian friends about it and they said it's kind of a debate going on about it. On the one hand, they don't want to feel like they're losing their language/culture, but on the other hand, it signals that Estonia is taking its place in the larger international community. Plus, being more English friendly is generally good for investment.

Private companies will only upgrade bureaucratic services when the government retains them to do so, which does cost taxpayer money (though it ultimately saves it). You're right on internet access, of course.
    Yah, nothing bad comes with that, heck like half the commercials we get are in english. We will not start speaking english anytime soon because of that hehe. It's a way for international corportations to save money tbh, they know we are great at english hence no need to create swedish commercials for what is a pretty small market. But yeah, nullifying the language barrier certainly helps when it comes to business and trade with international partners.

Of course, I don't know enough about american beuracracy to compare what can be done online though, but here(and Estonia seems similiar)I think you can do almost everything online, the big banks are currently cooperating on developing software so people will be able to make transactions with smart phones etc as well. I still always carry some cash but only 3% of all financial transactions are made using cash these days. You pay for your ticket on public transport with your mobile phone for example.
    The nerve is called the "nerve of awareness". You cant dissect it. Its a current that runs up the center of your spine. I dont know if any of you have sat down, crossed your legs, smoked DMT, and watch what happens... but what happens to me is this big thing goes RRRRRRRRRAAAAAWWW! up my spine and flashes in my brain... well apparently thats whats going to happen if I do this stuff...

Only old people use checks for anything other than paying rent and large bills like that. Even that's changing to primarily be direct debit.

But the technology in our debit/credit cards is way behind. We don't generally have access to chip and PIN cards or RFID cards. They exist, but they're very rare. Every time I travel to Europe, the people look at me strange when I hand them a debit card without a chip.
    I want some of what the people in this thread are smoking. I've clearly spent way more time in the US than they have, and it's been almost 20 years since I can last remember people regularly using checks instead of cards. Sure, a small portion of weirdos believe that the ease of using a card leads to overspending, but those people are a loss to society anyway.

And as for the guy talking mouth about "I saw a commercial advertising internet banking." Well, online banking has been commonplace in America for years. Commercials in the US, Canada, and many other countries advertise baseline services as "zomg features" regularly in an attempt to make their service appear special without actually offering anything special. Maybe that doesn't happen wherever you're from, but it's pretty normal.

Anyway, the answer to this question is simple: Population + enormous amount of territory + decentralization = everything costs more. More than a third of Estonia's population resides in Tallinn, and about half of the nation's population in the top 5 largest population centers. Even when you combine New York, LA, Chicago, Houston, Philadelphia, Phoenix, San Antonio and San Diego (all of which have a comparable or significantly larger population than Estonia), you still don't get even 10% of the United States' population.

Basically my point is that when you don't have to worry about all of the intricacies/obstacles of state and local government, you only have to deal with a few major population zones (I don't believe for a second that rural Estonia is as modernized as their major cities), and the sheer population/space involved is much smaller and more centralized, everything is a lot easier.

Regarding the whole state government issue, which many on this forum may be unaware of, not every state is as bad as, for example, Texas. And there are several states that have quick and painless DMV visits, due to the implementation of the exact kind of technology mentioned in this thread. But as long as some states, mostly in the south, take such a radical opposition stance to the government you wont ever see any improvements there.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Jackmoves View Post
    Of course, I don't know enough about american beuracracy to compare what can be done online though, but here(and Estonia seems similiar)I think you can do almost everything online, the big banks are currently cooperating on developing software so people will be able to make transactions with smart phones etc as well. I still always carry some cash but only 3% of all financial transactions are made using cash these days. You pay for your ticket on public transport with your mobile phone for example.
    You can pay your taxes online, renew your car registration online, but a lot of other government services have to be done in person. For example, there are a number of types of driving citations you have to get cleared in person at a courthouse, which is a pain because the lines at the courthouse are generally several hours long, and it's only open during the work day. The last time I had to go to the Department of Public Safety (only open during the working day), it took me 4 hours to get through the line and get out. Luckily I'm salaried and have an understanding boss.
    'Twas a cutlass swipe or an ounce of lead
    Or a yawing hole in a battered head
    And the scuppers clogged with rotting red
    And there they lay I damn me eyes
    All lookouts clapped on Paradise
    All souls bound just contrarywise, yo ho ho and a bottle of rum!

The state of the internet in North America is an absolute embarrassment when compared to just about any European country, not just Estonia

Quote Originally Posted by Bakis View Post
    Think the diplomat address that in the last paragraph. Americans are already the most monitored citizens of any democracy.
    I'm sorry, what? I'm pretty sure England would like to have a word with you on that one.

I don't think a lot of Europeans fully grasp just how big the US is geographically. We have slightly less landmass than all of Europe with about 40% of the population. I'm not saying money couldn't be spent in better places than on the military, but replacing the entire IT infrastructure of the country is no small feat.

Deleted
    I moved to Estonia 3.5 years ago. Best decision of my life. Now, I don't want other Europeans thinking that this is some kind of heaven, but it's really going in the right direction.

They have to start fixing some issues though, like in example, client service quality.

EDIT : I'll add that doing everything with the ID is amazing, but the core software needs some big improvement...
    Last edited by mmoc62a721aa86; 2012-10-23 at 04:49 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Spectral View Post
    It might, just might, be harder to outfit the infrastructure at the federal level for a nation of 300 million people than a nation of 1.3 million people.
    Pretty much this is as far as we need to go here. I find it hilarious that a US Diplomat doesn't understand this fact, sort of shows how little social and technical expertise is needed to be a diplomat.
    Quote Originally Posted by melodramocracy View Post
    Gold and the 'need' for it in-game is easily one of the most overblown mindsets in this community.

10+ Year Old Account
    I agree that it's really expensive to develop many of these things.

Though, I would wager it would have cost less and created more jobs than the Iraq war, which the DoD estimates to be at least 757.8 billion.
    Human progress isn't measured by industry. It's measured by the value you place on a life.

Just, be kind.

So why is it that the US has been unable to keep up with a lot of simple modern technological conveniences in the way our citizens interface with their government?
    Because there's no money in it. NOTHING in USA gets done unless there's lots of money to be made from it. Why do we not have widespread wireless free internet in the USA? Because it takes away a large portion of money away from the corporations, and I am sure people would say "That sounds like Commie bullshit".

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Pachycrocuta View Post
    Because there's no money in it. NOTHING in USA gets done unless there's lots of money to be made from it. Why do we not have widespread wireless free internet in the USA? Because it takes away a large portion of money away from the corporations, and I am sure people would say "That sounds like Commie bullshit".
    The older I get, the more disgusted I become with our form of capitalism. :/ It feels like the negatives are starting to heavily outweigh the positives.
    That fabric softener teddy bear...oooh I'm 'a hunt that little bitch down.

Quote Originally Posted by Zoneseek View Post
    The state of the internet in North America is an absolute embarrassment when compared to just about any European country, not just Estonia
    From what I've read the state of 4G service in Europe is an absolute embarrassment.

You can pay your taxes online, renew your car registration online, but a lot of other government services have to be done in person. For example, there are a number of types of driving citations you have to get cleared in person at a courthouse, which is a pain because the lines at the courthouse are generally several hours long, and it's only open during the work day. The last time I had to go to the Department of Public Safety (only open during the working day), it took me 4 hours to get through the line and get out. Luckily I'm salaried and have an understanding boss.
    You mean like a traffic ticket?
    The nerve is called the "nerve of awareness". You cant dissect it. Its a current that runs up the center of your spine. I dont know if any of you have sat down, crossed your legs, smoked DMT, and watch what happens... but what happens to me is this big thing goes RRRRRRRRRAAAAAWWW! up my spine and flashes in my brain... well apparently thats whats going to happen if I do this stuff...

I believe there is merit to having a government run database of it's population, I believe the problem doesn't lie with the government though, but with hackers. To a hacker, information is power, and a bank of that much information seems like too easy a target.

100 mbit internet? .____.
    I can get a max of 20 mbit i think...

Stupid old internet infrastructure... They might as well change it now that they are digging all the powerlines into the ground anyway

Edit: Oh wait, just found a company offering 100 mbit - at about $88 a month
    Last edited by Catta; 2012-10-23 at 05:04 PM.

Only old people use checks for anything other than paying rent and large bills like that. Even that's changing to primarily be direct debit.

But the technology in our debit/credit cards is way behind. We don't generally have access to chip and PIN cards or RFID cards. They exist, but they're very rare. Every time I travel to Europe, the people look at me strange when I hand them a debit card without a chip.
    So are you saying it's still normal to pay anything at all with checks? Jeez. It's been 10 years since I even went to a bank, absolutely no reason to ever go there anymore.

Quote Originally Posted by matt4pack View Post
    From what I've read the state of 4G service in Europe is an absolute embarrassment.
    Most of the populated areas in my country got 4g with 60 mbit capability(Urban areas got even higher, upwards 80mbit).

So why is it that the US has been unable to keep up with a lot of simple modern technological conveniences in the way our citizens interface with their government?
    Honestly? because its 'Murica, and Hollywood and Oil rule you. they dont want whats best for you, they want whats best for there bottom lines.
    Till water is gone, Till shade is gone. Into the shadow with teeth bared, screaming defiance with the last breath. To spit in Sightblinders eye on the last day.

Quote Originally Posted by Spectral View Post
    It might, just might, be harder to outfit the infrastructure at the federal level for a nation of 300 million people than a nation of 1.3 million people.
    a Country with 300million ppl might, just might have a larger economy then a country with 1.3M ppl.

15+ Year Old Account
    I like my fiber 100mbit full duplex with no data limit for 21 USD/month

Deleted
    Let merika stay in their bubble, please do not burst it. Fact is that most of Europe is far better off than US in terms of everything.

Infracted
    Last edited by Fuzzzie; 2012-10-23 at 05:31 PM.