Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst
... LastLast
    Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by inux94 View Post
    Not everything is loading time, again. 7200RPM is sufficient for most applications.

You are telling this guy to spend over $2000 extra on a PC that can render a detailed photoshop image 30 seconds faster............and load EVERYTHING else SLOWER than a cheap ass PC with a simple SSD in it.

Only two explanations can follow.....

1) You are an extreme photoshop benchmark nutter

or

2) You are a salesman for intel

$2000 dollars to save 30 seconds of your life for a single picture render............LOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOL

My $800 dollar PC will boot up and be sitting on desktop ready to use a full 25 seconds before that AlienWare machine EVERY TIME I TURN MY PC ON.

Some people here offer the worst possible PC advice...

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by alienlool View Post
    You are telling this guy to spend over $2000 extra on a PC that can render a detailed photoshop image 30 seconds faster............and load EVERYTHING else SLOWER than a cheap ass PC with a simple SSD in it.

or

$2000 dollars to save 30 seconds of your life for a single picture render............LOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOL

My $800 dollar PC will boot up and be sitting on desktop ready to use a full 25 seconds before that AlienWare machine EVERY TIME I TURN MY PC ON.

I can't see where he's telling him to buy the Alienware PC, only that some pre-builds can work out as a saving for other companies offering it.

SSDs aren't cheap and HDDs are a better alternative when the user isn't too fussed about loading times, or the applications being used aren't loading time intensive. If a person was using photoshop manipulation software as part of a job or seriously in some other way then I, too, would recommend an HDD. To get a SSD of the size required to store a lot of images in a .bmp format would cost them a fortune, as it would have to have huge storage space to accommodate the need.
    It's always been Wankershim!
    My Brand!

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Theodon View Post
    I can't see where he's telling him to buy the Alienware PC, only that some pre-builds can work out as a saving for other companies offering it.

SSDs aren't cheap and HDDs are a better alternative when the user isn't too fussed about loading times, or the applications being used aren't loading time intensive. If a person was using photoshop manipulation software as part of a job or seriously in some other way then I, too, would recommend an HDD. To get a SSD of the size required to store a lot of images in a .bmp format would cost them a fortune, as it would have to have huge storage space to accommodate the need.
    So the conclusion is.....

The Alienware PC is recomended......................if you are a photoshop professional that will be storing hundreds of gigabytes worth of .bmp images and cba to wait 30 seconds longer to render an image........

I guess that justifies the extra $2000 price tag over a PC that can do the same photoshop job, but 30 seconds slower.

Really?

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Gobra View Post
    I know people that have had Alienware and have loved it, and it's lasted for years
    Yeah. About 3 years ago, I bought a maxed out Alienware Aurora PC, and I'm still absolutely satisfied.

Yet it's hard to deny that they are slightly overprized, even if you deduct the assemble-part.
    I'd buy it again, though - anytime. I just love the looks.
    Last edited by mmocc02219cc8b; 2012-10-28 at 12:13 PM.

Well, You'l be paying for the cost of it being assembled etc too, they don't just get the parts and they magically assemble themselves:P
    The store where I buy my stuff charges 20€ to put the complete PC together...

I'd love for you to show some real world examples of this......

I already said the alienware would get more fps in games than my machine.

My SSD would destroy this 7200rpm on EVERYTHING that has loading times.

All my games will load way faster, my machine will boot up much faster, and everything in windows will run faster that has loading times. (Browsers, applications, etc).

The only thing that the alienware will be better than my machine at in real world usage is more fps in most games, that i already mentioned.
    http://www.anandtech.com/bench/Product/287?vs=552

Alienware is semi overpriced its not as bad as you think, the internal cooling solution is pretty good a lot of shrouds and direction of air flow. Idk why anyone would blow nearly $3000 on a pc and not have the actual knowledge of pc parts and what you need vs whats for sale.

---------- Post added 2012-10-28 at 12:19 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Doylez View Post
    The store where I buy my stuff charges 20€ to put the complete PC together...
    Be thankful Alienware doesnt follow the consumer markup, most items you buy at any store have an average markup from the price of parts @ about 300%, effectively making a $3 meal cost $9, or in the case of that alienware $6000

10+ Year Old Account
    I got the Alienware X51 and I love it. It runs fast and doesn't have much of a hum or buzzing that most computers have which is a huge plus.

Quote Originally Posted by Uggorthaholy View Post
    Thanks but no thanks, Lora, for making me question everything in existence forever.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Milkshake86 View Post

Alienware is semi overpriced its not as bad as you think, the internal cooling solution is pretty good a lot of shrouds and direction of air flow. Idk why anyone would blow nearly 3000 on a pc and not have the actual knowledge of pc parts and what you need vs whats for sale.
    I love how the i7 2600k actually beats the i7 3930k in a few gaming performances too.

More people need to get educated that overclocking / getting better processors offer zero to little gaming advantages.

Half the people i know who overclock their processors do it because they think they are going to get better fps in games.....................

10+ Year Old Account
    ofcourse its overpriced, your paying for the brand and the usually amazing looking cases. Though my boyfriend bought a laptop from them and loves it, and it does look fucking sexy. If you know how to build your own computer though then ofcourse you would save tons of money.

10+ Year Old Account
    I love how the i7 2600k actually beats the i7 3930k in a few gaming performances too.

More people need to get educated that overclocking / getting better processors offer zero to little gaming advantages.

Half the people i know who overclock their processors do it because they think they are going to get better fps in games.....................
    There are absolutely no benefits to overclocking. You are just going to fry the card faster and waste your money.

Quote Originally Posted by Uggorthaholy View Post
    Thanks but no thanks, Lora, for making me question everything in existence forever.

10+ Year Old Account
    Like most Alienware products, yes. You'd be better off buying parts yourself, build it yourself which is pretty easy these days, or if you have a friend/live by a trusted tech shop, have them build it for you.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Lora View Post
    There are absolutely no benefits to overclocking. You are just going to fry the card faster and waste your money.
    Buying better hardware costs money.
    Overclocking is an upgrade for free.

Of course there is a benefit, otherwise people wouldn't do it. You can't tell me you would pay X amount more for the next CPU step up and then say overclocking yields no benefit.

Quote Originally Posted by Lora View Post
    You'll knock a year, maybe two off the expected lifetime of well over 10 years. You will upgrade the computer within 5. Therefore the degradation, so long as you are not being an idiot and pumping 2V+ through a SB/IB processor, is not going to be noticeable at all. Games like WoW scale almost linearly with clock speed changes on SB and IB, to say it does not make a difference is simply not true.

10+ Year Old Account

or

I never told him to buy it, infact if you read my posts earlier you'll see I told him he was paying $900 for the name.

Not everything is loading times, once you actually start up photoshop a 7200RPM HDD will be more than enough for any project.

Once your start posting in a more respectful manner I'll start taking your posts seriously.
    Last edited by inux94; 2012-10-28 at 01:03 PM.
    i7-6700k 4.2GHz | Gigabyte GTX 980 | 16GB Kingston HyperX | Intel 750 Series SSD 400GB | Corsair H100i | Noctua IndustialPPC
    ASUS PB298Q 4K | 2x QNIX QH2710 | CM Storm Rapid w/ Reds | Zowie AM | Schiit Stack w/ Sennheiser HD8/Antlion Modmic

Armory

Deleted
    Is the Alienware Aurora overpriced?
    Fixed that for you.
    and yes. ALL Alienwear is horribly over priced.

you would be better off taking the money you would spend on a "brand name" machine (its a dell in a fancy box now though) and spending it on parts that you build yourself.

The Lightbringer GKLeatherCraft's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Nobody is saying Alienware products are shit.

Learn to read, and stop misquoting.
    I think you should learn to read, try reading the thread and you will see Valock called it "overpriced bullSHIT" So clearly it isn't me that needs to learn something lol

And misquoting? Care to try to explain that one? My reply was directly in response to what i quoted, I'm sorry, but you are full of fail

Well, You'l be paying for the cost of it being assembled etc too, they don't just get the parts and they magically assemble themselves:P

OT: You could say -everything- pretty much in the world is overpriced, because you could get parts yourself and make it cheaper, But if you want one, go for it, Ignore the people saying "don't buy them their shit" Because they are talking out of their ass, Alienware wouldn't be part of the biggest computer company in the world, and probably the biggest PC gaming company if their products were "shit"
    I know people that have had Alienware and have loved it, and it's lasted for years
    You seem to think it's more difficult than it actually is, assembling a computer yourself takes maybe 10-20 minutes at the most. While the computers they make aren't "bad" they are overpriced, and for the price of this computer you could easily make a better one yourself. Just because it costs the more, doesn't mean it's better, please discontinue the spreading of misinformation and/or inexperience in this subject.

OP: Considering making your own computer, if you don't know how to, or what to buy, you can find various builds on this forum, they usually show up on the front page every so often, and you can look at a guide or someone can help you put it together.

I'd love for you to show some real world examples of this......

I already said the alienware would get more fps in games than my machine.

My SSD would destroy this 7200rpm on EVERYTHING that has loading times.

All my games will load way faster, my machine will boot up much faster, and everything in windows will run faster that has loading times. (Browsers, applications, etc).

The only thing that the alienware will be better than my machine at in real world usage is more fps in most games, that i already mentioned.
    right so the ONLY advantage of a SSD is loading times and not actual game play or "use" of the program if its not a game, tbh thats not a large plus lol
    Using a normal HD, they lasts longer and for the sake of a few saved seconds I can play a game with just as good FPS. SSD's are hardly the be all and end all hehe

And if you can build a PC yourself then I'd go for that. That alien ware does not seem amazing for that price tag.
    Science has made us gods even before we are worthy of being men: Jean Rostand. Yeah, Atheism is a religion like bald is a hair colour!.
    Classic: "The tank is the driver, the healer is the fuel, and the DPS are the kids sitting in the back seat screaming and asking if they're there yet."
    Irony >> "do they even realize that having a state religion IS THE REASON WE LEFT BRITTEN? god these people are idiots"

The Lightbringer GKLeatherCraft's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by IRunSoFarAway View Post
    You seem to think it's more difficult than it actually is, assembling a computer yourself takes maybe 10-20 minutes at the most. While the computers they make aren't "bad" they are overpriced, and for the price of this computer you could easily make a better one yourself. Just because it costs the more, doesn't mean it's better, please discontinue the spreading of misinformation and/or inexperience in this subject..
    It seems we have alot of people in this thread who fail to read properly=)
    Please, point out -ANY-part of what i said, says that "more expensive is better" or anything to do with how hard/easy it is to assemble a PC, Please, try..oh what was that? You can't? Oh dear, Bless you=)

I have built PC's myself, i know it isn't hard -if- you know what you're doing, It definitely -won't- be 10 minutes, putting the hardware together yes, but not installing the OS, and all drivers and updating etc, so how about you hush your silly claims i'm spreading "misinformation" lol, and stop spreading your crap good chap

10+ Year Old Account
    Alienware PCs are just like Nike shoes. They might be good build quality, but you're still paying twice what it's worth for the logo slapped on the side.
    Knowledge is power, and power corrupts. So study hard and be evil.