Page 2 of 21 FirstFirst
... LastLast
    Deleted
    "I'd be very worried if I saw a man singing the national anthem and waving the flag, sir. It's really a thing foreigners do."

"We don't need to show we're patriotic, sir... We don't have to make a fuss about being the best. We just know."

His Grace, His Excellency, The Duke of Ankh; Commander Sir Samuel Vimes
    Pretty much sums up the attitude of people in the UK, if you have the same attitude in Sweden then congratulations. You're likely not insecure about your own superiority.

Deleted
    If you go out with a Romanian flag in Romania people would think you're either going to a football game or to a protest. Only exception is national day when the flag is on light poles everywhere (and remains there until stolen).

Deleted
    Different cultures have their own traditions, but patrionism or nationalism is silly in my opinion. Why be proud to be born in a specific area?

Quote Originally Posted by Dentie View Post
    My family's summer house sports a big Swedish flag. I brought a Swedish flag to the big-screen showings of Sweden's football games this summer. I have a blue and yellow hat. No one every called me a racist for it.

People get labeled as racists when they act as ones, being derogatory towards non-swedes (or people they feel aren't "real" swedes).

OP: Not sure where you got that impression. There's a lot flag waving going on in connection to sport evens, national holidays, stuff like that. Nothing out of the ordinary I'd say.

EDIT: I guess it's not too uncommon to keep a flag up throughout the warmer months. But I'd say that has little to do with patriotism and more with a sense of tradition and familiarity. Plus we have a pretty flag.
    I brought a big grin to Sweden vs England this year, your flag didn't work :> *evil grin*.

That being said, what's wrong with flying a flag lol, it's a flag. It's only a good thing (unless what the flag represents is not good).
    Quote Originally Posted by Lugo Moll View Post
    Consider this philosophical question: If Blizz fails, but noone is there to see it. Will there still be QQ?

Why NOT be proud of where you're from? It's part of your identity, and like it or not you're stuck with that. I'm not saying go all crazy and dress in flag themed clothes every day, but there's nothing wrong with taking pride in the things that make your country unique or exceptional in some aspect.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Meari View Post
    That's weird, because I've had a Swedish flag outside my house as far as I can remember and have never been called a racist, neither have anyone else that I know of.
    I think it varies a lot depending on where you live in Sweden. Where I live at the moment, having a Swedish flag outside your house is no problem, but where I lived 4 years ago, it could get you killed.
    "In life, I was raised to hate the undead. Trained to destroy them. When I became Forsaken, I hated myself most of all. But now I see it is the Alliance that fosters this malice. The human kingdoms shun their former brothers and sisters because we remind them what's lurking beneath the facade of flesh. It's time to end their cycle of hatred. The Alliance deserves to fall." - Lilian Voss

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Jagscorpion View Post
    Why NOT be proud of where you're from? It's part of your identity, and like it or not you're stuck with that. I'm not saying go all crazy and dress in flag themed clothes every day, but there's nothing wrong with taking pride in the things that make your country unique or exceptional in some aspect.
    Be proud of something that you did and not the great achievement of coming out of your mothers vagina and staying alive? Feel free to be happy to live in a nation that treats you well but dont equal what your country has done to what you have done. You can defend your nations values without claiming pride.

Deleted
    Be proud of who you are. Especially when you're already invaded by people who tell you you're racist when they're basically colonialists showing their pride to colonize you... Wich proves they did not evolved in more than a thousand years... Aka you know what I mean (new way to avoid infractions, say "you know what I mean" when everyone does, ho ho ho!)

Oh another thing:

When a rastafarai pothead wears jamaïcan colors on his hat, shoes, shirt, and pants, nobody calls him a racist right?

Right?

But when it's an "occidental" wearing his colors, it's suddenly racism.

Don't get fooled. Just don't. Be proud, be noisy. Streets belong to those descending in.

Quote Originally Posted by kazih View Post
    Be proud of something that you did and not the great achievement of coming out of your mothers vagina and staying alive? Feel free to be happy to live in a nation that treats you well but dont equal what your country has done to what you have done. You can defend your nations values without claiming pride.
    You can't achieve anything without the help and knowledge passed down from others, Having pride in some things but not others is silly.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Meari View Post
    That's weird, because I've had a Swedish flag outside my house as far as I can remember and have never been called a racist, neither have anyone else that I know of.
    Depends alot on where you live.

It's part of the pussification of Europe. Loving your country now means you are the scum of the earth and deserve to die a horrible death.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Matooth View Post
    Pretty much sums up the attitude of people in the UK, if you have the same attitude in Sweden then congratulations. You're likely not insecure about your own superiority.
    Haha, cool quote!

Sadly, I know many more immigrants who are "proud to be Swedes" than Swedes who are the same. They are happy for living in a country which by comparison to their former homeland is secure and doing well, which develops to pride. However, we have this weird stigma in Sweden where a Swede with the Swedish flag is labelled racist by other Swedes. Sing the national anthem, even on our independence day, and alot of eyebrows will be raised. Every year around June 6th there's a debate in the papers about whether or not our national anthem is neutral enough, some even call for it to be abolished. Every year. It's some kind of anti-pride, shame even, that an alarming amount of Swedes have in regards to their nationality. As if they are somehow afraid that immigrants won't feel welcome and accepted if we are patriotic in the slightest.

Deleted
    it sounds like a lot of right wing types need to feel their very way of life is under threat, CAN'T EVEN HAVE A FLAG!!%^%!!£

Deleted
    I had to take down my flag when I shared an apartment with my friend in the not so good neighborhood, too close to the ghetto We had people screaming racist at us everytime we went outside to smoke,they threw rocks at our windows and whatever..

Now after moving I've had my flag on the balcony for 2 years and not a single complaint.. Guess it depends on where you live

Deleted
    I don't live in sweeden, but i do live in Denmark. I have been to sweeden alot, and have some good friends over there. I think it's all about how you come out as a person while having your flag shown everywhere, and in which places you do it. Where i live it's 90% immigrants. If i wave a danish flag around here, i might get in some problems. However my mother live in a very small town. I have never even seen an immigrant up there, and people wave the danish flag around all over the place.

Quote Originally Posted by Pandareeni View Post
    If u watch videos from Sweden, there is always swedish flag shown, even if it's not a some particular "flag day". Man if u would do the same here in Finland, you would be so fucked up.. being accused of being a right wing supporter. Is it in Sweden just so normal to do that, I mean fly ur country's flag even if it isnt particular flag day?
    Are people in finland not proud of their country? I can't go down main street in any random USA town without a million flags waving.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by lunarath View Post
    I don't live in sweeden, but i do live in Denmark. I have been to sweeden alot, and have some good friends over there. I think it's all about how you come out as a person while having your flag shown everywhere, and in which places you do it. Where i live it's 90% immigrants. If i wave a danish flag around here, i might get in some problems. However my mother live in a very small town. I have never even seen an immigrant up there, and people wave the danish flag around all over the place.
    The fact that you get into trouble for it is complete bullshit though no matter how you look at it. If an immigrant doesn't like the flag and thinks your racist for wielding one they should simply pack their bags and get the f*ck out. When i was in the military i've been all over Europe and this is the same situation in every single country, given there are more "of those immigrants" in the north and west of Europe than anywhere else and i'm pretty sure that if "one of those" would tell the average Polak they're racist for wielding a Polish flag they'd get a smack in the face. We're too soft to be honest.

10+ Year Old Account
    It's kinda like that here in Norway as well. I haven't heard of people being called racists for displaying the flag or anything, but i'm sure it happens. Especially in Oslo.
    But people that always have the flag up are kinda seen as a bit weird, much more common to only use it for flag days.

What pisses me off though, is that on our national day. A lot of the immigrants use the flag from the country they came from, to me that's very rude.

Quote Originally Posted by Wookeh View Post
    The fact that you get into trouble for it is complete bullshit though no matter how you look at it. If an immigrant doesn't like the flag and thinks your racist for wielding one they should simply pack their bags and get the f*ck out. When i was in the military i've been all over Europe and this is the same situation in every single country, given there are more "of those immigrants" in the north and west of Europe than anywhere else and i'm pretty sure that if "one of those" would tell the average Polak they're racist for wielding a Polish flag they'd get a smack in the face. We're too soft to be honest.
    Im from Denmark and never heard of any getting in trouble for waving a Danish flag nor being called racist for doing so. To us the Danish flag is festive and usually brought out on birthdays and Christmas. Not many people with flag poles left but they are here and there...

It's all wrong, as people have said. Bring a flag, you are a racist.

WE ARE NOT EVEN ALOWED TO SING OUR NATIONAL ANTHEM IN SCHOOLS BECAUSE ITS RASCIST.