Red face Looking for some tips!

Hi everyone!

I have played a priest since Vanilla, but recently have changed my main to a Resto Shaman for MoP 25man raids.

I am looking for some pointers or words of advice on how I can improve!

Here is a link to a recent Logs parse:

worldoflogs.com/reports/rt-60v2bw81lglkc8s7/sum/healingDone/

Any constructive criticism would be appreciated!

Thanks,

Izzy

I always have a hard time giving healers advice. If people don't die in a raid then you are doing a good job collectively. If you're assigned to a tank and the tank dies then you are either under geared or it's a timing issue (you aren't anticipating when the tank will be taking dmg properly).

Hey Izzy! I think it’s awesome that you want to improve.

Quick question on your stat choice. Is there a reason why you’re running with so much haste? (3849 haste rating) You even dropped mastery for haste. I can’t figure out if you’re stacking mastery or haste, because you’re gemming for mastery but then reforging out of it for haste – which you’re past the first breakpoint, but not enough to hit the second breakpoint.

Your choice of talents and glyphs are good. I prefer to not use Telluric Currents for most of the fights. The miniscule dps increase and the sliver of mana gain doesn’t seem worth it for the most part. But that’s definitely a matter of personal playstyle. I can see how healing 25 man would lend itself more to TC.

You were using the Water Shield glyph for your Elegon attempts, right? It seems like your mana gain seems a little low not that you have much control over that, I just wondered if you may have swapped it out. A glyphed water shield is a mana gain over the unglyphed one for most of the fights in MV. I use it for all except Spiritbinder.

Try and work on casting riptide more. Your uptime on riptide and tidal waves seems low (looking at your longest duration 25 man attempt; 9:51). Your ES uptime is low as well. What I’d suggest is ES the boss tank, riptide same tank and cast chain heal periodically off said tank. You’ll take advantage of the buff to healing from ES being on the target, as well as riptide/chain heal buff. That would take care of the melee.

Then, on the ranged group (specifically for the Elegon fight), use UL/Healing Rain. I noticed you never used Unleash Elements during any of the 25 man attempts. That’s a huge boost to Healing Rain. Your healing rain healing is extremely low considering you’re healing 25 man. It should be more than 4.8% of your overall healing (all Elegon attempts). I can tell by your choice of healing spells that you favor chain heal, so feel free to riptide the add tank (or a ranged) and chain heal off them, too.

Make sure you’re timing your elementals at the appropriate time. (I haven't figured out how to find this in the parses)

Nice job on dropping Healing Stream totem! I know that’s my weak point, so kudos to you for that! It seems you’re taking advantage of Ascendance, too.

Overall, it looks like your healing team has quite a bit of overheal (41.3%), which tells me that people stay pretty full on hp. You may want to consider dropping a few percents of mastery in favor of crit (regen/throughput stat) or strive to hit the next haste breakpoint.

I glanced at your 10 man attempts/kill, as well. The uptimes on riptide, tidal waves, etc seem to be a little better. And your hps was almost 10k higher.

Just my two cents…

Hi Mavalynn!

Thanks so much for your insightful response.

I did play around with changing glyphs for my ten-man raid this past Monday night. I had never used glyph of water shield before, but noticed that it was really awesome last night! I was regenerating a significant amount more mana then without the glyph.

As for my stat choice, correct me if I'm wrong: The 2nd haste breakpoint is 20.01% haste, or 3764? That is what I was aiming for. If that is incorrect, could you guide me? I have been trying to stay at or a sliver above 50% mastery as I thought this was cookie-cutter.

I have really never been a big healing-rain healer. I'm more raw-heals, single-target. I guess that comes from 6.5 years of playing a disc priest. I'm sure if I used it more frequently I could be the top-healer in group for 25's with the extra healing rain output?

I found 10 man much easier to gauge my heals as many healers do. Working with one other versus 5 others.

Please feel free to respond to my questions and give more advice!

Best,

Izzy

Quote Originally Posted by Kungfufyting View Post
    I did play around with changing glyphs for my ten-man raid this past Monday night. I had never used glyph of water shield before, but noticed that it was really awesome last night! I was regenerating a significant amount more mana then without the glyph.
    I love the glyph! That explains why your mana returns seemed higher on the 10 man attempts!

As for my stat choice, correct me if I'm wrong: The 2nd haste breakpoint is 20.01% haste, or 3764? That is what I was aiming for. If that is incorrect, could you guide me? I have been trying to stay at or a sliver above 50% mastery as I thought this was cookie-cutter.
    Initially, I looked up the values on Icy Veins, and their numbers are different (I'm not sure where their numbers are coming from). However, I went to a couple of different sources and the figure/percent you have is what I saw, too. That's what to shoot for to get the extra tick on healing steam totem and healing tide totem. So, if it's within your playstyle and you feel like that would be more beneficial then the other secondary stats, keep with it! I'm at the 50% mastery, as well...but we're also typically getting only around 20% overheal or lower. Note: This is 10 man where I'm one of two healers. I'm not suggesting you drop a ton of mastery, it just seems to me that if you're running with that many healers and there's a ton of overheal, raid members aren't staying at low hp for very long therefore devaluing mastery. But that would be something you'd be best at gauging depending on your raid and healing comp.

I have really never been a big healing-rain healer. I'm more raw-heals, single-target. I guess that comes from 6.5 years of playing a disc priest. I'm sure if I used it more frequently I could be the top-healer in group for 25's with the extra healing rain output?
    Definitely. Healing Rain is awesome, especially with UE. It's usually my top heal even in 10 mans. It's a nice "set and forget" kinda heal. I don't suggest spamming it, but using it when there's a clump of people missing hp or about to take damage. Of course there's a place for single target heals, but if there's a group of people within vicinity of each other who are missing hp and aren't in danger of dying, why not use 1 gcd (or two with UE) to heal them with healing rain rather than 2 or 3 or even 4 gcds to cast single target heals to heal them.

I found 10 man much easier to gauge my heals as many healers do. Working with one other versus 5 others.
    And that's exactly why I enjoy 10 man more. I just feel like there's more "controlled" healing. I use more in my arsenal of spells rather than just healing the mass. But that's just personal preference.

How are you with mana? Were you running into any issues in either the 25 man or 10 man? Just curious about the differences you found between the two formats.