Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ...
    Quote Originally Posted by Gheld View Post
    I mean do you honestly believe, that if somebody was going to create a simulated universe, and was so technically sophisticated about it that they actually could that they would make such a stupid oversight, such as to even create the possibility to figure it out, rather than simply have it coded into the simulation itself that perception is overridden when somebody does something that is capable of revealing that it's a simulation.
    I don't think the perception would even need to be overridden. Anyone who is an integral part of a simulation would not be able to perceive the world around them to be a simulation unless they have an outside point of reference.

Which, like you said, turns the whole question completely moot. Either we live in a simulation or we don't - you can choose to believe what you want, because short of the game programmers choosing to communicate with us in some way, we will never find out the answer.

Quote Originally Posted by Gheld View Post
    I mean do you honestly believe, that if somebody was going to create a simulated universe, and was so technically sophisticated about it that they actually could that they would make such a stupid oversight, such as to even create the possibility to figure it out, rather than simply have it coded into the simulation itself that perception is overridden when somebody does something that is capable of revealing that it's a simulation.
    You're assuming it's inherently bad or problematic for the simulation population to discover that their reality is artificially generated. What if the 'creator' (in the most generic, non-religious sense of the word) simply didn't care whether we ever discovered we're in a simulation? In that case the population's knowledge would be limited only by input/output restrictions. Consider the metaphor of a spacecraft capable of emerging from the universe into whatever comprises some supposed external multiverse being a sort of query to the outside computer network, with the resulting response input being visuals of that multiverse. Then there is no need to automatically terminate the universe once mankind or some other species grew smart/powerful enough to reveal the falseness of its 'realtiy'. The creator, if he had a vested interest in the truth remaining hidden, need only make it completely impossible to communicate with the outside, 'real', network in any way, i.e. by making it impossible for any spacecraft to ever leave the universe.

Which is, incidentally, an awesome way to think about technology, even if it proves incorrect. Right now we're trying to cure cancer and colonize Mars, for instance. Suppose that leads to stem cell engineering and colonization of the entire solar system. Suppose that then leads to super-intelligent modified human beings and interstellar travel. And finally, in a future unrecognizably advanced, we gain the ability to travel out of or directly manipulate the universe itself, ultimately allowing us to engage some theoretical creator and question him about our true purpose, only to reveal that that very process was a test it intended, and we have passed. If nothing else, it's an amusing thought experiment with which to annoy any nihilists you happen across.

Anyway, I'll probably be committed for this rambling, but the bottom line is no one can state any fundamental rules about the possibility or impossibility that the universe is a simulation. We have no way to conceive of the technology which would make that possible, or the nature/intent of the creator who undertook such an endeavor. Just have fun with the thought experiment.

Quote Originally Posted by orissa View Post
    If its a game, then its a sucky one.

No save/load function.
    Shitty UI
    No starting over
    No class selection or character customization (well, I suppose there is but its very limited and costly). Everyone starts out with a random character they have no say in.
    Broken professions
    Broken economy
    Debuffs such as disease are overpowered, dispels are either nonexistent or require expensive medical technology
    lmao that's a good one sir, i agree on most things, except UI, i think it's the best there is, there are no bars, yet you see/know every thing, no need to keep an eye on that shinny button for your cooldowns to come up, you just feel it xD

All is Mind, where everything and everyone is part of it and are creating the manifestation of reality for the common use of (the) (A)/all.

The Lightbringer
    15+ Year Old Account
    This game needs a patch to fix all these imbalances IMO.