Possible PSU error?

I am getting a black screen of death on my computer. No, not a blue screen, black.

The system is still on, but loses video connection to the monitor.

Its not the cable to the monitor or the monitor itself. I also do not think its the videocard, because I tried it with a friends, same thing.

This usually happens during games, but sometimes just happens randomly.

Overheating may be the issue but it only runs at around 60-65 degrees C during games.

So is it the power supply? I ordered a new one in case. My current one is 700W.

The new one is 775W, but I was just thinking maybe the old one is going bad?

make sense to anyone?

If you want my specs:
    6 gigs of ram
    Geforce 460x
    Intel i7 920

well, it could be, but like I said, I used my friends card which is completely different and it did the same thing.

What drivers are you using? Does anything show up in the Event Viewer when this happens?

Quote Originally Posted by Azyle17 View Post
    well, it could be, but like I said, I used my friends card which is completely different and it did the same thing.
    Do you have the new psu installed in your system?

Nope. The new power supply is on its way so I'm still using the old one, it'll work fine sometimes, then decide to just go to a black screen. Also, it's having issues powering on lately which is why I suspect a power issue.

---------- Post added 2012-10-30 at 04:44 PM ----------

Any more ideas?

---------- Post added 2012-10-30 at 09:55 PM ----------

anything at all?

Nope. The new power supply is on its way so I'm still using the old one, it'll work fine sometimes, then decide to just go to a black screen. Also, it's having issues powering on lately which is why I suspect a power issue.

---------- Post added 2012-10-30 at 04:44 PM ----------

Any more ideas?

---------- Post added 2012-10-30 at 09:55 PM ----------

anything at all?
    You just said it. "Also, it's having issues powering on lately which is why I suspect a power issue"

Which brand did you buy and model?

15+ Year Old Account
    Does your system beep when powered on? If so, what's the beep pattern?

Hi, posted another topic about this, because i'm impatient. I bought a 775W diablotek.

Just installed it, no crashes, turns right on ( by crash, I mean black screen )

---------- Post added 2012-10-31 at 11:17 PM ----------

And yes, i'm partially aware that Diablotek is not the best PSU on the market, but it was cheap and affordable at the moment. Looks nice, and its doing its job.

Hi, posted another topic about this, because i'm impatient. I bought a 775W diablotek.

Just installed it, no crashes, turns right on ( by crash, I mean black screen )

---------- Post added 2012-10-31 at 11:17 PM ----------

And yes, i'm partially aware that Diablotek is not the best PSU on the market, but it was cheap and affordable at the moment. Looks nice, and its doing its job.

I'd return that Powersupply ASAP... like waiting outside Best Buy at 3 AM in a tent ASAP. Diablotek makes pretty much the absolute worst PSUs, I wouldn't take one for free. Every minute you have that thing in your PC you are putting it at real risk of killing other components with that PSU. Here is a general idea of how bad they are. These reviews are done with proper load testers and oscilloscopes and not just a volt meter, and includes actual unit dis-assembly and analysis of the components used to build the unit (ie. checking for quality). The 650 watt Diablotek Burned out at ~300 watts, the 1050 watt unit burned at 600 watts and spewed glass inside the test case. They also have poor voltage regulation that spikes up and down (this over time damages components).

http://www.hardocp.com/article/2010/...upply_review/9

It has been a long time since we have seen such a useless power supply come through our review process. In fact the only unit I remember off the top of my head that comes close to matching this piece of crap was the Ultra X2 750W EE (Exploding Edition).....

The Bottom Line

Diablotek seemingly tried to polish a turd with a turd and as such we got the expected outcome, a pile of crap. Given the horrible build quality of the unit and poor component selection of the unit that is hardly a startling result. Users would be better off taking their cash and setting it on fire rather than buying this unit. There is quite literally no price point or situation where the Diablotek should be a consideration for users as it failed almost every test possible today. Retailers and e-tailers should be ashamed to be selling such a product.

http://www.jonnyguru.com/modules.php...print&reid=187

Here's their "1000" watt PSU that can barely do 500.

Summary

Here's the good news - the Diablotek RPM-1050 is a good looking power supply. The cables are nicely sleeved, the color scheme is lovely, and it comes with some good looking velcro cable ties. Here's the bad news - everything else. This unit would not do over six hundred watts at room temperature without some serious issues, including severely out of spec ripple and severely out of spec voltage numbers. The 12V secondary parts are rated at 60A combined while the power supply itself would have you believe it is capable of 78A at 12V. This unit, quite simply, is a 500 watt unit pretending to be twice as powerful as it really is with a heatpipe added purely as a gimmick. Buy something else, people
    Last edited by ewhenn; 2012-11-02 at 05:54 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by ewhenn View Post
    I'd return that Powersupply ASAP, like... waiting outside Best Buy a 3 AM in a tent ASAP. Diablotek makes pretty much the absolute worst PSUs, I wouldn't take one for free. Every minute you have that thing in your PC you are putting it at real risk of killing other components with that PSU.
    I don't know this brand but I quickly checked the last review. I thought first he bought a psu with diablo sticker on it :P

As long as I can see I don't see the 12V rail giving an output like 15V to exagerate. This PSU was rather not reaching the voltages instead of overvolting.

For now on, I can conclude he won't get into damaged components with voltages being way too low doesn't hurt.

Users would be better off taking their cash and setting it on fire rather than buying this unit.
    If the PSU never overvolted, he was being ironic.

The reviews were in 2010..

I'm pretty sure he has a Diablotek UL series 775w, which is a new design and it performs better.

Still, I have to agree that you're right about it he should return it and get another one.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ezk9OA7aKOE

Handy for newyear.. :P

Quote Originally Posted by Faithh View Post
    I don't know this brand but I quickly checked the last review. I thought first he bought a psu with diablo sticker on it :P

As long as I can see I don't see the 12V rail giving an output like 15V to exagerate. This PSU was rather not reaching the voltages instead of overvolting.

For now on, I can conclude he won't get into damaged components with voltages being way too low doesn't hurt.

If the PSU never overvolted, he was being ironic.
    It's not just the raw voltage that is important. The microsecond ups and downs in voltage is known as ripple, the size of the swing in voltage is what damages components and also cause system instability. PSUs in PCs are all switching mode PSUs so some ripple is innate. Good PSUs keep this to ATX specification (or better). PCs don't use linear PSUs for a couple reasons - they would weigh like 100 pounds, and be extremely expensive. How a PSU handles ripple is important to the life of your PC.

Google: "Switched mode power supplies" if you want to real more about it.

See: http://www.hardwaresecrets.com/print...-Are-Wrong/410

Units that present noise and ripple levels outside specifications overload components from your computer (especially electrolytic capacitors from the motherboard and video cards) and may lead your PC to present random errors (random reset, crash, Blue Screen of Death, etc).

I'm pretty sure he has a Diablotek UL series 775w, which is a new design and it performs better.
    I highly doubt this. Diablotek has literally made 0 products that are good. They epitomize the company known for selling junk.
    Last edited by ewhenn; 2012-11-02 at 06:48 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by ewhenn View Post
    It's not just the raw voltage that is important. The microsecond ups and downs in voltage is known as ripple, the size of the swing in voltage is what damages components and also cause system instability. PSUs in PCs are all switching mode PSUs so some ripple is innate. Good PSUs keep this to ATX specification (or better). PCs don't use linear PSUs for a couple reasons - they would weigh like 100 pounds, and be extremely expensive. How a PSU handles ripple is important to the life of your PC.

Google: "Switched mode power supplies" if you want to real more about it.

See: http://www.hardwaresecrets.com/print...-Are-Wrong/410

Units that present noise and ripple levels outside specifications overload components from your computer (especially electrolytic capacitors from the motherboard and video cards) and may lead your PC to present random errors (random reset, crash, Blue Screen of Death, etc).

I highly doubt this. Diablotek has literally made 0 products that are good. They epitomize the company known for selling junk.
    Ty for your information btw.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16817822015

Kinda very overpriced for that. 20eur more you have something from corsair or be quite or antec while a 600w was enough for this setup..