Page 16 of 16 FirstFirst ...
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Zhangfei View Post
    Common knowledge by whom and when? Lots of latin came in from French centuries after when you're saying it did. Average could have come from the Germanic "haferei" for all you know.
    Philologists, linguists, etymologists. The Latin that existed as a result of the Romano-British was eradicated by the Germanic influx, and it was only through the reinvigoration brought by the Normans that it was reinjected.

And read what I am saying again; your words originate in Latin and come centuries after your grand sweeping French change of English, despite many of those words being anglo-french. The entire basis and structure of the language owes sod all to old French and everything to old German and Latin. I already proclaimed it was third place in affects.
    Right, because apparently language changes happen overnight. The method for the introduction was syncretism of the nobles' French with the vernacular Aenglisc, in a process which took centuries.

Oh, so me pointing out old German was the biggest influence on the anglo-saxons, immigrants from mainland Europe, makes me anglo-centric because... Germany...is... England?
    Because you seem to have this notion that English culture has been this column of stability and permanence despite all the shifts and imports that occured several times over history, and that the continent and Britain are utterly divorced in terms of cultural heritage and history.
    Quote Originally Posted by Marjane Satrapi
    The world is not divided between East and West. You are American, I am Iranian, we don't know each other, but we talk and understand each other perfectly. The difference between you and your government is much bigger than the difference between you and me. And the difference between me and my government is much bigger than the difference between me and you. And our governments are very much the same.

The only proper tea is Southern Sweet. The only proper vehicle is anything by Chevy.

All other arguments are invalid.

/merica

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Didactic View Post
    Philologists, linguists, etymologists. The Latin that existed as a result of the Romano-British was eradicated by the Germanic influx, and it was only through the reinvigoration brought by the Normans that it was reinjected.
    I'm sorry, but the chronicles of Anglo-Saxon history and the continual battles that are recorded in Latin between the kings and priests clearly show that Latin was still a very predominant lingua franca. It certainly died down a bit but never disappeared and was never "reinjected."

Right, because apparently language changes happen overnight. The method for the introduction was syncretism of the nobles' French with the vernacular Aenglisc, in a process which took centuries.
    Language change does occur more quickly. More language changes occurred during the 11th and 15th centuries, so I find this argument a bit of a lame duck one.

Because you seem to have this notion that English culture has been this column of stability and permanence despite all the shifts and imports that occured several times over history, and that the continent and Britain are utterly divorced in terms of cultural heritage and history.
    No, I have this insane notion that William the Conqueror didn't make England "France" and that you're blatantly overstating the changes that were brought. I, for my point, have already exclaimed that old French had a bearing on the language.

Even before William set his eyes on England, the kings were in contact with foreign powers and Rome through their Latin-speaking diplomats and priests. Of course Europe had an effect on England, England is a European nation.
    In fact as far as I'm aware the UK is the only european nation that outright bans guns for civilians.
    Shotguns I'll give you (provided you're allowed 12 and larger gauges... because I mean... come on...) but not .22s.
    This is why people ban guns. Gun supporters don't know what guns are.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Kerath View Post
    Not really - a hot drink on a hot day can actually keep your body cooler than a cold drink - provided that any sweat you can produce can evaporate easily (ie: it's not humid/you're not wearing lots of clothing).
    http://blogs.smithsonianmag.com/scie...cool-you-down/
    We don't get many 35C+ summer days in the UK.

I have about 4 or 5 mugs of tea a day. Just relaxing. Tastes nice. Nothing better than drinking a mug of tea while reading a book or browsing the internet. It's more for comfort than anything.

Quote Originally Posted by Jaylock View Post
    I mean I can get behind soft drinks like rootbeer, dr pepper, mt dew and creme soda, i get that those are delicious because they are very sugar based and have unique flavors that tickle the fancy, but tea?

What is it about Tea that makes it so desirable? I am just trying to grasp this, because i see all sorts of posts that reference the like of tea in the UK. Im sure there are other places in Europe and the United States where tea is consumed in bulk, but im just not sure of why.
    I am american and love tea. Tea is a very relaxing and cathartic drink. I suggest you have some good tea at a tai restaurant. It will look orange and not be sweet but it is very lovely. English breakfast is what most people in america drink and it is a very bitter tea. Tea like that kinda requires sweetener to be palatable... or you have to get use to it like beer.