Page 2 of 49 FirstFirst
... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Uko View Post
    I'm glad they aren't funding them. Why should we fund something that's providing abortions for people who lack the self control to not sleep around and get pregnant when they don't want the child. What ever happened to personal responsibility if you screw up deal with it yourself. This isn't banning abortions or anything of the like all it does is prevents taxpayer money being wasted on things people have control over.
    Congratulations. You're an idiot.

Go look up how overpopulation, especially increases in lower income groups, affects what happens to taxpayer money.

Did I congratulate you for being an idiot already?

Infracted
    Last edited by Pendulous; 2012-10-27 at 06:07 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Vokal View Post
    Congratulations. You're an idiot.

Go look up how overpopulation, especially increases in lower income groups, affects what happens to taxpayer money.

Did I congratulate you for being an idiot already?
    I don't think hard enough. Idiots generally like to be congratulated multiple times for forming a sentence.

Quote Originally Posted by someotherguy View Post
    Not to be cold, but fiscal conservatives should be against irresponsible people having babies, and funding abortion is a very small price to pay.
    You can't seriously compare that to how much that baby will cost to taxpayers in a long run.

Abortion is only an issue for religious conservatives, but in US we have something about "separating church and state", which seems to have gotten forgotten.
    Not completely a religious issue or else it would have been solved years ago. A lot of people draw line somewhere in the fetus's development. others draw a different lines. Thats why the problem keeps popping up.

It does not make sense for the state to fund abortion, as more citizens mean more tax money evantually.

Quote Originally Posted by someotherguy View Post
    Not to be cold, but fiscal conservatives should be against irresponsible people having babies, and funding abortion is a very small price to pay.
    You can't seriously compare that to how much that baby will cost to taxpayers in a long run.

Abortion is only an issue for religious conservatives, but in US we have something about "separating church and state", which seems to have gotten forgotten.
    To be honest if it were up to me stupid irresponsible people who are just popping out babies left and right wouldn't get any support anyway. The more you coddle stupidity the more stupidity spreads. Why should a person take any responsibility for their actions when the government has got them covered for any stupid action they take.

Quote Originally Posted by semaphore View Post
    All these pro-lifers who just showed up would be making some kind of logical sense, if Texas had actually been funding abortions.

But Texas wasn't. They aren't funding abortions, they are stopping an federally funded organisation from providing constitutionally protected services as well as general benefits. So all this nonsensical excuse to kill Planned Parenthood is just that. Nonsencial excuses to trash women's healthcare.
    What about those of us who just oppose having our money forcefully taking and applied to something we don't support?

For me this has nothing to do with abortions. I know the statistics and facts. For me it's all about one fact: if so many people seem to love Planned Parenthood, such as yourself, then they can fund it with donations. I mean we live in a country with a suffering infra-structure. Our economy is in shambles. Unemployment is still too high. (And I don't care who's fault it is.) With all of these problems why should my money be taken from me, by force, and used on something that benefits such a small part of the nation?

Quote Originally Posted by Twotonsteak View Post
    What about those of us who just oppose having our money forcefully taking and applied to something we don't support?

For me this has nothing to do with abortions. I know the statistics and facts. For me it's all about one fact: if so many people seem to love Planned Parenthood, such as yourself, then they can fund it with donations. I mean we live in a country with a suffering infra-structure. Our economy is in shambles. Unemployment is still too high. (And I don't care who's fault it is.) With all of these problems why should my money be taken from me, by force, and used on something that benefits such a small part of the nation?
    I'd just like to say, knowing I can't change your stance on this issue, that's incredibly shortsighted. It isn't as cut and dry as people make it out to be.

As a descendant of the Stephen F Austin's first 300 I am absolutely embarrassed by the Texas state government.

Quote Originally Posted by Bergtau View Post
    Here's a novel idea, let's have everybody who supports roads donate money to road building personally.
    Roads are used by every American Citizen (and most illegal's, I'm sure). I'm pretty sure the same can't be said about Planned Parenthood.
    Last edited by Twotonsteak; 2012-10-27 at 02:33 AM.

10+ Year Old Account

The majority of the US doesn't use the road right outside of your house. Why should they be concerned in any way with helping pay for it?

Its this concept of a lack of importance of public goods that confounds the rest of the world, because ultimately no, you lose money by privatizing everything, and the higher cost comes at lower service in the end unless you are one of the highest payers.

Quote Originally Posted by artemishunter1 View Post
    Not completely a religious issue or else it would have been solved years ago. A lot of people draw line somewhere in the fetus's development. others draw a different lines. Thats why the problem keeps popping up.

It does not make sense for the state to fund abortion, as more citizens mean more tax money evantually.
    It makes a lot of sense, actually. More citizens doesn't mean more tax money, more citizens means more citizens. Whether those citizens can contribute tax money is based off of their ability to work and have a life. Unwanted children born to poor teenagers means at least one person is probably not working for a long stretch of time (up to around 20 years) and living off of state welfare money for that time. Their child has a high chance of also becoming welfare-dependent because of the conditions they grew up in, meaning more of a drain. They might later be able to work and contribute, but from a purely fiscal perspective it makes less sense to have a large drain for a long time that has a large chance of being extended another generation just for a small chance at another person who can work and contribute.

Why does Planned Parenthood need government funding to begin with? If it would fail without government funding it's a bad organization that needs to fail!

10+ Year Old Account
    I'm tall, and thin, with a bright red head but strike me once and I'm black instead...
    As for people not wanting their tax money being used to pay for abortions, they can $%^& off.
    Well - nice to see the mask of civility drop from the face of intolerance. Makes it easier for folks to see what the real undercurrent going on here is.

Regardless... I'm all for freedom of choice. If Texas made a law that actually tried to ban abortions or make them illegal then they'd be out of line. The person should always be free to decide what is best for themselves in their own circumstance. Government should not be allowed to interefere, and no other group of citizens should be allowed to use the force of law to make others do what they want.

However, unlike the your average liberal - I am not inconsistent in the application of my logic. I likewise accept that taking people's tax money and funneling it into things that they morally object to is the SAME THING as the using making laws to force people to do stuff they don't want. If it is "wrong" to make laws that ban abortions, then it is equally wrong to use taxes to pay for them.

Therefore I have no isues with Texas deciding to elminate state money for PP funded abortions. If PP wants to do abortions then they can do fundraisers and pay for them with the donations of volunteers and others who want to support the cause. Those who object to abortions should be left alone, and their tax dollars should not be used to support organizations that perform abortions.

That's the fair solution. No laws restricting abortions - but no government funding for them.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Bergtau View Post
    Here's a novel idea, let's have everybody who supports roads donate money to road building personally.
    We do.. its called property taxes, its call income taxes being spent in the transportation bills...

--- Want any of my Constitutional rights?, ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
    I come from a time and a place where I judge people by the content of their character; I don't give a damn if you are tall or short; gay or straight; Jew or Gentile; White, Black, Brown or Green; Conservative or Liberal. -- Note to mods: if you are going to infract me have the decency to post the reason, and expect to hold everyone else to the same standard.

Quote Originally Posted by Darkacid View Post
    Why does Planned Parenthood need government funding to begin with? If it would fail without government funding it's a bad organization that needs to fail!
    Tell that to the banks and car companies. Unless you were being super sarcastic, in which case congratulations.

Roads are used by every American Citizen (and most illegal's, I'm sure). I'm pretty sure the same can't be said about Planned Parenthood.
    Do you use every road your tax money goes toward? How much of that road money benefits you personally?

Health services are used by every American. Planned Parenthood is a branch of that. Think of it as that random circle road you never use.

Quote Originally Posted by Seran View Post
    We do.. its called property taxes, its call income taxes being spent in the transportation bills...
    Are you implying that taxes are donations?

Quote Originally Posted by semaphore View Post
    All these pro-lifers who just showed up would be making some kind of logical sense, if Texas had actually been funding abortions.

But Texas wasn't. They aren't funding abortions, they are stopping an federally funded organisation from providing constitutionally protected services as well as general benefits. So all this nonsensical excuse to kill Planned Parenthood is just that. Nonsencial excuses to trash women's healthcare.
    Look, lady, I don't have time to read.

There are babies to be saved.
    By Blood and Honor We Serve!

How about you stop being a hypocrite?

You have no problems with tax dollars funding all those things that benefits you. People don't like paying taxes, so whenever someone's tax dollars doesn't benefit them, it's something they don't support. But nobody complains about it. Because it's a society.

Backwards state making backwards changes.

Texas is definitely not known for making good or even informed choices.

Nothing new here.

Quote Originally Posted by The Riddler View Post
    Very old, very tired non sequiter. The execution of guilty adults who have committed captial crimes is in no way related to the desire to protect the lives of innocent children.
    Stop splitting hairs. If you're pro-life, you're pro-life. You can't say that abortion is a sin and then turn around and say that killing an adult isn't.

I like that we're trying to say it's wrong to refuse funding to Planned Parenthood because ONLY 3% of what they do is considered murder by many.