Ipod Mini Question

Yes its not really a computer question but I was hoping for some help. So last night while raiding I was listening to some music and itunes froze suddenly mid song. I didn't think anything of it at the time. When I got the chance I tried to force close it but even that was being stubborn. I figured it was itunes being gay as usual and left it for the night. So this morning I went back to the situation and looked at the ipod and noticed it was frozen as well. So I unplugged it and it was making a humming or very quiet grinding sound. The logo would appear with the grinding for about 10 seconds then I would get the sad ipod screen. So I took it apart, unplugged the battery and HDD then re-plugged them both in with the same results. I tried to get it to the disk menu on the ipod but it won't go anywhere but the logo screen and the sad ipod screen.

This is a really old ipod so it could be that the HDD died but it could possibly be something else as well for all I know. I don't really care about the ipod what I care about are the songs that were saved only to the ipod. So is their some way to hook the HDD up to my computer and get the files or am I screwed?
    My System
    Ivy Bridge 3570k OC 4.0
    ASRock Z77 Extreme4
    Saphire 290
    Mushkin Enhanced Blackline Frostbyte DDR3 1600 8GB

10+ Year Old Account
    if you heard a grinding noise from a HDD based ipod, than odds are the HDD is toast, it is possible to get some data recovered, but its expensive, very expensive

OT, but this is generally why music enthusiasts and audiophiles rip their own music and dont use ipods, when the mp3 player dies, you still have your music backed up on your computer, and a HDD based mp3 player like a Archos5 is serviceable

Quote Originally Posted by Cyanotical View Post
    if you heard a grinding noise from a HDD based ipod, than odds are the HDD is toast, it is possible to get some data recovered, but its expensive, very expensive

OT, but this is generally why music enthusiasts and audiophiles rip their own music and dont use ipods, when the mp3 player dies, you still have your music backed up on your computer, and a HDD based mp3 player like a Archos5 is serviceable
    So would something like http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_nkw=...at=0&_from=R40 be pointless
    My System
    Ivy Bridge 3570k OC 4.0
    ASRock Z77 Extreme4
    Saphire 290

10+ Year Old Account
    pretty much, that grinding noise is the heads which have crashed on the plates of the hard drive, think of a record player and somebody mashing the needle into the record

Quote Originally Posted by Cyanotical View Post
    pretty much, that grinding noise is the heads which have crashed on the plates of the hard drive, think of a record player and somebody mashing the needle into the record
    One last thing I guess, when I plug in the ipod to my computer it can't find it, is that a HDD problem as well.
    My System
    Ivy Bridge 3570k OC 4.0
    ASRock Z77 Extreme4
    Saphire 290

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by theturn View Post
    One last thing I guess, when I plug in the ipod to my computer it can't find it, is that a HDD problem as well.
    it would make sense, but i dont know enough about ipods specifically to say either way with confidence, mine just sits in my junk drawer collecting dust