Scarab Lord Triggered Fridgekin's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account

Quick Pointers on Stone Guardians [10m]

Hey fellas!

Our guild was finally able to check out MSV last night for a brief amount of time but we encountered an issue in regards to damage being taken due to the mechanics of the raid. Our tanks got better at taunting the correct target and the overall raid damage has been reduced but is still problematic in certain situations and DPS seems to fluctuate.

Our raid composition is:
    Prot Paladin
    Blood DK
    Frost DK
    Feral Druid
    Beastmaster Hunter
    Two Shadow Priests
    Resto Shaman
    Resto Druid
    Mistweaving Monk

We use a system where the DPS will essentially bounce between the two tanks depending on which has the two targets on it. The problem often happens when we get fire chains and our range have to hug their target which often appears to be melee. Depending on circumstances, it can be a little hectic to not separate from the target you are chained to because melee is either running from one tank to the other and having to avoid either bombs or puddles or when we get chained and the path to join is a problem to navigate depending on where the bombs or puddles are arranged. We break them once Jasper is being handled and that is typically the phase where we have the least amount of issues.

My gut is telling me that this is not a favorable fight to bring melee but since we're more relaxed we don't (yet) have an option to bring in range alts and take melee out of the equation.

Obviously, there are still some L2P issues which need to be taken in to account such as stepping in puddles and avoiding bombs while they are not 'safe' but we didn't have much time to perfect our strategy but rather used it as a way to get our feet wet as we go back tonight to take a serious crack at it.

However, in this case, with having two melee, is it better to stick to one tank and have them swap to keep two targets always on the Blood DK or to bounce between whichever currently has the two targets on him? I wouldn't think the bouncing strategy is 'ideal' seeing as how it compromises our melee and Blood DK's potential DPS and can make chain hugging problematic to certain players.
    A soldier will fight long and hard for a bit of colored ribbon.

if your not taking excessive damage from Overloads, which you shouldnt, then this is a matter of DPS learning the fight. We struggled the first night, spent 2+ hours on it. then the next week one shot it. Our problem was dealing with overloads, once the tanks figured out the taunting it was no longer an issue.

the chains are silver when youre close, once you spread out the light on fire. So its a good visual for thise in raid to see how far apart they are.

he have have two melee and use the strat you describe. We have ranged run into the melee when they get jasper chains with melee. We dont break em, they fall off after 30 secs and our healers are doing well. breal all the Cobalt Mines when Cobalt petrification, everytime teh petrification its the first thing i call out, POP MINES.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Rustweaver View Post
    We use a system where the DPS will essentially bounce between the two tanks depending on which has the two targets on it. The problem often happens when we get fire chains and our range have to hug their target which often appears to be melee. Depending on circumstances, it can be a little hectic to not separate from the target you are chained to because melee is either running from one tank to the other and having to avoid either bombs or puddles or when we get chained and the path to join is a problem to navigate depending on where the bombs or puddles are arranged. We break them once Jasper is being handled and that is typically the phase where we have the least amount of issues.
    I wouldn't recommend this approach. Have your highest DPS tank (my guess would be the DK) always tanking two dogs. For us I tank 2 dogs and our warrior always has one, I let him call "taunting X" and by default I taunt what ever dog he is on without having to say a word and leave watching energy to the off tank. DPS always stick too the 2 dog's current target which means melee won't have to move.

Since I'm not watching energy I'll call for the raid to break Cobalt mines or Jasper chains during the appropriate petrifications. Tank's can help with mines close to them (they don't hurt much just root you) and Ranged/Healers should break links with melee at this point. People with personal CD's (SP, hunters, pally's) should use them to pop mines in between petrifications.

Oh, if one of the tank's go down and no b-rez just combine the dogs and try to AoE them down. You CAN heal through the full damage explosions and your DPS spikes to get the fight done sooner anyways (I peaked at 215k when it happened to us).
    [/URL]
    The four elements, like man alone, are weak. But together they form the strong fifth element: Boron.