Page 2 of 39 FirstFirst
... LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Alicice View Post
    Power going to be out for 7+ days again for the third time in the past year. Can't fucking wait.
    Not saying that such storm system would not have dramatic impact on Europes Infrastructure, but I keep praying that America must fix this problem. The power grid is in horrendous condition.
    Pictures like this are not the exception, rather the rule throughout the entire country... And it's an embarrassment in my opinion.

There shouldn't be a single pole to see. All those lines should be buried underneath the ground.

I hope you guys stay safe up there... I got friends on the coast too.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Silhouette of Seraphim View Post
    Stores here in New England today:

Anyway, it is just a hurricane. We're not unfamiliar with them. This one's big and has some bite, but we'll get through it like all the others.

But, for my journey to work tomorrow morning, I'm planning for being stuck and unable to travel, in case shit gets crazy with 75 mph winds. Backpack full of essentials, change of clothes and shoes, car stocked up. Bringing my netbook so I can emergency charge my phone off of it should that become necessary.

Bring a few different kinds of sandwiches and other non-emergency rations, and I'll be fine. It's nothing to panic about.

---------- Post added 2012-10-28 at 08:39 PM ----------

Schools are all closed where I live. NYC shut down all public transport.
    Yeah, there are too many paranoid people out there picking the stores clean like vultures at a corpse. What kind of idiot doesnt have at least 3 or 4 days worth of food at all times in their house?

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Orlong View Post
    Yeah, there are too many paranoid people out there picking the stores clean like vultures at a corpse. What kind of idiot doesnt have at least 3 or 4 days worth of food at all times in their house?
    lol me. I usually just get take-out. Lazy like that.

I could survive with what I have though. It wouldn't be great. I'm not real worried where I am though.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Wildtree View Post
    Not saying that such storm system would not have dramatic impact on Europes Infrastructure, but I keep praying that America must fix this problem. The power grid is in horrendous condition.
    Pictures like this are not the exception, rather the rule throughout the entire country... And it's an embarrassment in my opinion.

There shouldn't be a single pole to see. All those lines should be buried underneath the ground.

I hope you guys stay safe up there... I got friends on the coast too.
    Why waste 200 billion dollars removing poles when the oles work just fine. Thats why we have so much debt, wasting money to replace stuff that works just fine. IF power goes out, they put the wires back up on the ole. Not to mention people dont want their yards dug up to put wires underground and we dont want to deal with YEARS of closed and obstructed roads while they do it

... Quite a lot of people i'd bet.

10+ Year Old Account
    you guys crack me up......

If shit hits the fan and destruction happens, people cry foul and blame the officials that they didn't warn detailed enough, or not soon enough.
    When the warnings come and the people prepare themselves, other people come forth calling the others paranoid..

lol

It's funny to observe.
    Unfortunately, you just can never know with storms, and especially such a storm, that brews together out of 2 storm systems that are of complete different nature.

Why waste 200 billion dollars removing poles when the oles work just fine. Thats why we have so much debt, wasting money to replace stuff that works just fine. IF power goes out, they put the wires back up on the ole. Not to mention people dont want their yards dug up to put wires underground and we dont want to deal with YEARS of closed and obstructed roads while they do it
    Because you could save money on repairs due to environement and make it more reliable too. Less susceptible to vandalism and so on.

So basically in theory a blitz sort of effect will come from ONE super storm...
    That's going to be scary when these start sounding.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PvdVxr8rMLM

10+ Year Old Account
    Behind you, what I'm not? Then who's this person I'm behind?
    As a South Floridan, I'm actually kinda glad a disastrous hurricane isn't targeting us for once .

Its a long time since I experienced a hurricane - they never really get bad here. Thank goodness for the UK being a meat shield...

10+ Year Old Account
    It wouldn't cost 200 billion dollars.... They would only have to do it in the states that are prone to hurricanes, they already started doing it here in Florida.
    These aren't the spoilers you're looking for.

Move along.

Quote Originally Posted by Blueobelisk View Post
    Now, Waaldo is prepared to look for this person like Prince Charming testing everyone to see just how bad their psychological disorder is if their foot fits in the glass slipper.

Quote Originally Posted by Wælcyrie View Post
    So basically in theory a blitz sort of effect will come from ONE super storm...
    That's going to be scary when these start sounding.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PvdVxr8rMLM
    That sound always irks me. We test our sirens every year. And I think one of them is placed on the identical building next to mine...

---------- Post added 2012-10-29 at 01:54 AM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Waaldo View Post
    It wouldn't cost 200 billion dollars.... They would only have to do it in the states that are prone to hurricanes, they already started doing it here in Florida.
    Would probably also be beneficial in those prone to tornadoes unless they already did that

10+ Year Old Account
    Enjoy the following:
    Being behind on technology with the rest of the modern world for about 50 years on that..
    The power outages that last for up to weeks, whereas in the other countries that takes up to a few hours the most.
    The constant revenue loss that's caused by wide spread power outages. That alone costs so much money that the billions spent would have long been back in..
    And I can tell you that much, that of all the people I do know and talk about it, everyone's sick of it, and they'd rather have uninterrupted service.
    When you are out of power in the winter with 15 degrees outside, for a few weeks.... Then talk again.
    People die from that stuff..
    Not all who die are killed by the storm itself..... Most die from the consequences the storms cause due to lousy infrastructure.

One word, OVERHYPED.

It really isn't as bad as people are making it out to be. Some of it has "brushed" by where I live.

Mass hysteria is a funny thing.

10+ Year Old Account
    Bring it on Sandy :P
    Quote Originally Posted by Unknown
    "The world is a magical place full of people waiting to be offended by something"
    Quote Originally Posted by Bertrand Russell
    "The time you enjoy wasting is not wasted time"

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Cattaclysmic View Post
    Because you could save money on repairs due to environement and make it more reliable too. Less susceptible to vandalism and so on.
    Bingo....
    And power goes out here in the US way often.. Counting small outages that last up to an hour, one can say there is one at least every 2 - 3 weeks.
    Those cylinders the guy works on in the picture are transformers, and they blow up rather frequently.

I would like to experience one of them, but I'm glad I dont have to. Really happy I live in Norway where we deal with a winter which on the average probably is rougher than what most of this community experiences, but we're used to it and it really doesn't hurt us. I was surprised to see multiple people here mention how you lost power for a week+ during "winter", whilst I rarely experience powercuts that last for more than an hour, probably once or twice during winter. But we don't have volcanoes, earthquakes, tsunamies, hurricanes, tornadoes etc in large scale. We have some "minor" ones on parts of the coast, but nothing too biggy, nothing compared to what other parts of the world experience at least.

Some of the things going into my backpack for tomorrow. Don't feel like taking all the rest of the stuff out. I'll make a few simple sandwiches to bring with me as well, got some ham and turkey, and of course peanut butter. That'll do for lunch, since I doubt I'll be going out, and will be fine in the event of power outages. 2 cases of water in my car, and another 1 1/2 here. That should keep me plenty even in the event everything goes tits up until things can be reasonably restored.

Bringing a good change of clothes in my car as well as my boots. (Office wear isn't ideal for weathering natural disasters.)

There's really nothing to panic about. Just a little preparation.
    They can dynamite Devil Reef, but that will bring no relief, Y'ha-nthlei is deeper than they know.

The majority of the flooding in New Orleans was because the town is below sea level. New york isn't, so it shouldn't be as bad.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Wildtree View Post
    Enjoy the following:
    Being behind on technology with the rest of the modern world for about 50 years on that..
    The power outages that last for up to weeks, whereas in the other countries that takes up to a few hours the most.
    The constant revenue loss that's caused by wide spread power outages. That alone costs so much money that the billions spent would have long been back in..
    And I can tell you that much, that of all the people I do know and talk about it, everyone's sick of it, and they'd rather have uninterrupted service.
    When you are out of power in the winter with 15 degrees outside, for a few weeks.... Then talk again.
    People die from that stuff..
    Not all who die are killed by the storm itself..... Most die from the consequences the storms cause due to lousy infrastructure.
    If they were responsible people, they would have at least 1 generator that they could run an electric heater off of and then they wouldnt freeze to death. Thats what I do when we get snow storms that kill power